Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1956 Commander Parkview Wagon on eBay

Hi All,

Just saw this wagon listed on eBay for a BIN of $10,950.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item56517c6e01

Are these rare in the scheme of things?
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Somewhat rare, but you know how that goes, rare is not always desirable. This one does not look like $11,000.00 worth of rare.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

T gets
      Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Somewhat rare, but you know how that goes, rare is not always desirable. This one does not look like $11,000.00 worth of rare.
      Lol, indeed it doesn't but it could if money was spent. Hope it gets a nice home.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
        T gets

Lol, indeed it doesn't but it could if money was spent. Hope it gets a nice home.
        Me too!.......My very first Studebaker was a '56 Commander 'Parkview' Station Wagon (259, auto.)

Comment

This one is way over-priced and has been for sale on multiple sites for a while.

Comment

Howdy from Austin, TX. Looks like y'all aren't all that impressed with what might possibly be "My First Studebaker"!

I've been in email contact with the seller, and he has provided me with more pics, and has been very forthcoming about the car's origins and history, as well as his reasons for selling.

In a nutshell, this was a Colorado car, original colors were what appears to be the "Sea Mist Green" and Midnight Black. The Colorado owner was a member of a Studebaker Car Club (not sure if this one?), and the current owner bought it, and had it stored in Colorado for a year, then transported to Florida, where he started working on it. He's flushed/filled all the fluids, given it a tuneup, and done the seats and headliner. Then, he evidently was able to buy a car he'd been chasing for fifteen years, so he's selling some of his "projects" to finance his dream-restore (a 1956 Dodge LaFemme).

The rust doesn't appear to be too terribly bad, whatever might be "too much" could easily be repaired. If I end up getting this beast, I'll take it back to the original colors (this yellow is just plain WRONG!) and have AC installed, detail the engine compartment, finish the interior. And I'd drive it.

I'm hoping I can make the seller an offer he'll agree to. It'd cost me about $800 to get it here from Florida, via National Car Transport.

So, I hope y'all might find it in your hearts to be kind to a Stude Noob who has been smitten by one of the "lesser" specimens...I see a lot of "Avanti" and "Hawk" purists, but hey...homely "lesser" Studebakers are still Studebakers, eh?

I think going back to the original paint scheme would make this ol' beastie look much better. Also would like to possibly kick the side-chrome trim up a notch...looks like there's a piece along the very back section that got painted instead of chrome.

Oh..and I'd probably have to name this fella "Herkimer"...those of a certain age might "get it".

Anyway, howdy from Austin, y'all!

Comment

In spite of the obvious cheering sections for Hawk and Avanti lovers, there's a distinct contingent of us that LOVE the sedans and wagons (and trucks) from Studebaker's mid-50s era. As has been said - rarity does not automatically drive value. What drives value is demand - alot of folks all clamoring to own a given item. And that's just not the case with these "lesser" offerings from Studebaker. Heck, if you look around today, you'd be forgiven for concluding that Hawks were the runaway best seller of this era - but just the opposite was the case! What's really precipitated the survivor roster of today is which models were most sought after long after Studebaker had closed up shop. Old fogies like us - reminiscing about boyhood desires. And of course, we ALL wished dad had carted us around in a sporty Hawk, rather than a stodgy ol' Champion 4-door!
              Used to be - until very recently, in fact - you couldn't pay someone to express interest in something like this wagon. Never mind that it IS a cool 50s cruiser! But no one wants to be a dupe, so reality needs to be brought into the equation - no matter what the seller THINKS it's worth or has foolishly invested in it.
              Mechanically, this would be a fairly easy resto - mechanical parts are plentiful. Cosmetically, you can look a long, long time for some key items of trim IF they're needed. Again, this is because of the years of indifference towards these models that made folks less attuned to preserving bits and pieces that no one (for the most part) was seeking.

