My wife bought me an Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My wife bought me an Avanti

OK. it's 1/24 scale, but still, a nice gift.She was at the "Support Hobby Lobby" event today and came home with the AMT model for me.Now I have two '53's, the Avanti and a '64 Galxie XL to build, all in 1/24 scale. The paint will certainly be a lot cheaper. Maybe I should sell the 1/1 scale GT and concentrate on the little ones?....

Nah

Paul
    Last edited by 3rdGenStude; 01-05-2013, 05:49 PM.
    I finally have a Stude I can drive! (sort of)
    1962 GT Hawk, 4 speed, a/c

The new AMT release is very nice, complete with a SNM-approved history book and retooled Halibrand mags.

If you want it in a stock color...other than white or black...Testors makes Avanti Red in a spray can...Called Honduran Moroon. You'll find it at higher-end hobby stores.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
      The new AMT release is very nice, complete with a SNM-approved history book and retooled Halibrand mags.

If you want it in a stock color...other than white or black...Testors makes Avanti Red in a spray can...Called Honduran Moroon. You'll find it at higher-end hobby stores.
      Auto World carries it. Interesting that they call it a Chevy color. It comes in a 3oz spray can, $6.20ea. If ordering, use this number: TES28112. (I do A LOT of business with Auto World)
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        Auto World carries it. Interesting that they call it a Chevy color.
        From what I understand, the GM color and Avanti red are the same. Not surprisingly, Testors calls it by the GM name.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

"Not surprisingly, Testors calls it by the GM name. "

The cowards! What would the name be for turquiose?

Turquiose, damn!

Okay, as an aside many years ago I was at the Siskiyuo County Fair with an old friend who restored cars as well as some of his friends. Well, one of Dick's buddies made the comment as we walked through the horse barn, "Dick, I gotta admit your old cars do have one advantage over horses, you don't have to be as careful as to where you step. The worst you can do is stub a toe on a muffler!"

With model cars, it's even safer!

Cheers,

Ken

Comment

I just listed one of the originals on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/310555655512
            I didn't realize they were popular enough to re-issue!
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              I didn't realize they were popular enough to re-issue!

Yes, it's been re-issued several times over the years...about once a decade..so they've never been too rare.

Trophy Series 3‘n 1 (Original issue) 1964-5.
              Modern Classics, # T-413, 1974.
              Reggie Jackson Collection Series, PK-4181, 1981 (labeled as AMT/Matchbox on the box).
              Prestige Series, #6872, 1989
              Millennium Series, #30268, 2000.
              Trophy Series 3‘n 1 (2012 Re-issue) AMT780/12. Same box art as original but with Avanti history book.

And there may have been another in the late 60s - early 70s.
              And there was also a similar, but different, 1/25th scale kit issued by Aurora. It had an opening trunk while the AMT did not.
              Last edited by JBOYLE; 01-06-2013, 06:05 AM.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The 1/25 Aurora kit was #560-198, 1963

Comment

my wife bought me a stick of gum

Comment

Working...
                  X