Smallest Studebaker V8 ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smallest Studebaker V8 ever.

Too bad it can't run! I had been trying to buy this from a friend of mine for a while. They were only made in 1950 to introduce the new 232 V8. I guess they were never given out to the public, but were made in the factory. I don't think they are extremely rare, still neat though.

The one I really want to find is the crankshaft that they made at the same time. It's a little larger than the engine block, but I've only ever seen one in a photo.
    Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM. Reason: entered 224 instead of 232. oops
    Chris Dresbach

That's really unusual....is it a brass casting?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
      That's really unusual....is it a brass casting?
      Cast iron. It's just like the real thing only smaller. The bore holes are even staggered! The color you see in the photo is actually some kind of red primer which I believe is original.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

All cast iron...

And to confuse the issue....

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

How 'bout more pics at different views. Include something we all are familiar with so we can get an idea of the actual size. In all the years I have been in the SDC...I never knew these existed. Pretty neat.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks Jeff, While I was typing...you were posting.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              /Cut/They were only made in 1950 to introduce the new 224 V8./Cut/
              Aah, make that a 232 Chris.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

The block is just a little too large to fit inside this 1:18 scale '51 Commander. (If I had an actual engine sitting here, would that make this photo small, medium, and large?) That's a regular quarter in front of the block too.
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Nonsense! Stick that thing in the mouth of that '51 and tell everyone it's a scale model of the mythical Studebaker BIG BLOCK.
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    All cast iron...

And to confuse the issue....

all right, break out your calipers and upsize the V-10!

Comment

*** Want! ***

Comment

That would make a great paperweight!!! Plus it has more class than a scored 232 piston.

Comment

Quinn has one. He bought it right in front of my nose at Hershey. I didn't know what the connection was. He said they made them when they oppened the new foundry. I'm sure Dick will chime in with the details.

Comment

If the holes are big enough, it would make a neat holder for pencils and pens.
                            Charlie D.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7473 miniature block.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	1678405

A few notes of clarification. Above the V-8 engine block along with the crankshaft. I was told that the engine blocks were made concurrently with the introduction of the V-8 cars in late 1950 (1951 model year). They were given out to executives for use as a paper weight and pencil holder. I have never seen anything in writing to substantiate this. The information I have comes from Carl Thompson who worked at Studebaker from 1933-72. As for the crankshaft I have even less information on it. I have no idea when or by whom it was made but it came originally from a South Bend source.

As for Rex’s comments about an item I bought at the Hershey, PA swap meet that was the item below, a commemorative paperweight documenting the first pour at the new South Bend foundry on August 27, 1924. This one shown in the photo is original though it was reproduced many years ago. I know the Studebaker museum has one of the reproductions on display. I am not sure if they have an original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7477 foundry 1924.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1678406
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
                              X