Any SKYTOP GTs out there? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi lads
    I have never seen a skytop in a GT Hawk but D'letren Fres did put a lot of proper sun rooves in GT's. They certainly put skytops in finned hawks from the factory.
    Regards
    Greg
    Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
    1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
    1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
    1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
    1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
    1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Comment

Sal is pulling your leg guys. That is why there are no pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by go-studebaker View Post
        Hi lads
        I have never seen a skytop in a GT Hawk but D'letren Fres did put a lot of proper sun rooves in GT's. They certainly put skytops in finned hawks from the factory.
        Regards
        Greg
        But they were Webasto, not Golde, right? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=webasto

Craig
        Last edited by 8E45E; 01-06-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
          Sal is pulling your leg guys. That is why there are no pictures.
          No, Sal is not pulling anyone's leg.................here is a teaser pic from the ad:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Skytop_62_GTH_in_CA_1962[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1678425
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Go back to the top... PIX are added. Great looking car. Just needs a little of this and a little of that. It already runs. I'll be DRIVING it off the trailer tomorrow.
            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Go back to the top... PIX are added. Great looking car. Just needs a little of this and a little of that. It already runs. I'll be DRIVING it off the trailer tomorrow.
              Is there a streamer on the firewall stating it has a 'sunroof'?

Craig

Comment

Craig, You really got my heart pounding with that comment. I had to run out and check for certain. But, sadly, no streamer.
                sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Craig, You really got my heart pounding with that comment. I had to run out and check for certain. But, sadly, no streamer.
                  make one...and keep them guessing. could be a lot of fun! Cheers, Junior.
                  sigpic
                  1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

What the heck does that mean ???

Sorry,.. Is it a Canadian thing?

Dean.

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    But they were Webasto, not Golde, right? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=webasto

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by dean pearson View Post
                      What the heck does that mean ???

Sorry,.. Is it a Canadian thing?

Dean.
                      Studebaker used sunroof hardware supplied by the German company, Golde. Webasto is also a German company that supplied sunroofs for a number of Eurpean manufacturers and 'transplants' including d'Itern as well as aftermarket sales. As far as I know both companies still exist.

Webasto has the perfect parking heater as well as charging, heating, cooling solutions and roof systems for your car, e-car, boat, motorhome, special vehicle and your lorry.

Craig
                      Last edited by 8E45E; 01-06-2013, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Call me crazy, but I'm 99% sure I know where a GT Hawk roof with a Skytop is. Now I need to check it out.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

nice Sal! Good find.
                          Dave Nevin
                          Corvallis, OR
                          1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                          Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Certainly looks like the roof in my Lark

Comment

It looks cool. I am inclined to think someone added it, appears to look factory though. I wonder if you could remove the roof from a lark, cruiser... for trans planing purposes ? I wonder if any frame alterations were needed ? Still looks very cool and has got me thinking, Thanks for the post. K-Hawk

Comment

Well, here's the latest on the GT. I put some gas in it and got it running again. Some smoke out of the left tail pipe. But the great new is: I DROVE it off the trailer. Then on a whim, wheeled it around the block. It definitely needs a tune up, but I was able to row through all 4 gears and the trans feels good. And by the time I got back to the house, the smoke had stopped. WOW again. The brakes were a little sticky at first, but they loosened up and only had a slight pull to the right. At least that will keep me out of oncoming traffic, eh? My only concern at this point would be trees and light poles.
                                As far as the Skytop goes, it turns out it does have the "GOLDE" brand on the release handle. That leads me to believe that its either a one-off or very rare factory install or perhaps a dealer option installation. Either way, I think its an interesting find. I'm hoping to have the car sorted out in the next week or two.
                                One more piece of interesting info is: it has a full flow Clover Leaf Block. Now I have to do some homework to see what's lurking on it's insides.
                                Sometimes its just dumb luck. This one was a lucky break, I guess.
                                Last edited by sals54; 01-07-2013, 01:38 PM.
                                sals54

Comment

Working...
                                X