York Hotel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York Hotel

If anyone is planning to go to the SDC flea market in York, PA, my advice is to not stay at the Holiday Inn. Last year I had $500 stolen out of a suitcase while at the flea market. It could only have been taken by one of the women who clean the room. The hotel did nothing about it. Since it was cash, they would not cover it. I will never stay again at a place where the help goes through my luggage.

Sorry to hear that, but YOU left $500 in cash in a hotel room? Really? Not very smart.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

No one should be going through your luggage at a hotel room. The worst part is that the hotel management did nothing about it. As stude44 says, stay away from that place.

Comment

I've stayed in that hotel and probably will again , I kind of agree with both the previous postings.......no one should be going through your luggage but leaving money in a hotel room .....really ?
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

It's not your fault...it's the fault of the thief or thieves. It's not like you left your money sitting on a table in a public place...it was in a room rented and paid for by you where you have a right to privacy and a reasonable expectation of security of your belongings.

I was chastised several years ago and told it was my own fault for some cretin going into my car at a car show and stealing my camera that was placed under other items. That did not go well with me...being told I was responsible for someone stealing my property was over the line.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I find all of this kind of awkward.
            Sure.. It's maddening to get ripped off.
            But it was avoidable.
            I'll bet you a half eaten donut that the thieving employee had worked there less than a year, and doesn't work there now.
            Betcha there was a closet safe in there too.
            I've stayed in that very motel a bunch of times.
            Sure it sucks when something is stolen.
            But.... It was avoidable.
            Sure the thief was a bad person.
            But it was avoidable.
            All thieves are bad people...just looking for opportunities.
            I travel most of the year and stay a LOT in Holiday Inn's.
            I have never gotten ripped off (yet/so far) while staying at a motel.
            One reason is I don't leave anything valuable in the room.
            Don't leave it out in the open in the car, either.
            What happened to you could happen anywhere, and with the same reaction, and the same result.
            Did you file a police report?
            Did you follow up with the manager? The owner? The franchise? The better business bureau?
            (If you did...good for you!)
            Not nitpicking, but you came on the forum slamming a local business 10 months after something happened to you.
            Is that place still owned by the same people?
            On the bright side. I know there will probably be rooms available at that Holiday Inn.
            Last edited by showbizkid; 01-04-2013, 11:28 PM.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Yep...some good comments here. Some, more articulate than others. I wouldn't say you are not smart. Some of the dumbest things I have ever seen were done by some pretty smart people. I tend to believe you were a victim of a lapse in judgement. You might have thought that your money would be safer in your luggage than in your pocket while rubbing up against some irresistible NOS parts at the swap meet...less than wise judgement.

I have always said that the highest tuition of any school is the "college of real-world experience." In this case, you have gained in wisdom and are much smarter. However, it did cost you $500 plus the cost of the room.

If you decide to attend this year...perhaps we could split the cost of the room. Two people smart enough not to leave valuables in their room should be a good deal!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Is'nt it really avoidable "once"? you say you never had anything ripped off at a motel,but have you had anything stolen at a motel ? maybe Jim had bad experiences with such ?
                Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                I find all of this kind of awkward.
                Sure.. It's maddening to get ripped off.
                But it was avoidable.
                I'll bet you a half eaten donut that the thieving employee had worked there less than a year, and doesn't work there now.
                Betcha there was a closet safe in there too.
                I've stayed in that very motel a bunch of times.
                Sure it sucks when something is stolen.
                But.... It was avoidable.
                Sure the thief was a bad person.
                But it was avoidable.
                All thieves are bad people...just looking for opportunities.
                I travel most of the year and stay a LOT in Holiday Inn's.
                I have never gotten ripped off (yet/so far) while staying at a motel.
                One reason is I don't leave anything valuable in the room.
                Don't leave it out in the open in the car, either.
                What happened to you could happen anywhere, and with the same reaction, and the same result.
                Did you file a police report?
                Did you follow up with the manager? The owner? The franchise? The better business bureau?
                (If you did...good for you!)
                Not nitpicking, but you came on the forum slamming a local business 10 months after something happened to you.
                Is that place still owned by the same people?
                On the bright side. I know there will probably be rooms available at that Holiday Inn.
                Last edited by showbizkid; 01-04-2013, 11:27 PM.
                Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

I lost my high school class ring in a very upscale hotel in Hollywood, Florida many decades ago. I believe the maid took it. I blame myself for not keeping it on my finger. Forty years later I remember the lesson and have probably not suffered greatly by the absence of the ring. I never did purchase a college class ring.
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Yes, Jeff, I bet you're right as others have stated they've been satisfied with the service. Unfortunately, there were a few victims before this individual was caught.

Craig

Comment

This country is a melting pot, it's no different than when the Italians, Irish, Chinese and Jews, came in 50, 100, 150 years ago.
                      Time is a great healier. Like it or not it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by stude44 View Post
                        If anyone is planning to go to the SDC flea market in York, PA, my advice is to not stay at the Holiday Inn. Last year I had $500 stolen out of a suitcase while at the flea market. It could only have been taken by one of the women who clean the room. The hotel did nothing about it. Since it was cash, they would not cover it. I will never stay again at a place where the help goes through my luggage.
                        The most important point in Jeff's comments is DID YOU FILE A POLICE REPORT? Had you done so I would like to think a proper investigation would have taken place.
                        Stu Chapman

Comment

To clarify my post, I didn't mean the op isn't smart. I meant leaving money in a hotel room isn't smart.
                          Chip
                          '63 Cruiser
                          '57 Packard wagon
                          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
                          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I have edited a couple of posts here at the request of a couple of people. Let's leave the racial component out of our discussions, please.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Gettysburg has nice rooms available just but a few minutes away. jimmijim
                              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Working...
                              X