No announcement yet.

Who was Responsible: Valvoline or STP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who was Responsible: Valvoline or STP?

From the January 1964 Hot Rod magazine.

Let's see, the advertisement would have you believe it was Valvoline oil that was responsible for each engine having, "absolutely no sign of wear."

OTOH, Studebaker's Chemical Compounds Division would likely have you believe it was STP Oil Treatment!

Like the old Clairol hair color advertisements, "Only her hairdresser knows for sure." (Her hairdresser and Andy Granatelli in this case, and you can be sure the tune Andy sang was determined by the audience he was entertaining!) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    From the January 1964 Hot Rod magazine. Like the old Clairol hair color advertisements, "Only her hairdresser knows for sure." (Her hairdresser and Andy Granatelli in this case, and you can be sure the tune Andy sang was determined by the audience he was entertaining!) BP
    You wouldn't suspect the prospect of a "Sponsor's check" could have influenced these claims....Naw...pure honest charitable motives...plain 'n simple.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I wonder if the '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk (#5) in the background is the R3 or the R4 car?

Comment

OK Bob, how about BOTH!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          OK Bob, how about BOTH!
          OMG, Rich; 'hadn't thought of that! <GGG> BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wouldn't that be a false ad?
            I have a special mix of racing oil that I use in the Studebaker and my racing lawn tractors. It starts out with 32wt basic racing oil that I get from an undisclosed source somwhere in Indiana, mixed with Hyper Lube and a bottle of ZDDP. I think that mix is better than anything store bought, and that engine will last beyond a lifetime.
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

In his autobiography "They Call Me Mister 500", Andy Granatelli said that they were having problems with the Bonneville effort due to engine and oil temperatures being too high. According to Andy they tried using STP in each car and no further problems. I know Andy was a promoter as much as anything else, so if that was actually how things went, it would contradict Valvoline's claim that their products were used exclusively...if they were even aware that STP was used.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I remember reading a STP ad that used virtually the same wording. Valvoline/ Ashland Oil was never a part of Studebaker holdings was it? The ad I remember sounded almost identical to the Valvoline ad, just take out the Valvoline and put in the STP wording.
                sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by plwindish View Post
                  I remember reading a STP ad that used virtually the same wording. Valvoline/ Ashland Oil was never a part of Studebaker holdings was it? The ad I remember sounded almost identical to the Valvoline ad, just take out the Valvoline and put in the STP wording.
                  No, it was not. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Here's a little comparison test of my own.
                    each year we go to the Turkey Run in Daytona. About a 200 mile trip each way,plus about 100 miles around town while we are there for a total of approximately 500 miles for the trip. For the past 4 years we have driven the GT. the car has the original engine and believe it or not, it has developed some oil leaks!
                    Since we have owned it(1993) I have used Quaker State 30W, with a can of STP for the ZDDP content. It would usually be a quart low when we got to Daytona,Top it off and it would be a quart low when we got home.
                    This year, due to the reccomendations of people I have a great deal of respect for on this forum, I switched to Valvoline Racing oil with the ZDDP already in it before the trip south.

I poured 4 quarts of valvoline through that thing! I think I'm gonna go back to QS+ STP.
                    Neil Thornton

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      I wonder if the '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk (#5) in the background is the R3 or the R4 car?
                      Here's a close-up of that Hawk: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=granatelli

And there are some more color photos of it in the December, 2009 Hemmings Muscle Machines.

Craig

Comment

Ok, what did STP stand for? When I was a teen we thought it was Studebaker Top Performance and others thought it was Special Treated Petroleum. For me, I would like to think the Studebaker name was part of it.

Comment

Does that Avanti have the stock "rake"?
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JEWELL View Post
                            Ok, what did STP stand for? When I was a teen we thought it was Studebaker Top Performance and others thought it was Special Treated Petroleum. For me, I would like to think the Studebaker name was part of it.
                            It has always stood for Scientifically Treated Petroleum. Nothing else, ever. Studebaker's name was not a part of it, even when Chemical Compounds was a division of The Studebaker Corporation. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

STP Information from Studebaker's 1962 Annual Report:

********************************************************

And from Studebaker's 1963 Annual Report:

BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X