"My" 1964 Avanti Reappears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "My" 1964 Avanti Reappears

Last evening, I received an unusual telephone call. It was a nice lady that was inquiring about an Avanti that I had owned. It was the show condition 1964 Avanti that I owned. It is an R1, AT, white, black interior. Other than my new Avanti, it was the best Avanti that I have owned. It turned out that her father had owned the car for more than the past 20 years. He recently died. She tracked me down because I had posted online, including here on the Forum, about having owned that particular serial number Avanti. We had a nice, long telephone conversation. I told her who I bought the Avanti from and who I sold it to. I also gave her my suggestions about selling it - eBay in about two months with a low starting bid and an acceptable, to her and her brothers, reserve/minimum. Assuming the Avanti is in similar condition to when I owned it, I gave her a realistic price range to expect, but also said that anything is possible in an auction.

EDIT: I do not believe that her father belonged to either SDC or AOAI. The Serial Number appears in the online S/N list as me being the last known owner and the S/N does not appear in the AOAI S/N listing in the AOAI Roster.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Let's hope it finds a good home.
    sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Get out your checkbook Gary. Buy it back.

Denny L

Comment

Get information and post it on this forum so SDCers have first shot at it.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by Green53 View Post
          Get out your checkbook Gary. Buy it back.

Denny L
          I doubt that will happen. I didn't even make an offer. I want them to achieve true market value for the Avanti.
          I have owned more than 100 cars and can only think of one that I bought back. If I was to buy another back, it would probably be my 1972 GTX.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
            Get information and post it on this forum so SDCers have first shot at it.
            I neither asked for nor received a full name, telephone number, e-mail, address, etc. This way, I am out of the loop unless she wants to contact me again, which I offered.

EDIT: I do not understand why SDCers should have the first shot. They will get an equal chance on eBay. Posting the information on this Forum opens it up to many that are not members of SDC, including some that do a lot of Studebaker buying and selling.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I do not understand why SDCers should have the first shot. .

If an SDC member is selling a car, or rare parts, I think it's nice to give fellow members a heads up or first shot at it.
              Especially for parts. No, I'm not saying they should give them away at a silly low price, but offer to sell rare parts an a fair agreed upon price...that way SDC'ers might avoid silly ebay prices.
              It's just a nice thing to do.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

To: studegary,-----What is the serial number of this Avanti Gary?

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                  If an SDC member is selling a car, or rare parts, I think it's nice to give fellow members a heads up or first shot at it.
                  Especially for parts. No, I'm not saying they should give them away at a silly low price, but offer to sell rare parts an a fair agreed upon price...that way SDC'ers might avoid silly ebay prices.
                  It's just a nice thing to do.
                  I have tried several times to locate my old 54 Corvette to no avail.. Being a member of the Corvette national council for many, many years, I've come to absolutly no results.. The SDC has something like what all old car enthusiast should have acces to to further the cars and keep them around for years to come.. Wish they did..

Comment

Originally posted by sn-60 View Post
                    to: Studegary,-----what is the serial number of this avanti gary?
                    iirc, 5176.
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

To: studegary,----- It's interesting that R5176 happens to be Avanti White. Studebaker made a series of '64 Avantis (as You know) that were all about the same: (Avanti Red, R1, black interior, auto). This serial
                      comes close to that run of Avantis (I owned R5180). I believe that a few Stude promotional (giveaway) Avantis were part of that run.
                      Last edited by SN-60; 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM. Reason: Added engine type

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        To: studegary,----- It's interesting that R5176 happens to be Avanti White. Studebaker made a series of '64 Avantis (as You know) that were all about the same: (Avanti Red, R1, black interior, auto). This serial
                        comes close to that run of Avantis (I owned R5180). I believe that a few Stude promotional (giveaway) Avantis were part of that run.
                        You are very perceptive. This Avanti was part of the Sears promotion and came with Allstate tires. It was also built like the cars around it in production. Also, it was the same color, red. It got a complete color change to white fairly early on in its life.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

What goes around comes around.

I have tried several times to locate my old 54 Corvette to no avail.. Being a member of the Corvette national council for many, many years, I've come to absolutly no results.. The SDC has something like what all old car enthusiast should have acces to to further the cars and keep them around for years to come.. Wish they did.
                          Back in 1974 I was President of the Sunbeam Tiger Owners Association. Then I moved to Spokane and sold the Tiger for $9,000 around 1980 to an owner who took it back to the SF Bay Area. I strongly suggested the buyer join the club. He never did and I heard nothing of the car for thirty years.

Last year, my Little Brother, who learned to drive in the Tiger, asked me to help him search for the car. There is a registery of certified Tigers and the guy who maintains it is a friend from back in the day. He checked the records and sure enough, my old car had been run through Tiger Tech. He had a name and address, but no phone number. Quite a bit of research and we were in conversation with the current owner who had bought it from my buyer. Coincidentally, he was getting married and needed to sell the Tiger.

We bought it back for $25,000 and got a heckuva deal. The seller had put $20,000 into new paint, interior, top, instruments, wheels, 5-speed tranny and a high horsepower engine rebuild. I say heckuva deal because the inflation calculator says $9000 in 1980 is equal to $25,000 in 2013 dollars, plus it's a much better car than when I sold it, so we got his $20,000 in improvements for free.

jack vines
                          PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                          X