Gentleman's Chop on a 53/61 Coupe (and a few other minor mods) - Custom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentleman's Chop on a 53/61 Coupe (and a few other minor mods) - Custom

Nice built pictorial.... (lot's of pic's)

http://www.southernrodcustom.com/ind...d=72&Itemid=89
    and
    http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=30302

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 01-06-2013, 05:27 AM.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Very cool build. A suggestion I would make is to round the corners of the doors. Without the drip rails those square or sharp corners look out of place when everything else on the cars has more rounded shapes. I really enjoy seeing the work of metal craftsmen.
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Very cool build. A suggestion I would make is to round the corners of the doors. Without the drip rails those square or sharp corners look out of place when everything else on the cars has more rounded shapes. I really enjoy seeing the work of metal craftsmen.
      Not to mention, it's a long standing custom tradition to round off the corners of any openings in the envelope of the car.
      The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Watch carefully as I step into this, neck deep... While I too admire the work of a great metal man, I still don't like the gentlemen's chop. Nor do I think the removal of the drip rail enhances the body lines. The chop removes the tapered shape of the roof line to the body, and the drip rail is a repeat of and supporting character of the scallop on the side of the door. The rounded corners of the door frame do help, but don't alter the flat and straight line of the top of the window which now is in great contrast to the sexy curves of the rest of the car. I mean, the chop is supposed to lower the look of the roofline. The gentlemans chop reduces the rearward sloping of the roof and the absence of the drip rail causes one's eye to intensify the top's bulbous appearance. The coolest chops of the Studes I've seen are most often found on the Bonneville cars wherein the top is chopped front and rear, thus lowering the entire roofline and maintaining the rear slope of the drip rail. This is one of those cars where Burke got it sooo right the first time, improving the look is very difficult.
        There... how many feathers did I ruffle with that rant??? Not intended, mind you, but still just my opinion.
        sals54

Comment

Agreed, Sal - I don't like chopped Studebaker rooflines on the Loewy coupes. Especially ones that flatten that delicious and seductive compound curve.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I keep looking at the before and after pictures and can't decide if I like it or not. I appreciated the skill and workmanship that went into the chop. That being said, I find that the top of the door is now very pronounced, where originally the drip rail tied the door into the quarter window, making a smooth transition. To me, something just doesn't look right and I don't think rounding the corner of the door is going to make it any better or worse. I tend to agree that dropping the roof equally and retaining the drip rail would have been a better choice. Or, just leave it original as the body lines of this car are pretty darn sleek to start with. Just my opinion and you know what they say about them, everybodies got one.
            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
            1950 Champion Convertible
            1950 Champion 4Dr
            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

At least they put a decent engine in it.
              Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Posted by sals54

There... how many feathers did I ruffle with that rant??? Not intended, mind you, but still just my opinion
                Heck no Sal, we all know that everybody's got one.

I don't see many customs that I wouldn't change somethings on but I usually judge them by "Would I drive it and park it in my garage?" On this one I would say YES!!!

I like the overall concept including the head light treatment, which I don't usually like, but I'm really impressed with the final appearance (I'd round the sharp corners) and the quality of the build. I was wondering how he was going to handle the starter placement until I saw it was right hand drive.

Bob

Comment

thank goodness he didn't go with a SBC!!!!
                  Mark Riesch
                  New Bern, NC

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                    Watch carefully as I step into this, neck deep... While I too admire the work of a great metal man, I still don't like the gentlemen's chop. Nor do I think the removal of the drip rail enhances the body lines. The chop removes the tapered shape of the roof line to the body, and the drip rail is a repeat of and supporting character of the scallop on the side of the door. The rounded corners of the door frame do help, but don't alter the flat and straight line of the top of the window which now is in great contrast to the sexy curves of the rest of the car. I mean, the chop is supposed to lower the look of the roofline. The gentlemans chop reduces the rearward sloping of the roof and the absence of the drip rail causes one's eye to intensify the top's bulbous appearance. The coolest chops of the Studes I've seen are most often found on the Bonneville cars wherein the top is chopped front and rear, thus lowering the entire roofline and maintaining the rear slope of the drip rail. This is one of those cars where Burke got it sooo right the first time, improving the look is very difficult.
                    There... how many feathers did I ruffle with that rant??? Not intended, mind you, but still just my opinion.
                    My 53 coupe was chopped about 20 years ago by past owner it is the 2" front drop called the gentleman's chop the money and time spent to do this is not something I would have spent money on but past owner was very good body man and paid to have the rough work done in the tune of around $2000.00 back then and he finished it himself. I got the car after he passed away and the family figured it was time to put it in someone else's hands and when asked if I would be interested in it I said in a heart beat, it would be my honor to own his pride and joy he owned it for close to 45 years, I do think the lower front does look better but I would never remove the drip rails it just gives me the feeling of something missing, car is sleek enough with removing them, this car in question to me looks out of place being a later year "C" body car and not the 53-54 lowey. remembering this is a hobby for most of us I have tried to not down grade others. some times I think money could have been put to better use, my opinion only. compare this picture with the front shot of the project car , what looks out of place ??

Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Those are very distinctive rims. Were they on the car when you got them or did you put them on?

Comment

I believe that if He were a 'gentleman', He would have left it alone!! (Bourke/Loewy got it right the first time...why mess with perfection?)

Comment

Whole lot of work and not much merit if any on the roof restyle. I like Bob's roof. Then again, I can't see changing a C K cept making a convertible out of one. cheers jimmijim
                          sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Well, I am one more that think's it's awful hard to improve on the contours of this body design. Looks like a lot of chopping up to get a gentlemans chop. Bob, was yours cut up like that and put back? There was one chopped (gentlemans chop), at a body shop I used to paint for, years ago. That top was never sectioned and put back.
                            Really nice build. Good to see someone using a "unusual" engine.

Comment

Hey Bob and Bob, I totally get what ya'll are saying, as I too would be more than happy to have either one of those Rods in my garage. The point was and is just an eye on the prize of what is or is not my personal preference. I dig the fact that anyone is going to build a car to their own tastes and I respect that. I just feel strongly that these cars are one of those body styles that are quite difficult to improve upon. Subtle and simple changes seem to work the best on these. At least in my eyes anyhoo.
                              I guess the offer stands at: if anyone has a way b*tchin 53 or 54 Hotrod with a gentlman's chop that they would like to park in my garage with the proviso that the keys be left in the ignition and free reign is liberally given to me for the purpose of excercising said Hotrod, then by all means, wheel that Hog over here and let the tire spinning, ( I mean, parking ) begin.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X