Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BobPalma
    replied
    Indeed, Milt. Earle was one of the longest-servingTurning Wheels Co-Operator Advisors, sharing his knowledge of bullet-nose and other cars of that era with countless SDC members and Turning Wheels readers. His advice was always readily appreciated.

The last of Earle's many Studebakers was his 1964 Daytona sedan, which his son George inherited upon Earle's passing. I purchased the car from George in July 2002 and it has been in my collection ever since:

That Daytona replaced Earle's 1957 Commander, but Earle had never been too partial toward "Larks." However, I remember when he bought the Daytona and wrote me that it, "wasn't too bad!" I think that was a compliment. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 01-17-2013, 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• unclemiltie
    started a topic Earle Haley was a true Studebaker Driver

Earle Haley was a true Studebaker Driver

I finally have time to do projects that have been in the To-do hopper for years. One such project was to go through a 6 inch stack of files I got from the Earle Haley estate. Earle was a member of our local chapter for many years and actually worked at Studebaker in the early fifties writing shop manuals. I remember him pointing out a picture of himself in the 56 shop manual on how to install a rear window. Even though he was a tech writer, he apparently did other things as needed at Stude like doing mileage tests when customers would bring their cars in complaining about mileage.

Anyway, one of the pages I just read was a list of cars he had owned during his life. I loose track of when he passed away but I think it was in the late eighties.

On this list, he had listed 26 different Studebakers he also owned and driven as daily drivers. I also remember him talking about Studes his parents had owned. Now that is what I call a true Studebaker Driver. That is an experience few of us today will ever experience.

I have just started through this stack but there is also a folder he had on correspondence he had when he was one of our Tech guys in the Turning Wheels which I am sure will also be entertaining.
Working...
X