Jay Leno's Garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Leno's Garage

Most of you know that Jay Leno, the later night television entertainer is an avid car buff and has every car known to man. I recently went to Facebook page "Jay Leno's Garage" to look at all of his classics stabled in his garage. I exhausted his list of cars and could not find, you guessed it a Studebaker. How is that possible? I must have overlooked it, so I went through his photos and trailers again. No Studebaker. I decided to send a photo of my Golden Hawk and posed the question, "Do you have a Studebaker?" Weeks went by and no response. I would go to his Facebook daily to see if he may have added a Studebaker. None to be found. So, I sent him another email, with a photograph attached pressing him to respond to one of America's Classics. He has yet to respond. . .Now I know I am not an important person or celebrity, but I thought given his love for cars that he would at least acknowledge the name "Studebaker." My last email sounded as though I have become a stalker as it was titled, "GOT STUDEBAKER?" I have finally given up the fight of Jay at least saying that he would like to own a Studebaker.
    Attached Files
    Curt Devan
    Kirksville, MO

Editor, Mid Missouri Chapter Newsletter "Studie News"
    sigpic

I was under the impression that Jay purchased an Avanti awhile back.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I was in Leno's audience back in '95 or '96. I asked him during his warmup if he had any Studebakers. He said no but that he had worked on some back when he was a mechanic. He asked if I had any and I said I had a '60 Lark Hardtop. He also asked if it had a 259 or a 289 and I said a 259. We talked some more about my car until he realized he was ignoring the rest of the audience and had to stop!

By chance, one of the friends I was with won a little contest Jay did on the show and we were able to stay after to collect the money. Jay later said that he was thinking about getting an Avanti or a Golden Hawk in the future. Guess it never happened...
      Scott Rodgers
      Los Angeles
      SDC Member since 1989
      \'60 Lark HT
      \'63 Wagonaire
      \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Don't feel bad, he also doesn't own any Ferraris...so we're in good company.

I've read that his aversion has to do with Mr. Ferrari and his rather cavilier attitude about his GP drivers in the 50-60s...
        Judging by some of the cars prosaic cars in his collection, I'm fairly sure he's not anti-Studebaker, just that he hasn't seen one that he likes yet.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

You will find lots of Studebaker photos on Jays website. On his main page click on PHOTOS, then scroll down to the bottom of the page and find USER SUBMITTED PHOTOS - YOUR RIDES. Once that page opens up scroll through the car photos until you see the orange '53 Studebaker. Click on that photo and it will open to a page with over 100 Studebaker photos. - http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/photos...ides/1569/p/2/ - I submitted a photo of my 1950 Commander. Fun!
          Ed Sallia
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

The photos are sbmitted by by readers...some people think they're part of his collection.

I know, my Bearcat is in there somewhere and someone wanted him to bring it to an event.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think in the future he might get one , I sure would like to see his collection, and by the way I think he can afford one his NET worth is 250 million, but he's a great asset to the hobby.
              Joseph Kastellec

Comment

There are 112 Stude pic's from reader's on his site...
                The full spectrum of Stude photo skills are on display....

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-08-2013, 03:56 PM.
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I sent pictures of my 51 bullet nose in and was never able to find them in his Studebaker collection. I know he got the picture because it was used on a header on one of the readers cars pages.

I've tried to contact Leno several times but have had no luck either. Our club vice president sent him a letter once and received a personal phone call from him. Very cool
                  Jon Stalnaker
                  Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

I thought he was a member here ? You would think he would at least chime in and defend himself.
                    HaHA,.. He probably does have a few of them they are just parked out behind the garage.

Dean.

Comment

He's not a member here at the forum. He did join the Studebaker Drivers Club a year or so ago.

Some of you may recall I related that a friend of mine, Stan Smith, Jr and his father, restored the original 1931 Studebaker Hunt Special back in the late seventies. Stan has always been a car nut phenom.
                      At one point, Jay Leno decided he wanted a Mercer. Someone told Jay to contact Stan Smith. Stan found him said Mercer and visited Jay in L.A. Afterwards, Jay sent Stan a Tonight Show T-shirt with a note of appreciation. Stan, being Stan, autographed the shirt and sent it back. Jay has it framed and displayed in his garage.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I could one day see Jay owning a depression era Stude or one out of the 60's with an R2 setup.

Comment

Yup, I posted my Hawk on his website like many other Studebaker lover's. . .I guess he is too busy to respond.
                          Curt Devan
                          Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

If Jay owns an Avanti, then he needs to own up to it or at least post a pic on this Forum.
                            Curt Devan
                            Kirksville, MO

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X