No announcement yet.

One of a kind Studebaker located in South Africa 1935 President Land Cruiser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yikes! I had totally forgotten the Studebaker/Pierce Arrow connection!
    Beautiful automobile!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

I just love those fender skirts with the chrome wisps. This car is moving while standing still!
      John
      59 Silver Hawk
      3E12D-122-C4

Comment

I wonder how much Studebaker's design was influenced by Pierce's Silver Arrow ?

Beautiful car, Thanks for sharing !

Frank McM.

Comment

Wow, Art Deco at its finest. Thanks Richard!
          Pat Dilling
          Olivehurst, CA
          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

There's got to be a really good story about this beauty. Definitely worth a write-up in TW.
            Jim K.
            63 Hawk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	pierce silver arrow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	1676530

This is the 1933 Pierce Silver Arrow, the impetus for the Studebaker aerodynamic Land Cruisers of 1934-35. The Silver Arrow was designed by Philip Wright and 5 of them were built by the artisans in Paul J. Auman’s prototype body department at Studebaker. All was done in a period of 3 short months! (Aumans men also made the giant ’31 President wooden car that stood at the company’s Proving Ground for nearly 6 years). The 5 Silver Arrows were built on a 138” chassis and were powered by the 175 hp Pierce V-12. They carried a price tag of $10,000. Later in 1934-35 Pierce (now independent of Studebaker) offered what has come to be called a production Silver Arrow that carried over many of the design features of the original though all of these were 2-door coupes. Of the 5 original Silver Arrows 4 have survived including this one. There is much more to the story but that’s it in a nut shell.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

For years Max Corkins had one of these in his Lewistown Pa. restoration facility. Any body here member it? jimmijim
                sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

I'd love to have a 34 or 35 Studebaker Land cruiser to cruise the interstates.
                  101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                    I'd love to have a 34 or 35 Studebaker Land cruiser to cruise the interstates.
                    Ford Stoecker does exactly that with his '34. 'Pulls a color matching tear-drop trailer with his.

Craig

Comment

Thanks for the additional info, Richard !

I'd glady have a '34-'35 Land Cruiser any day !

Comment

Here are a couple pictures of a 1933 Silver Arrow that was part of "The Allure of the Automobile" presentation I visited in Portland a couple years ago. A magnificent automobile. Definitely see the influence.

Pat Dilling
                        Olivehurst, CA
                        Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Here are some pictures of my parents 1935 Commander Landcruiser. It was originally dark green. Note the sun burst in the upholstery around the door handle. I think this car is body number 44.

Name:	1935 Commander Landcruiser 1.jpg
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	1676531

Name:	1935 Commander Landcruiser 2.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	1676532

Name:	1935 Commander Landcruiser 3.jpg
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1676533

Name:	1935 Commander Landcruiser 4.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1676534

Name:	1935 Commander Landcruiser 5.jpg
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	1676535

Comment

So Richard - you didn't answer my question (not that you have to) - where had this President been hiding prior to this?
                            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                              So Richard - you didn't answer my question (not that you have to) - where had this President been hiding prior to this?
                              I didn't answer your question because I didn't want to!! I have no history of the car at all and to my knowledge it has never belonged to an SDC or ASC member and was generally unknown to even long time Studebaker aficionados in South Africa. Therefore I labeleld it as I did, "recently discovered." Obviously to the previous owners of the car it was not "recently discovered." Kinda like Columbus "discovering" America. The Indians were certainly gratified, I am sure, at being "discovered!"
                              Richard Quinn
                              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

At least the Studebaker World are now aware of it's existence and hopefully the owners will join the Soth African Studebaker Club or at least keep in touch with them.
                                John Clements
                                Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                                X