Who was Responsible: Valvoline or STP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    It has always stood for Scientifically Treated Petroleum. Nothing else, ever. Studebaker's name was not a part of it, even when Chemical Compounds was a division of The Studebaker Corporation. BP

I originally knew STP as Scientifically Treated Petroleum. I thought that in later years STP stood for Scientifically Tested Products. I think that this coincided with STP's branching out to several products.
    As with 99% of my inputs on the Forum, this is from memory. Someone else is welcome to research it.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
      I originally knew STP as Scientifically Treated Petroleum. I thought that in later years STP stood for Scientifically Tested Products. I think that this coincided with STP's branching out to several products.
      As with 99% of my inputs on the Forum, this is from memory. Someone else is welcome to research it.
      What you'd probably run into there, Gary, is STP the product versus STP the company.

When Chemical Compounds had it, the product's initials would have stood for Scientifically-Treated Petroleum.

Later, when the company itself got bought and sold and became known as STP (rather than Chemical Compounds), the entire company's initals STP could have morphed into Scientifically-Tested Products, one of which would still be the mainstay Scientifically-Treated Petroleum; STP Oil Treatment.

IIRC, a similar thing happened with WD-40. It was originally marketed by a company with another name, but morphed into WD-40 Company. Again, IIRC. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Way back when I was once told that STP also stood for "STudebaker-Packard", but that's nonsense since STP was around as a product before Chemical Compounds became a Studebaker Division. I guess just a happy coincidence once Studebaker purchased the company and company people could claim that.

I've always understood STP stood for Scientifically Treated Petroleum...any other reasons may or may not have validity depending on who is telling it.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
          Here's a close-up of that Hawk: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=granatelli

And there are some more color photos of it in the December, 2009 Hemmings Muscle Machines.

Craig
          To: 8E45E,---That black/white Bonneville photo is great for all it's detail...looks like the HRM road test R3 Daytona hidden behind #5 Can't be sure if #5 is an R3 or R4 powered '64 GT Hawk.

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,-----Would You happen to have any engine compartment photos of the R3 or R4 Bonneville '64 Gt Hawks?

Comment

Bob P., In post #11 above linking to the Bonneville photo, I believe a "V" Valvoline sticker is on the rear window of the Avanti (as well as having the large "STP" sticker). StudeRich then must be correct. I can't make out what the third sticker is.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                To: Studebaker Wheel,-----Would You happen to have any engine compartment photos of the R3 or R4 Bonneville '64 Gt Hawks?
                Word on the street has it Jet Streak

Comment

Originally posted by Radsman View Post
                  Bob P., In post #11 above linking to the Bonneville photo, I believe a "V" Valvoline sticker is on the rear window of the Avanti (as well as having the large "STP" sticker). StudeRich then must be correct. I can't make out what the third sticker is.
                  No doubt about it; both Valvoline and STP would have lined up to take credit for protecting the engines, and I'm sure both products were in the crankcases of all engines.

I've blown up the photo and looked at that third sticker, the one between the STP and Valvoline logos on the back of the Avanti. I believe it is Ashland Oil Products. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                  "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

My dad told a story about having a pit pass and visiting the pits in the early sixties when STP was first being promoted. Jack Brabham was working on his Indy car and Dad saw he was putting stp into it. Dad asked him if it really worked as advertised. Jack said..."It doesn't seem to hurt anything". I expect he got some money to run it too.
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

That GT Hawk in the background might be the car that is in the Bell Studebaker Diner and Museum in Bellingham, Washington. If my memory serves me right, it is now white (or could be a different car) BUT it is one that was used during those record breaking runs.

Comment

Working...
                      X