X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hawk gt 62 rhd
    replied
    Those USA jacks man,dangerous stuff not to be used at all
    You will not only have a flat tire but also an accident.
    This jack is really the only wrong thing on a Stude.

Leave a comment:

• Silverplate
    replied
    Still would love to have a complete original Avanti jack myself.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    I know where they all went...... They were left on the side of the road after the first use!

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    On Larks and Lark Type Sedans, they do go under the spare, held in place (quietly) by the Tire.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    OK, the part number for the wrenches is 513201. Looking for two...

And where do the wrenches go? Do they on the jack, go under the spare...

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    Smart Ass! My Hawk came with a jack, but the wrong base, making it useless.
    Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
    I don't know, maybe ask Jill?

Leave a comment:

• Lou Van Anne
    replied
    I don't know, maybe ask Jill?
    Originally posted by Swifster View Post
    When I got my '64 Daytona, it came without a jack. When I got my '64 Commander, it came without a jack. What happened to all the jacks?

Leave a comment:

• Mikado282
    replied
    Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
    They were not the best design as far as safety is concerned. That said, remember, we didn't need safety warnings on any of the products we used back in the "good old days." We were brought up to look both ways before crossing and to beware of what could happen if we did not keep our eyes open to a few simple laws of physics.
    I can't remember how many times I've used those jacks to change a flat on Studebakers, Cadillacs, Hudsons, Oldsmobiles, et.al., in all sorts of weather and any time of the day or night. Move to level ground; maintain jack post in near perfect vertical. Always be alert and leery but, in a pinch, used wisely, it may be your only alternative.
    I specifically remember one Christmas Eve when I was headed home from Penn State in a '57 Cadillac. It was a bitter cold night in a squalling snowstorm. As I crested Cresson mountain on Rt 22 my right rear tire blew. Nothing was open at that point and no one was anywhere, except me and that bumper jack. The biggest problem with them is you need to jack the bumper so high to get the tire off the ground, as it hangs from the distended spring.
    Yes, they look good bracketed in the trunk for a show. A bottle jack or scissor jack under the axle is much safer, requires less energy and far superior.
    And it further went downhill using a bumper jack if you had tires that were larger than stock.

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    I was able to souce a pair of jacks locally for the Daytona and Commander. I got the bolt to hold down the spare. Does anyone have a jack handle or two? Heck, if I get the trunk floor mats and spare tire cover, I'll have everything I need...
    Last edited by Swifster; 10-08-2014, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    So, here I am minding my own business, working under my truck, when someone drives by and tells me to "be careful". I was using TWO boards to hold up the truck, not just ONE ! ! ! ! How much more safe could I be ???? I was already TWICE as safe as using only ONE board.
    Just kidding, of course. This is a famous internet picture of what NOT to do.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Swifster
    replied
    Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
    i have always thought that bumper/scissor jacks were for "on the road" flat tire emergencies where one would not think about going underneath the vehicle...

anyone using one for under the vehicle service is just waiting for a nomination for a "Darwin Award"! http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/
    X2...I've used them before, but only for the job intended.

Leave a comment:

• Corvanti
    replied
    i have always thought that bumper/scissor jacks were for "on the road" flat tire emergencies where one would not think about going underneath the vehicle...

anyone using one for under the vehicle service is just waiting for a nomination for a "Darwin Award"! http://www.darwinawards.com/darwin/

Leave a comment:

• jnormanh
    replied
    Originally posted by ddub View Post
    Good one!
    Bumper jacks? The most dangerous and evil thing known to man. I'known and seen many folks injured by those ill engineered and foolish things. If you want one for show, OK, but get a proper hydraulic frame jack to use. And a decent set of jack stands.

I'd rather put a gun to my head than use a bumper jack. It'd be a tossup.

Leave a comment:

• ddub
    replied
    Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
    Sal asks: "Hitchhiking, perhaps??" No Sal, it's been Hijacked!
    Good one!

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    Sal asks: "Hitchhiking, perhaps??" No Sal, it's been Hijacked!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X