sample of good work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sample of good work.

I know a number of people here are going start saying the same old thing that have been said before about somebody else's body work but this is a sample of a 54-55 c/k trunk lid I just got back from my body man, this trunk was in pretty bad shape when I took it to him, after I had it media blasted it showed all the bad things rust holes, rust lip, bent corners ect. no picture taken at that time so believe me when I say it had it's problems. like I said before he has done this kind of work over 45 years and knows what he is doing, this is just one of the items I have for sale and can deliver to South Bend in May.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Were you looking for a reply?
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Well Bob, I must say that when your man was done with this decklid, I regret I do not have a car that would benefit from it!

Nice piece, I hope you get a nice profit from your efforts because you certainly deserve it! When I see seamless work like this, I feel all the better doing the same in my area of expertice!

Thanks,

Ken

Comment

Nice indeed!
        After hacking a hacked '53 trunk lid together (showing off my hacking skills).....
        I can appreciate good quality body work.
        Good to see it saved.
        Hope it finds a good project to go on!
        Jeff
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It does look nice. I hope it finds a good home.
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Bob,

There are a few of us capable of doing this kind of work. The only problem with it, and I'm sure your aware, is that there are few people that are willing to acknowledge an appreciation for what it takes to render a piece such as this. Namely, by paying someone for the amount of skill and time involved. From your description, I'd think the fella has perhaps a minimum of 10 hours labor in it. At a very resonable $40.00 an hour his time would be worth $400.00. Add to that your costs to buy it, go get it, store it, media blast it, primer it, go get it and bring it home, what maybe another $200.00 or $300.00. Total some where between $600.00 and $700.00? I'll bet that most interested in it would balk at paying that much for a quality piece and whine and complain that your prices are outrageous! Been there done that and not pleasent to deal with.

My hats off to you and your continued efforts.
            Bo

Comment

I wonder what the 'Order of Rarity' on C/K decklids is these days?...I would guess '64, '56, '53-'55 (including '58PH), '57-'63 ??

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Markham View Post
                Bob,

There are a few of us capable of doing this kind of work. The only problem with it, and I'm sure your aware, is that there are few people that are willing to acknowledge an appreciation for what it takes to render a piece such as this. Namely, by paying someone for the amount of skill and time involved. From your description, I'd think the fella has perhaps a minimum of 10 hours labor in it. At a very resonable $40.00 an hour his time would be worth $400.00. Add to that your costs to buy it, go get it, store it, media blast it, primer it, go get it and bring it home, what maybe another $200.00 or $300.00. Total some where between $600.00 and $700.00? I'll bet that most interested in it would balk at paying that much for a quality piece and whine and complain that your prices are outrageous! Been there done that and not pleasent to deal with.

My hats off to you and your continued efforts.
                Really nice work Bob. I too thank you for your continued efforts at saving Studebaker parts. I hope this deck lid finds a home at a reasonable price that includes a profit for you. I too, see the work that it would take to have this deck lid brought back to a usable state and the costs it takes to get it there. I trust the new owner will see that as well.

Allen
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                PSMCDR 2013
                Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I sold a 56 Hawk last May at SB that was not rusted or bent, EVER. It was one of the best condition 56 trunks I'd ever seen. That's why I bought it around ten years ago. But I had wound up with a surplus of 56 Hawk stuff, so decided to sell some off. I think it sold for about $150.
                  To me, a trunk such as that 56, or your professionally repaired 54/55 should bring a pretty good price, but I doubt they ever will. I dunno, maybe its the economic times, maybe people just do not appreciate the rarity, or maybe there's now more parts available than people who are actually working on projects. But I'll bet a nickel Bob, you will not recoup your investment of time, money or energy, sad to say.

Comment

Oops.Meant to say I sold a 56 Hawk TRUNK last may.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I wonder what the 'Order of Rarity' on C/K decklids is these days?...I would guess '64, '56, '53-'55 (including '58PH), '57-'63 ??
                      After being a seller of Studebaker parts for a rather long time I would list the trunks in this order.
                      #1- 64 hawk
                      #2- 56 hawk
                      #3-57-61 with good panel ribs
                      #4-53-55 these together because holes can be filled and drilled to fit the year. also 58 Packard hawk the over lay is just an over lay.
                      #5- Gt hawk 62-63 since their over lay will cover bad dented ribs.

As for my lid my price is and will be $600.00 with free delivery to South Bend what is that worth? next item to come back is a repaired 63 Gt hawk with all the holes filled in because it has very good ribs, so I figure use on a 57-61 and show the ribs, if some one wanted to install on a Gt no problem drill the holes and install the parts.
                      Candbstudebakers
                      Castro Valley,
                      California

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
                        Were you looking for a reply?
                        Brian
                        Brian, looking for nothing really just passing on what I have and what I can bring to South Bend in May, opinions of others is always welcome with me, fun to read sometimes but when I ask I read and respect what others have to say, If I couldn't or don't want these then why post something. Trip is planned and all I can do from now on is promote what I have.
                        Candbstudebakers
                        Castro Valley,
                        California

Comment

Working...
                        X