No announcement yet.

Any SKYTOP GTs out there? UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a statement from the museum. Production orders are pulled once a month. Catch them a day before the pull and you get it right away. Catch them the day after the pull and you wait a month.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      I think they send a one legged Guy riding in a Studebaker Goat Wagon to go up and down the isles looking with a candle!!
      Hey! I'd love to go and observe that! Heck...I'd even volunteer to pull the wagon. After all...it's a museum...living in the past is their business.

Don't push it...who knows, someday when Holograms are perfected and common...they might just decide it is cheaper to scrap the cars and replace them with cheap 3-D Holograms. Relax...go smell a rose...polish some chrome...restitch some upholstery...and after the paperwork arrives...don't forget to thank the one legged guy.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
        Hey! I'd love to go and observe that! Heck...I'd even volunteer to pull the wagon. After all...it's a museum...living in the past is their business.>>><<<...don't forget to thank the one legged guy.
        Thanks for your kind offer, John!!!

I’m not 1-legged …at least as yet …but I do 'hobble' a little!!!

As for my goat, 'Sherwood' …yes I can use all the help I can get as he does not like getting in & out of our non-executive elevator in the SNM Archives building.

PS: Sincere apologies to sals54 for hi-jack-ing his thread!
        Last edited by Welcome; 01-11-2013, 05:35 PM. Reason: Apology added

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
          This is a statement from the museum. Production orders are pulled once a month. Catch them a day before the pull and you get it right away. Catch them the day after the pull and you wait a month.
          Once a month, you have to be kidding, is it really that hard to locate them or do they just not have enough staff.

Never been to SB or Indiana for that matter, one day I hope, but with my luck the museum would be closed for renovations that day LOL.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by avantilover View Post
            >>>Never been to SB or Indiana for that matter, one day I hope, but with my luck the museum would be closed for renovations that day LOL.
            IFIF'in existence'YOU through what certainly has to be called "Studebaker Disneyland"

Comment

Thanks will post should I be visiting
              i
              John Clements
              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                'Sherwood'non-executive elevator in the SNM Archives building.

PS: Sincere apologies to sals54 for hi-jack-ing his thread!
                Hey, Hijack away if you wish. Its been fascinating to learn about the inner workings of the Temple of Studedom.
                So, are you really the guy who does the search for the production orders????? If so, then what day of the month are the searches going on for this month???
                I'm dyin on the vine waiting. And its only been a day and a half. I grew up in the days when waiting was the name of the game and a person just had to deal with it, but for cryin out loud, I gave that up a long time ago. Now I've become an impatient search sleuth.
                sals54

Comment

I ain't LION Sal.

Fill that hole. Frankenstein type headliner install. cheers jimmijim
                  Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                  Hey guys, jimmijim is a kidder, as am I. No cutting or torching is going on for this roof. We were just yankin each other's chains.
                  I will be requesting a purchase order for this car from the Museum. Then we'll see if its factory or dealer.
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I added this to the original post, but here as well to bump it to the top.

I just got the production order in the mail today. Sadly, not listed on the factory order. Its an original CA car that apparently spent its entire life here in Northern CA. The Skytop almost certainly was a dealer installed item, as it has all the earmarks of being done as per factory specs that I've seen on other Skytop cars. The headliner is still in very good condition, as is the Skytop itself. I'm prepping it for ebay, but will not attempt to do any extreme work on the car. It already runs and drives and stops decently. Needs some cosmetics which I will leave for the new owner. Wish me luck, eh?
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                      I added this to the original post, but here as well to bump it to the top.

I just got the production order in the mail today. Sadly, not listed on the factory order. Its an original CA car that apparently spent its entire life here in Northern CA. The Skytop almost certainly was a dealer installed item, as it has all the earmarks of being done as per factory specs that I've seen on other Skytop cars. The headliner is still in very good condition, as is the Skytop itself. I'm prepping it for ebay, but will not attempt to do any extreme work on the car. It already runs and drives and stops decently. Needs some cosmetics which I will leave for the new owner. Wish me luck, eh?
                      That's encouraging! Three weeks is not bad at all considering how many P.O's they have to go through.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                        Randy, a clover-leaf block is one that denotes an engine built to heavy-duty specifications.

It simply has a little clover leaf stamped into the machined pad where the engine's serial number is normally stamped. I'm sorry I don't have a photo to attach, but the clover leaf is about the same size as the numbers and letters you commonly see stamped on that pad.

There may or may not be other digits stamped there as well, depending on whether the engine was built for the production line or for service stock to be shipped out and used as a replacement engine. BP
                        How much value does that add to the car if its factory ? and I know it's a dumb question but where is the engine serial number on a hawk like that

Comment

Normally the engine number would be stamped in that same area as the cloverleaf, but as this is a factory replacement, no number was stamped. I've heard that some would get stamped in the same engine number as the original, but I don't know if that would have been done by the Dealer or perhaps by the owner.
                          sals54

Comment

Working...
                          X