"New" Studebaker PIX: Good Day at Literature Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" Studebaker PIX: Good Day at Literature Swap

Today (Friday, January 18) and tomorrow is the annual Hoosier Auto Show 500 / Auto Racing Memorabilia Show & Swap at The Indianapolis Motor Speedway Golf Course clubhouse. This annual event has gone on for decades and always yields some goodies. I was able to score some neat Studebaker material and thought I'd put together some items for The Forum.

So sit back, pour a cup of Joe or pop a cool one, and enjoy the show!

The items are more-or-less in chronological order. Comments are welcome / encouraged on anything. I know little about a couple of the items; perhaps others will be able to add information.

First item is a simple Studebaker-powered sprint car at The Fort Wayne IN Speedway June 19, 1954:

I don't know any more about that car, but it is powered by a Studebaker V8. Another photo the vendor had showed this car in the background from the right side, and it distinctly had three "header" exhaust pipes coming out that side, so I think the rearmost pipe in this shot is simply hidden.

The push car says Spencer Speedways Inc, also seen in another photo I did not buy because it wasn't as good as the above subject.

Second item is a photo we have discussed before, but I was able to buy a good, glossy print of it today, which reproduces better than previous examples we've discussed. This is the start of the 1960 Indianapolis 500, but the oddity has always been how General Motors allowed the neat little, "just-introduced" 1960 Studebaker Champ pickup to be prominently positioned as a safety vehicle on the apron at the end of Pit Row:

I've pretty well concluded that Charlie Stuart Oldsmobile, the prominent Indianapolis Oldsmobile dealer de jour, may have furnished the Studebaker Champ, in that he also owned Charlie Stuart Studebaker. AFAIK, he did not own any General Motors dealerships that sold trucks. (Just my theory, having considered this oddity for awhile.)

Third item is this well-worn K-body racing Hawk:

The information on the back of this photo says: Soldier Field / Chicago / June 27, 1963. That is all I know about this photo.

Items Four through Nine center around something I've wanted for some time but never sprung the bucks: A 1962 Indianapolis 500 Official Program:

They generally go for about $20 in good condition, and this one is very nice. The vendor was asking $20 and I guess I hit him at the right time: I offered $5 and he took it! He said, "You know, I'm 83 years old and if I don't start getting rid of this stuff, my wife is going to have to spend a lot of money for a really big dumpster in a few years, so I'm glad you can use it." Lesson: It never hurts to ask.

Back then, Indianapolis 500 programs had full color only in the centerfold and outside covers; the balance of the programs were black & white with an occasional splash of a second color, but not four color anywhere else. Accordingly, Studebaker's full-color, wall-to-wall centerfold advertisement was a Great Big Deal.

I'm sorry I cannot scan anything larger than 8 1/2 X 11, so here is the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Official Program centerfold split in two. Again, my apologies:

Another northern Indiana business bought a full-page ad in the 1962 Indianapolis 500 program to promote their travel trailers...and the tow vehicle produced by their next-door neighbor in South Bend!

This advertisement in the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Official Program might not seem to be Studebaker-related, but it is:

The elder Mr. Cornelius was a Studebaker owner. Upon retiring, he bought a new 1964 Gran Turismo Hawk and immediately drove it to Florida for retirement, so it never got salty. It was Astra White with Black Sport Roof / 210 HP / Powershift.

Mr. Cornelius drove the car in Florida very little. When he passed away in 1986, the car had accumulated only 17,000 actual miles in 22 years.

His son, now the proprietor of Cornelius Printing, had the car flat-bedded back to Indianapolis to sell it. I bought it from him in 1986 for resale and sold it during the 1986 SDC National Meet, held here in Indianapolis. (Hey, I had children ages 4 and 6 at the time, to explain why I couldn't / didn't keep it.)

The Hawk survives, SDCer John Caskey of Omaha having done a thorough color-change to Bordeaux Red. I understand it is in Canada being enjoyed, still with relatively few miles on it. I'm sure someone reading this will post its owner and whereabouts. (I.e., thanks in advance, Craig Parslow! )

That's the end of items in the 1962 Indianapolis 500 Official Program.

This photograph is poor as to being an overexposed print. I played with it in photo editing to make it look as good as possible:

Obviously, that is freshly-minted 1962 Indianapolis 500 winner Rodger Ward in the back seat with a big smile, on his Victory Lap in one of the 1962 Lark Daytona convertible "Pace Cars." We can't tell if it is a Pace Car or a Festival Car; it could be either one.

That may be Tony Hulman's wife riding with them, but I cannot verify that. I do believe it is Sam Hanks driving. Comments welcome.

Well, you know how they price things at Swap Meets; $3 each or two for $5.

In true CASO tradition, I couldn't just buy an odd number of prints and get stuck paying the extra 50 cents...and since I've always thought 1965 and 1966 Pontiacs were some of the nicest cars General Motors made in the 1960s...and, well, you get the idea.

