Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1865 Studebaker Hearse

This should be in our museum:

It most certainly is an original design. I've never seen a hearse quite like this one. The seller seems to be rather obtuse to run an auction with so few pictures and such a poor one at that. At the price he is insisting on, this vehicle could use much better presentation.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Thje ad is not great, that is for sure. This vehicle was built 12 years after Studebaker was established.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
        Thje ad is not great, that is for sure. This vehicle was built 12 years after Studebaker was established.
        Authenticity would be my concern...we know that Studebaker grew out of a Blacksmith shop to making their own wagons. Keeping pace for demands from the military during the civil war (or around here...the war of northern aggression), probably consumed most of their time and efforts. I wonder how long it took them to branch out from utility farm and heavy haul vehicles, to making buggies, carriages, and specialty vehicles like the hearse?

What methods of authentication are available? Even if it truly is a Studebaker, is there a way to verify the date of manufacture?
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Can I suggest that a club member near the seller request a visit to inspect and document the vehicle? SDC authentication could be valuable to him.

Comment

Working...
          X