A Studebaker for an english project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Studebaker for an english project

My son James has chosen his Studebaker as his final English exam/project. Some of you may ask how a 58 Studebaker can be an English project, I sure did. James is to perform some kind of repairs on his car and the presentation of the repairs is the English part. He has to produce a portfolio of pictures with written explanations and come up with a final presentation for a panel of judges, showing the progress that he made. He is required to do the majority of work on the car as well as keep a log of his progress. James was notified earlier this week that the deadline for his project has been moved up. The first choice was to rebuild the engine since it is getting tired, but we didn't have enough time. James really liked the look of some of the Presidents he saw at South Bend last year, so he wanted to repaint the roof and fins white. Sounded good to me. Sometime in Christine's past, she got some nasty dents in her roof. It looked like someone danced on the roof, leaving many small dents and one big one. We, I mean James started on the roof today. Progress was made and tomorrow, maybe we can get some color on it. James worked hard today and learned a lot. I owe Joe Roberts a big thank you for helping James today. It was a good Studebaker day.
    Attached Files
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Where is his respirator????
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

It was a good day. Sorry I missed the painting part of it. James sure has put a lot of thought and work into this project over the school year. How come I didn't have English classes like this?
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I hate to admit this, but the rebelliousness nature in me would have had me making a presentation titled, "The difficulty of completing a project when those in charge of assigning the project lack sufficient communication skills to set reasonable and firm completion dates."

That would be followed by a detailed description of the project that ended abruptly at the point the change of assignment caused me to stop work, with a summary of additional tasks required to complete the actual work on the car.

Of course, this is why my school teachers were probably happier that I graduated than I was.
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That's cool! I did my senior paper over Studebaker as well. We only had something like three or four weeks to do it, and there was a minimum of 10 pages. Mine was titled "The complete history of the Studebaker Corporation and its impact on South Bend". I didn't want to bore the teacher with every little detail, so I stopped at 28 pages. I think the teacher was still confused by it because I used and sighted sources of information typically not found in a high school or the internet. Still got an A.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

We will have the respirators in the morning. There used to be a paint booth where we are working and the exhaust fan still works well. We cranked it up today and it really moves some air.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

More students need to use Studebaker's as a project, back when my grandson was in the 6th grade he had to write an article on something and then report on the article, he told the teacher he would do his on Studebaker's she didn't think that was a good idea and told him so, but he said it is my article and that's is what I will be doing. he has a lot of books on the subject and really put together a nice presentation , he even told her what time of the class period he wanted to do his and she said ok. After he did his he told the class that he wanted them to take a walk out into the front parking lot and she said ok, when they all got out there I had the 64 super hawk there waiting and everyone got a good look at it and then we fired it up and made a little noise, the teacher came over to me and told me at first she was not for it but was glad she let him do his thing, he got an "A" for the project and every one loved the Hawk most had never even seen one, so moral of the story do your own thing. My signature picture is him at age 17 at the salt flats, he loves Studebaker's.
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

I've also got dance-marx on my roof, just about every US car in Sweden has caused by being a Rocker-car for ages & I'm gonna leave them as a part of the cars history, otherwise it would just be one more perfect old car & that's about the only kind of old cars left in Europe today.
                (But then I'm gonna paint it not-totally-shiny also.. bad me!)

Comment

I had a student who handed in a 5 page report on Henry Ford. He knew I liked Ford as I quoted him and referred to the company in class. However, I had to hand the paper back to him for a revision. His facts were not quite correct. If you present a report or paper on a topic dear to the Prof. make sure you get the facts right!!! The entire class learned that lesson that day!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

We got up early this morning and put some white paint on Christine. It has been a busy couple of days and James is happy with the results. He now has learned that body and paint work is not an easy, ten minute undertaking. The last picture says it all!
                    Attached Files
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

That really makes Christine stand out! Well done!
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

When my wife was in college, She and our daughter went togather, The wife wrote a term paper on the Studebaker Company. She started with the horse drawn era and went all the way through the Avanti breaking records at Bonneville. The prof. was a Car guy too so on the day she presented her paper,she drove her GT and took him for a ride after class. She got an A too.
                        Neil Thornton

Comment

'Nice work, Jamie; it looks good! BP
                          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I applaud the teacher for allowing James to base his English exam/project on his work on the '58. A lot of teachers would not have been willing to do that. To me, that is a mistake. As educators, we must give our students opportunities to write about the things that interest them and this is exactly the type of assignment I would like to see from my own students. I am sure this experience is something James will remember for some time to come. By the way, nice job on the Commander, the two toning really makes, in my opinion, for a better appearance.

Mr. Bill
                            Hamlet, NC
                            Last edited by Mr. Bill; 01-07-2013, 07:57 AM. Reason: names for clarity

Comment

Just to make things clear it is James that is doing this as an English project. Jamie is his dad. The project is indeed a good one. James has been putting things together for this project for quite some time. Driving Christine to South Bend this summer is ,I believe, a part of this project. I drive by the high school that James attends at least once a week and it always brings a smile to my face when I see Christine sitting in the parking lot.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X