Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I 've heard numbers like 550 hp out of a superchraged 302 ford

Comment

As is our wont, this is getting way, way off topic from Paxton superchargers and what they would produce when installed on a stock, unmodified engine.

I 've heard numbers like 550 hp out of a superchraged 302 ford
      Yes, in fact there are normally aspirated 302"s which make 550 horsepower.

A simple pulley change and eprom modification took that number up substantially.
      Yes, with several aftermarket modifications which void the warranty, the GM 3.8 can be made to produce more horsepower.

Remember the Shelby Series II used production supercharged aftercooled Aurora engines and took that way up. /of my biggest mistakes was not snatching up one of those engines when Shelby went belly up. They sold unused engines complete for $1500.00
      Agree, that would be a great installation in most any Stude, provided one had the technical sophistication to handle all the electricals.

But back to the subject, what does any of this have to do with Paxtons?

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Jack some day I hope to see what one will do on a 2bbl stock 64 289. When I'am done with my restoration I'am going to look for one for the hawk. Thought I would do a rear wheel dyno on it and then again after adding the paxton.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
          Remember the Shelby Series II used production supercharged aftercooled Aurora engines and took that way up. /of my biggest mistakes was not snatching up one of those engines when Shelby went belly up. They sold unused engines complete for $1500.00

But back to the subject, what does any of this have to do with Paxtons?
          Look at the photos in the last post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=shelby

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Look at the photos in the last post in this thread: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=shelbyCraig
            Six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Yes, agree, well-known that Shelby offered a Paxton option on mid-'60s GT350s when he was with Ford. But this discussion of the Series II is forty years later when he was in his sixth successive iteration of Shelbys, now with Olds engines and Eaton superchargers, those have to do with Paxtons? Your post, you see it, I don't. But then, let's not take any of this seriously.Six degrees of Kevin Bacon. Shelby offered a Paxton option on '60s cars when he was with Ford so forty years later when he was in his sixth successive iteration of Shelbys, now with Olds engines and Eaton superchargers, those have to do with Paxtons? Your post, you see it, I don't.

Jack some day I hope to see what one will do on a 2bbl stock 64 289. When I'am done with my restoration I'am going to look for one for the hawk. Thought I would do a rear wheel dyno on it and then again after adding the paxton.
            FWIW, 210hp for the NA 2-bbl 289" and 275hp for the 2-bbl supercharged Golden Hawk, is a 31% increase. However, we'd have to say the '57-58 GH might have been overrated as a 7.5 compression, stock cam, 2-bbl. If we look at the R2 with a 4-bbl, better cam and valve springs and 9:1 compression and made 289 horsepower. There should have been more than a fourteen horsepower difference between the two engines.

We're awaiting with great interest your chassis dyno results.

jack vines
            Last edited by PackardV8; 01-12-2013, 06:50 PM.
            PackardV8

Comment

few points for consideration here....365$ for a Paxton supercharger, isn`t that cheap compared to todays price?
              Isn't a supercharged Corvair a huge why-bother when you could get a turbocharged model from the factory, and %-wise, wasn't the turbo model a huge power improvement over the non-turbo model? IIRC wasn't the naturally asperated model about 90hp, and the turbo about 150hp??
              Paxton's current website has some pretty awesome power increasing #'s that they quote, like 47% increase over a stock Camaro SS. Cheers, Junior
              sigpic
              1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                few points for consideration here....365$ for a Paxton supercharger, isn`t that cheap compared to todays price?
                Isn't a supercharged Corvair a huge why-bother when you could get a turbocharged model from the factory, and %-wise, wasn't the turbo model a huge power improvement over the non-turbo model? IIRC wasn't the naturally asperated model about 90hp, and the turbo about 150hp??
                Paxton's current website has some pretty awesome power increasing #'s that they quote, like 47% increase over a stock Camaro SS. Cheers, Junior
                The Paxton kit for the Corvair came out three years before the turbo model was available. And $365 equals $2,746.10 in today's funny money, less than they cost at present.

With seventy years of compressor design improvements on which to draw, the Novi supercharger is essentially a belt/gear driven turbocharger. It has completely different technology in the drive system and compressor system than the old Paxton and the LS Chevys breathe better than pure racing engines of a few years ago.

But again, the 2013 Novi and the LS have nothing to do with the original discussion of Paxtons and Corvairs and 1962.

But it's the dead of winter and bench racing here always gets a little crazy along about now.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 01-12-2013, 10:10 PM.
                PackardV8

Comment

This is an interesting thread. All the things I thought of posting have already been posted.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                  X