Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeterHawk
    replied
    A by product of the "digitally" reorganized files could be a menu showing what items are available for what years.

Leave a comment:

• qsanford
    replied
    What is the procedure to order the drive away shipper form and the retail sales card? The last PO I ordered for my 1961 I requested them but the clerk had no idea what I was talking about. I think it was someone in the gift shop who took the order. Perhaps they were not available for my Lark?

Leave a comment:

• Bill Pressler
    replied
    Something else they have for model year '61 through Dec. '63 are the drive-away shipper forms, which I like even better than the production order as they list shipping weight and the name and street address of the dealer the car was going to. Plus, sometimes the drive-away shipper will show that a different dealer received the car than what is on the production order.

I've mentioned this before, but for model year '60 and later, the museum also has retail sales cards that show the original purchaser's name and address (I'm told the '63 info is sketchy and some cards may be missing). For Sept. '63 and later they also have a second-style retail sales card, filed by month, then dealer number (they can cross-reference the dealer number from the serial number, production order, and drive-away shipper forms) which not only list the name of the original purchaser and his address, but his occupation and what he traded in. All very interesting stuff IMHO, if one has a model year Stude that falls into that area (and many of us do).

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    I often wonder if anyone has thought about doing a 'volume discount' on these.

Personally I have nearly a dozen Studebakers (or Packards) I'd like to see the PO for.
    I know of many many other StudeFolks who have as many or more they'd like to see!!!

I'd think that after the 2nd or 3rd PO a discount could kick in,
    and go on from there~ or something...

StudeDave '57

Leave a comment:

• Steven Ayres
    replied
    Like all museums over the past couple of decades, I'm confident that the SNM has at least considered digitizing its document collections. I'd be interested in hearing where they are on that idea.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    Originally posted by Steven Ayres View Post
    RQ: has Geoff backed up the data in a useful way, say by having the microfilm copied? I hate to think of those irreplaceable records in unique and vulnerable form.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
    58H-K7 660
    Geoff has turned them over to the SNM though maintains ownership. There has never been any backup. A few have been copied like the 56J and the '58 Packards and Studebakers plus some of the pre war Presidents but these were done by individuals many years ago.

Leave a comment:

• Welcome
    replied
    Based on my limited volunteering time of actually under 3003.2 million.

Leave a comment:

• Steven Ayres
    replied
    RQ: has Geoff backed up the data in a useful way, say by having the microfilm copied? I hate to think of those irreplaceable records in unique and vulnerable form.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
    58H-K7 660

Leave a comment:

• dnevin
    replied
    Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    When Geoff Newman was in the process of donating a lot of material to the museum he ask me if I would give him an estimate of the number of production orders that were there. After some hours I came up with something in the neighborhood of 3.2 million (if I recall). About 80% on microfilm and the rest on paper. Not sure what you mean by "digitally reorganize" but even with today's technology and team of a few dozen knowledgeable volunteers working 24-7 it would require many years to accomplish such a task (and I am probably being conservative about the estimate). Not practical in my opinion. Now if someone wanted to do just the 4500 or so Avantis or '57 Golden Hawks that might be feasible.

Incidentally Geoff did not donate these to the museum. He still owns them and the museum pays him a % for every one they send out.
    There are companies that will scan microfilm to digital records at about 2-3 cents per image (assuming 16mm rolls.) These are high speed scanners--so we're looking at about $75k to get them into a digital format that an OCR program can recognize. High speed document scanners can handle the remaining paper records in short order. It would be a simple project for a senior design team to code a database to make the records electronic--most major players in the database field come equipped to handle digital records.

While a monumental task, IMHO it would not take years with the proper equipment and knowledgeable persons operating it.

Now the question remaining would be if the museum (or the owner) would consider this to be a worthwhile investment. I'm not sure how many production orders they sell in a year, but it might take a bit of time to recoup the costs.

Leave a comment:

• Studebaker Wheel
    replied
    When Geoff Newman was in the process of donating a lot of material to the museum he ask me if I would give him an estimate of the number of production orders that were there. After some hours I came up with something in the neighborhood of 3.2 million (if I recall). About 80% on microfilm and the rest on paper. Not sure what you mean by "digitally reorganize" but even with today's technology and team of a few dozen knowledgeable volunteers working 24-7 it would require many years to accomplish such a task (and I am probably being conservative about the estimate). Not practical in my opinion. Now if someone wanted to do just the 4500 or so Avantis or '57 Golden Hawks that might be feasible.

Incidentally Geoff did not donate these to the museum. He still owns them and the museum pays him a % for every one they send out.

Leave a comment:

• JoeHall
    replied
    That would be wonderful, then hopefully be able to go online and order a PO by ID number, pay with VISA, then immediately download. Last time I ordered a PO from South Bend, it took weeks. That is a yester-decade approach to business. I probably woulda ordered more POs over the years, but not worth the hassle. Hope somebody fixes it.
    The 56J folks are truly blessed. We have had a CD available for years, which contains all 56J production orders; can look a 56J up by ID, body number, color, etc. Thanks to Frank A's selfless, tireless efforts.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Dilling
    replied
    That's a great idea! When I was working for CA Dept of Transportation we had a team of Computer Science students from Sacramento State develop a computer equipment inventory database for us. It was their Senior Project and had oversight from their professor. They treated us just like a business customer. Turned out great.

Leave a comment:

• PeterHawk
    started a topic Production Orders

Production Orders

Regarding the acquisition of production orders from SNM, would it be possible to contact the head of the Computer Science Department @ Notre Dame and suggest what a great intern project it might be to digitally reorganize the SNM files.
Working...
X