Avanti & early 70's Jensons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti & early 70's Jensons

Anybody every notice the resemblance from the back of the front fender to the rear if the car?
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Yep: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ghlight=jensen

Craig

Comment

Yes, often, and it feels something like an Avanti when examined, but close don't count.

FWIW, I once passed on an incredible deal on a restored Jensen because I didn't like it as well as my Avanti. It was rough-riding, very heavy feeling and the smog-era low compression 440" made no horsepower but sucked gas like it was free.

The car was such a bargain, I considered pulling the newly rebuilt engine and doing a complete performance build to make it fast, but I couldn't get past the fact the Jensen just didn't grab me with the way it drove or rode and the details of the body design certainly weren't in the class of the Avanti.

In the long run, the Jensen would have been a far better investment of my time and money, but I don't marry for money.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Yep...me too. But overall, I think the Avanti has a nicer backend (I still look at mine in the garage, especially at the area where the fender dips into the trunk and the base of the rear window...great design). The Jensen has a huge, but not bad, rear. I also like the Avanti C pillar more, but no denying the jensen is a very stylish GT, and with the chrysler engine, semi-practical.
        The Jenson has a more conventional front...(IMHO, if the Avanti had had a more traditional grille, it would have sold better..not necessarily looked better, but been more popular).

I was with my sister at one of her British car club tours in her Land Rover, and a guy show up with a Jensen in #3- condition.
        Think of it as an Avanti x10 in terms of complexity and restoration headaches. In terms of systems and interior complexity and parts (all leather lined), it makes an Avanti look like a Lark taxi.

I saw a very nice looking #3 car at the Silver Reno auction a few years back. The guy would have been thrilled to get $12k for it.

Jack Vines...you may not have passed on a fortune. My latest Sports Car Market price guide (it just came Tuesday) says coupes are worth only $15-30,000.
        The all wheel drive ones go for $20-36K. Convertibles go for $35-60,000.
        Considering Jensen restoration costs (aside from the engine), I bet the Avanti has a better ROI...or at least no worse.
        Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Personally, I think the Avanti rear styling is closer to the Maserati Mistral than the Jensen.

Comment

Originally posted by Effie View Post
            Personally, I think the Avanti rear styling is closer to the Maserati Mistral than the Jensen.
            I don't disagree.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
            X