64 Hawk has new home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
    Funny you should mention that - when I get ready to have it painted (5-7 years from now maybe) Should I change to a color other than white? Opinions please. everyone has one.
    Dave, I enjoyed meeting you yesterday at our chapter business meeting. Sorry I didn't stay for lunch, but I had already eaten BBQ at that establishment once this week and wanted to get back home and play at building my test stand to run that old Stude six I am tinkering with.

One thing to keep in mind about changing colors on a car. It is about twice the work. Door jams, firewall, inner fenders, trunk seal channels, etc. It is about personal preference, but, the classic lines of any Hawk, no matter what the year model, to me,...all looked good as they came from the factory. Even the ones that have custom paint jobs, cast the same elegant shadow!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Dave,

Would you share the Vin, Engine & body tag numbers as with your permission I would like to add your 'new' GT Hawk to our GT Hawk Registry. Thanks, Barry .
      email.. studee64@cogeco.ca
      Barry Leppan
      Ontario, Canada
      64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
      GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by studee64 View Post
        Dave,

Would you share the Vin, Engine & body tag numbers as with your permission I would like to add your 'new' GT Hawk to our GT Hawk Registry. Thanks, Barry .
        email.. studee64@cogeco.ca

I have already registeredwith the Hawk registry. When I did I didn't have the body # but when I went back to the registry I could not see how to update the car.
        Engine PH319 Serial 64V11177 Body 64V-K6 1044
        Dave Hugo
        Duncan, SC
        sigpic 1959 Silver Hawk 1955 President

Comment

Hi Dave,
          Yep, lost track of your VIN number..have now updated the tag info and will add some of your new pics tomorrow. Updates can only be added at this end by owners sending me an email with the changes.
          Thanks, Barry.
          Barry Leppan
          Ontario, Canada
          64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
          GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

OK took Hawk on maiden voyage to go about 2 miles up the road to put in some fresh gas - made it about 1.5 miles and everything stopped - I think I lost fuel, either gauge is wrong and I don't have fuel or fuel pump took a dive or.... will check out in the morning. The engine seemed to run fine and the overdrive kicked in as it should. Good thing I've got AAA towing :-) picked me up, brought me back and stuffed it in the garage.
            Dave
            Last edited by duncan1951; 01-14-2013, 04:22 PM.
            Dave Hugo
            Duncan, SC

Comment

Many times being low on fuel will seem like it stutters and falls but many times will pick up again when the car jerks and what gas is left is sloshed around in the tank. Have leaned under a car many times for the old "knuckle thump" gas gauge - one of easiest ways to tell if things are empty.

Best of luck - very nice looking car.

Comment

Sweet ride!
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Duncan. That cars going to be a easy restore. Very nice car. Steve

Comment

wish I had those seats in my Lark.

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                      Duncan. That cars going to be a easy restore. Very nice car. Steve
                      Define Easy If it were strickly mechanical I agree - body work is a foreign language to me but I guess it's time to learn.
                      Dave Hugo
                      Duncan, SC

Comment

Originally posted by 62champ View Post
                        Many times being low on fuel will seem like it stutters and falls but many times will pick up again when the car jerks and what gas is left is sloshed around in the tank. Have leaned under a car many times for the old "knuckle thump" gas gauge - one of easiest ways to tell if things are empty.

Best of luck - very nice looking car.
                        Well the knuckle thump gas guage gave off a stranely empty echoing sound - put a couple of gallons of fuel in and whata ya know? I guess when I drop the fule tank I will need to look at fixing the gas guage sender.

Dave
                        Dave Hugo
                        Duncan, SC

Comment

The gas guage seems to be problem if they set for a while mine didn't work either when I got it. Luckly had one from my 58 sliver hawk that was the same that worked. Body work isn't rocket science and you can do it. If you have any quesions feel free to pm me and I will see if I can help.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
                            Well the knuckle thump gas guage gave off a stranely empty echoing sound - put a couple of gallons of fuel in and whata ya know? I guess when I drop the fule tank I will need to look at fixing the gas guage sender.

Dave
                            The fuel tank can stay where it is to remove and check the sender. There is a access hole that gives one a view of the top of the sending unit for the tank.

If, however, your trunk floor is as bad as you describe, then you might need to remove the tank to do your truck floor repairs. Best think about starting with body work like that is that it does not have to be that good - no one will see under the new trunk mat... Be glad it is not an early Mustang where the top of the tank is also the floor of the trunk...

Comment

Originally posted by swvalcon View Post
                              The gas guage seems to be problem if they set for a while mine didn't work either when I got it. Luckly had one from my 58 sliver hawk that was the same that worked. Body work isn't rocket science and you can do it. If you have any quesions feel free to pm me and I will see if I can help.
                              To heck with PM - come on down out of the frozen North and let's have some show and tell
                              Dave Hugo
                              Duncan, SC

Comment

Hey Dave, as wet, foggy, and raw as it has been here this week, I doubt there would be much body work going on unless you had a very dry environmentally controlled garage to work in. I tried to do a little work in my shed today, but my place is so porous and drafty, I gave up. Since re-roofing this past summer, the direct leaks are gone, but with an earth floor, open eaves, etc. the humidity condenses and creates its own rain. Kinda like having a giant terrarium.

Today, I was just piddling around my make shift engine test stand. I wouldn't dare attempt any kind of body work in this weather. Yesterday, it was very wet, unseasonably warm and due to the humidity...sweaty. Today, was like yesterday, except for the temperature...it was cool enough to be miserable. I abandoned the man cave and the poodle and I jumped in my truck and made a small trek for a hot dog and fries. Bought about $15 worth of gas (except they charged $44 for it!) and made our way back home.

Don't get in too much hurry for the body work, there are other things that I'm sure will keep you busy till spring. I hope to get by in the near future and get a good look at your car. I think you have great potential for a very desirable ride.
                                John Clary
                                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                                X