So at the risk of Moderator Clark banning me for DFB (Deadly Forum Blasphemy) of wandering off topic in a Studebaker thread :

Hey, what can I say?

Sweet dreams, all. BP

Last edited by BobPalma; 01-18-2013, 07:09 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Very nice Bob, thanks for sharing your new scores. And since your final picture does include Linda Vaughn, we will give you special dispensation for wandering off the Studebaker track.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
      Very nice Bob, thanks for sharing your new scores. And since your final picture does include Linda Vaughn, we will give you special dispensation for wandering off the Studebaker track.

Thanks, Pat...as we say in the used car busines, "whatever it takes to make a deal..." BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I like the first photo with the gentleman and the white hat. That is when men wore hats, not caps. I got to go the the Indy 500 a few times in the late '60s. Good memories.
        Perry
        \'50 Business Champ,
        \'50 Starlight Champ,
        \'60 Lark Convertible,
        \'63 GT R1,
        \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

BP, the white GT Hawk that you bought from Mr Cornelius's son was mostly reassembled by yours truly after the color change by John Caskey. Caskey then sold it at the Madison meet to Gene Searcy of Sasketchewan,Canada. After a time he sold it to someone on the west coast and it now still belongs to John Lasseter of Oregon, AFAIK,who has driven it across the country to a meet at least once that I know of. Nice collection you purchased by the way Bob!
          Last edited by 41 Frank; 01-18-2013, 09:09 PM.
          Frank van Doorn
          Omaha, Ne.
          1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
          1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
          1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by 41 Frank View Post
            BP, the white GT Hawk that you bought from Mr Cornelius's son was mostly reassembled by yours truly after the color change by John Caskey. Caskey then sold it at the Madison meet to Gene Searcy of Sasketchewan,Canada. After a time he sold it to someone on the west coast and it now still belongs to John Lasseter of Oregon, AFAIK,who has driven it across the country to a meet at least once that I know of. Nice collection you purchased by the way Bob!
            Thanks for the update and confirmation, Frank.

I knew only sketchy details after John sold it at Madison 2000. That is where I last saw the car; looking good.

I remember looking under the car at the frame and undercarriage components and thinking, "Gee; I'll never see an original Hawk this nice again." Hated to see it go, but it bought some groceries and paid some utilities. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

The Pacer camp trailer and Lark ragtop would make for a wonderful camping trip!! (If your wife fished, that would be an extra bonus..)

Comment

Linda Vaughn is still out and about, even though she has a pretty serious heart condition.
                I talked with her a while at the PRI show in Orlando last December, and I think Jim McCuan talked with her at the Indy version of that show a few weeks ago.
                She's a sweetheart...
                Jeff

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                <snip>
                In true CASO tradition, I couldn't just buy an odd number of prints and get stuck paying the extra 50 cents...and since I've always thought 1965 and 1966 Pontiacs were some of the nicest cars General Motors made in the 1960s...and, well, you get the idea.

So at the risk of Moderator Clark banning me for DFB (Deadly Forum Blasphemy) of wandering off topic in a Studebaker thread :

Hey, what can I say?

********************************************************************

Sweet dreams, all. BP

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                  [COLOR=#000080][B]Linda Vaughn is still out and about, even though she has a pretty serious heart condition.
                  I talked with her a while at the PRI show in Orlando last December, and I think Jim McCuan talked with her at the Indy version of that show a few weeks ago.
                  She's a sweetheart...
                  Jeff
                  I saw her on the Barrett-Jackson Auction on TV yesterday. She was on stage when they were auctioning that NASCAR Mustang.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Thanks, Bob P.
                    What you show as a "K-body" appears to be a 1956 Golden Hawk. This brings back memories. I helped to build a 1956 Golden Hawk into an oval track stock car for a friend in about 1959-1960. It was "just" a three or four year old used car that the used car dealer took in trade that we started with.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      Thanks, Bob P. What you show as a "K-body" appears to be a 1956 Golden Hawk.
                      Do you think so, Gary? What's left of the fins sure looks like a later model than 1956. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Do you think so, Gary? What's left of the fins sure looks like a later model than 1956. BP

I was going mostly by the "tiara" (roof stainless band) and the one year hood.

EDIT: The "V" in the quarter panel trim looks like 1956.
                        The location of the parking lights, surprised they are still there, does not look like 1956.
                        The tail fins look like 1957-1961.
                        I think that it is a combination of a 1956 Golden Hawk with later fins.

EDIT II: Keep in mind that there were no domestic K bodies in 1959-1961.
                        This would leave 1956 Sky/Golden Hawks and 1957-1958 Golden Hawks. I do not believe that supercharged engines would have been allowed in stock car races then. The Packard engine in the 1956 Golden Hawk was allowed in stock car races, like the one that I helped to build.
                        All of this still makes me think that it is basically a 1956 Golden Hawk with changes, like the fins (easily added).
                        Last edited by studegary; 01-19-2013, 12:40 PM.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                        X