Gentleman's Chop on a 53/61 Coupe (and a few other minor mods) - Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
    You are correct, the article appeared in Custom Rodder in Spring 1991 issue. The article follows Dick Dean chopping a Starliner, much easier since there is no B pillar to deal with. I have a scanned version of the article, I am not sure if posting it here would violate copyright laws.
    Thanks Pat...I had imagined that the article went back to the late 50`s or early 60`s. Junior.
    sigpic
    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
      As they say 'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'. That said, I far and away prefer the stock roof profile and drip rails.
      And those weird euro headlights..... uggg.

If a chopped Stude like these were to come into my possession I'd be seeking a stock one to trade it for, even if I had to toss in a few grand extra to git rid of those unneeded and unwanted 'improvements'.
      I agree, those headlights are awful. It throws off the proportions of the lights and the air scoops on either side of the grill. And don't get me started about putting low profile wide tires on a classic car....

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        Junior

I'm having trouble remembering my forum log-in data and you're recalling a 3 year old post.

Thanks for posting, Bob

Comment

Yep and I'm very interested to see them too. I agree it is a design hard to improve on.
          Not to say it can't be don't though. If anyone can do it,..
          Woody can do it!

Totally different scenario but briefly considered it on my 52. Just couldn't on this particular year model.

Dean.

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          We ain't callin' it nuttin til we see pictures.

Bob
          Last edited by dean pearson; 01-06-2013, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
            Junior

I'm having trouble remembering my forum log-in data and you're recalling a 3 year old post.

Thanks for posting, Bob
            Happy to help out...Brian has gotten side-tracked on his Hawk project, and I think his wife`s too because he`s been working on his trailer project. Never met him in person, but from the other fab work he has shared with me through e-mails, he is quite accomplished in metal work and seems to be afraid of nothing. I love the way he chopped his Hawk and hope he gets back to work on it soon. Regards, Junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
              Watch carefully as I step into this, neck deep... While I too admire the work of a great metal man, I still don't like the gentlemen's chop. Nor do I think the removal of the drip rail enhances the body lines. The chop removes the tapered shape of the roof line to the body, and the drip rail is a repeat of and supporting character of the scallop on the side of the door. The rounded corners of the door frame do help, but don't alter the flat and straight line of the top of the window which now is in great contrast to the sexy curves of the rest of the car. I mean, the chop is supposed to lower the look of the roofline. The gentlemans chop reduces the rearward sloping of the roof and the absence of the drip rail causes one's eye to intensify the top's bulbous appearance. The coolest chops of the Studes I've seen are most often found on the Bonneville cars wherein the top is chopped front and rear, thus lowering the entire roofline and maintaining the rear slope of the drip rail. This is one of those cars where Burke got it sooo right the first time, improving the look is very difficult.
              There... how many feathers did I ruffle with that rant??? Not intended, mind you, but still just my opinion.
              You have said it before, as have I, http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=impossible , it is next to impossible to 'improve' on something that was designed right the first time. Modifying a '53/'53 C/k is like trying to turn a Barcelona Chair into a barstool.

Craig

Comment

This person has a great vision for building a car. The frame work, suspension, powertrain, everything looks inspired. This car is most likely a joy to drive and ride in. To worry about drip-rail and height of the chop, blah blah blah, is because we have way to much time on our hands. Everyone of us would drive this car everyday and love it. This car looks great.

Comment

Two comments:
                  1. I don't believe there is an issue with copyright as long as you attribute the article to the author and previous publication and don't try to make it look as if it is your work.
                  2. For myself, I don't get the idea of chopping a car so little it is hard to notice. And the 53 coupe or hardtop is darned near perfect to start with. Its so good that I would not know what to change if I had the opportunity and cost was no object. Shave the emblems maybe. As a designer there are not that many cars I look at and say "change nothing". If I had all that money to spend I would use it on making the chassis perfect since that is far from perfect as compared to modern cars.
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

OK, I have posted the Dick Dean article here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...gazine-Article
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                    X