A "tack"y question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A "tack"y question

I just finished pulling the carpet out of my '62 GT Hawk (the good one, not the POR Hawk) and was surprised to find that it was held in with carpet tacks. [B)] Yes, the same type of tacks that you would use in your house to install carpet and driven right into the floor pans! [?][8][B)] The question is, do I hammer them flush and leave them in (and then have a plug in the hole) or do I pull them out?

I found a similar type of fastener on my 40 Champ. They had a twisted shank like a drill and were apparently just driven through the metal. I ground off the heads when I removed the surface rust ( 50% of the front floors had to be replaced with good panels from Arizona. I put a dab of black GE silicone rubber in the small holes to seal them off. After I finish the floors I will put down a .040 thick rubber membrane over the entire floor to prevent any further rusting out. The floor will eventually be carpeted.

Cork F. near Frostbite Falls, MN

Comment

I found a similar type of fastener on my 40 Champ. They had a twisted shank like a drill and were apparently just driven through the metal. I ground off the heads when I removed the surface rust ( 50% of the front floors had to be replaced with good panels from Arizona. I put a dab of black GE silicone rubber in the small holes to seal them off. After I finish the floors I will put down a .040 thick rubber membrane over the entire floor to prevent any further rusting out. The floor will eventually be carpeted.

Cork F. near Frostbite Falls, MN

Comment

If the nails are black in color, they are fairly rust resistant. If they are shiny, then they are chinese, and prone to rust. I am in the carpet business, and this has been a problem for us.

Comment

If the nails are black in color, they are fairly rust resistant. If they are shiny, then they are chinese, and prone to rust. I am in the carpet business, and this has been a problem for us.

Comment

I'd take them out and seal the holes like Cork did. They would be a conduit for water (and rust) and I'd cut myself on them repeatedly when I worked under the car.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I'd take them out and seal the holes like Cork did. They would be a conduit for water (and rust) and I'd cut myself on them repeatedly when I worked under the car.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Working...
              X