truck rims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truck rims

What dropcenter rims from other makes will replace the split rims on a 2r 15 so that we can mount tublees tires?

Originally posted by studer35 View Post
    What dropcenter rims from other makes will replace the split rims on a 2r 15 so that we can mount tublees tires?
    Good Luck. I was given the option of having a new rim attached to my wheel center for my 49 2R15 or running a tube. I found a 10 lug wheel that measured very close and could probably be made to fit easily from a motor home but failed to find a suitable bolt on. The 10 lug had a different offset and was about 1/16 different between the lugs. The lug bolts were also smaller. Steve
    sigpic

Comment

Don't know if this is universally true but the tire shops here will not work on split rim wheels. Period. We took a split rim with a flat tire to get broken down and the shop wouldn't even take it apart. We explained that with no air pressure in the tire there was no danger but they wouldn't touch it. We finally talked them into letting us use their tools but they stood back like we were defusing a bomb. This makes having an old truck a lot less appeallng.

Comment

1. There are no direct replacements for the six-lug Budd wheels.

2. Why is a tubeless tire a necessity? Many Stude R/E 10, 11, 12 truck owners have been running Michelin radials with tubes on the OEM wheels for the past thirty years. The 215/85-16 is a perfect fit.

3. Take the tire/wheel to a genuine truck tire shop or farm tire shop. There are still many trucks running two piece wheels.

4. FWIW, the Stude 3/4t wheel does not have a split ring. The retaining ring is one solid piece.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          1. There are no direct replacements for the six-lug Budd wheels.

2. Why is a tubeless tire a necessity? Many Stude R/E 10, 11, 12 truck owners have been running Michelin radials with tubes on the OEM wheels for the past thirty years. The 215/85-16 is a perfect fit.

3. Take the tire/wheel to a genuine truck tire shop or farm tire shop. There are still many trucks running two piece wheels.

4. FWIW, the Stude 3/4t wheel does not have a split ring. The retaining ring is one solid piece.

jack vines
          Assuming his truck is the same setup as mine the wheels are 5 lug 17" 3 piece wheels. Totally different animal than the 3/4T. Steve
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studer35 View Post
            Don't know if this is universally true but the tire shops here will not work on split rim wheels. Period. We took a split rim with a flat tire to get broken down and the shop wouldn't even take it apart. We explained that with no air pressure in the tire there was no danger but they wouldn't touch it. We finally talked them into letting us use their tools but they stood back like we were defusing a bomb. This makes having an old truck a lot less appeallng.
            I had several shops turn me away but also found a few that would do them. If you dont have an older truck tire center nearby try a forklift repair center. The guy that did my wheels said they still use the same setup on some large forklifts. Steve
            sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the input.

If I'm travelling from Billings to Colorado Springs, off the interstate at old truck speeds, a flat tire could happen a hundred miles from a shop that would work on it. The old tires need to be replaced and I would rather not invest a thousand dollars in an obsolete arrangement. It seems predictable that places that will work on multi-piece rims are only going to get more scarce.

Comment

Working...
              X