In my humble opinion, this particular car should have had the bidding started at $1100.00 with no reserve. Of course, it's not my car to do with. Just bid with your head as opposed to your heart!
              Last edited by Roscomacaw; 01-30-2013, 09:53 AM.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I am also a fan of Studebaker wagons, especially the 2 doors. I have a '54 Conestoga that I am working on. I personally think his price is high, but considering it is a running, driving car that you really like, whether you pay his price is up to you. Just don't have expectations of getting your money back out of it if you decide to sell it later. Consider that painting the car as you have stated will likely cost you over $2000 in materials alone if you do it yourself, and probably $4000 or more if you pay someone else to do it. That is assuming you also do the rust repair. Speaking from experience, look closely at the tailgate hinge attachment points. Mine is badly rusted on the body side.

We welcome you with open arms and I am sure the wealth of expertise, experience and Studebaker excitement here will be shared with you.

Pat
                Last edited by Pat Dilling; 01-30-2013, 01:48 PM.
                Pat Dilling
                Olivehurst, CA
                Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Circle the wagons. I also have a 56 Parkview. It is not a show piece just a driver. One of them "I wouldn't have done it that way" cars.

Comment

Welcome John to the SDC and to the SDC Forum, glad to have you.
                    I and my Son StudeDave57 happen to be '57 2 Door Sedan and Wagon collectors, drivers and general Nuts!

So never listen to us about our opinion of '56's!

We are hooked on the "Longer Look" and Front end of the '57's pretty much all Sedans & Wagons, although I would probably not kick a '57 Silver Hawk out of the Garage.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Seaside green is a beautiful color, this from a guy who hates green cars! My 1956 Golden Hawk is Seaside(lighter color) Glenbrook green(darker) and it is beautiful. Really a GREAT 50's color! Seaside green is the correct name for the color. If you need the paint code for mixing after your purchase I have it in base coat/clear coat.

Good luck with your purchase!
                      Last edited by jbwhttail; 01-30-2013, 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling
                      sigpicIt is an addiction!

Comment

Glad you checked in here prior to purchasing this car. It's a really cool car but as you see, many of the members have warned you that it is priced pretty high. Perhaps you can use this to your advantage when bidding on the car. It may be a bit rare but there are others out there more reasonably priced. Have you joined the SDC yet? Our magazine, Turning Wheels has cars for sale you can also reference.

We want you to join us and buy a Stude, we just don't want to see you get taken advantage of. Whatever you do, send us pictures. We like pictures. Good luck and welcome.
                        Jon Stalnaker
                        Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by jbwhttail View Post
                          Seaside green is a beautiful color, this from a guy who hates green cars! My 1956 Golden Hawk is Seaside(lighter color) Glenbrook green(darker) and it is beautiful. Really a GREAT 50's color! Seaside green is the correct name for the color. If you need the paint code for mixing after your purchase I have it in base coat/clear coat.

Good luck with your purchase!
                          I remember the first time that I saw Your GH it was ALL WHITE!!!

Comment

Thank you all so much for your kindness and your candidness. I've wanted "A Studebaker" for a long time. And after reading y'all's comments and talking with my other car-lovin' buddies, we all agreed that I might want to keep looking around. And thanks, I will definitely join and learn (and wait) before I make my purchase.

I'm particularly enamored of the look of the '53 Commander, but those tend to be priced way out of my range. Love the little "Bulletnoses", as well...the "2-door wagon" thing just grabbed my attention, as it seemed so unique.

Also, another friend recommended I finish my current "project" (a labor of love: I'm having the 25-year old 1988 Toyota Pickup my late sweetie bought in 1990 re-done, and it's about a month or so away from completion) before I take on another. Wise words. So thank y'all for the welcome. Looking forward to learning more.

Comment

Byron, I sent you a pm.
                              Originally posted by beebs View Post
                              Thank you all so much for your kindness and your candidness. I've wanted "A Studebaker" for a long time. And after reading y'all's comments and talking with my other car-lovin' buddies, we all agreed that I might want to keep looking around. And thanks, I will definitely join and learn (and wait) before I make my purchase.

I'm particularly enamored of the look of the '53 Commander, but those tend to be priced way out of my range. Love the little "Bulletnoses", as well...the "2-door wagon" thing just grabbed my attention, as it seemed so unique.

Also, another friend recommended I finish my current "project" (a labor of love: I'm having the 25-year old 1988 Toyota Pickup my late sweetie bought in 1990 re-done, and it's about a month or so away from completion) before I take on another. Wise words. So thank y'all for the welcome. Looking forward to learning more.
                              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Working...
                              X