No announcement yet.

Where Did All The Jacks Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Truck jacks were as described in post #3. A screw jack for the straight axles with a long folding handle rod it raise it.
    Instead of a combo Hub Cap tool/jack handle/lug wrench tool like a car, they had a simple open end wrench.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Try finding one for a packard hawk. I've been looking for several years. They are more rare than the car itself.
      don

Comment

I would guess the 2R5 was the only one with "a long folding handle rod" to operate the jack. The bigger trucks used a handle/rim tool to operate the jack. And an open end wrench for a 2R15 might fit the nut on the spare tire carrier but I doubt it would do much good on the 3/4" diameter lug nuts. Plus, the 1/2 ton jack has a different part number than the bigger truck jack, leading me to think it might be larger/heavier duty than the 1/2 ton jack.
        Rick
        Kingman, AZ

Comment

I have some jacke in the shed that I have aquired, but I have no idea what they fit. A reference page would be great!!
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

It's even worse than I thought. I figured a few guys might have a 'stash'. I know the parts book shows 5 or 6 different jacks with corresponding bases. These were based on year and assembly plant.
            Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

They were not the best design as far as safety is concerned. That said, remember, we didn't need safety warnings on any of the products we used back in the "good old days." We were brought up to look both ways before crossing and to beware of what could happen if we did not keep our eyes open to a few simple laws of physics.
              I can't remember how many times I've used those jacks to change a flat on Studebakers, Cadillacs, Hudsons, Oldsmobiles, et.al., in all sorts of weather and any time of the day or night. Move to level ground; maintain jack post in near perfect vertical. Always be alert and leery but, in a pinch, used wisely, it may be your only alternative.
              I specifically remember one Christmas Eve when I was headed home from Penn State in a '57 Cadillac. It was a bitter cold night in a squalling snowstorm. As I crested Cresson mountain on Rt 22 my right rear tire blew. Nothing was open at that point and no one was anywhere, except me and that bumper jack. The biggest problem with them is you need to jack the bumper so high to get the tire off the ground, as it hangs from the distended spring.
              Yes, they look good bracketed in the trunk for a show. A bottle jack or scissor jack under the axle is much safer, requires less energy and far superior.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I looked in parts book found correct base picture purchased use jack cheap at York paintrd istalled in trunk along with small floor jack and some wood blocking needed to change rear tire as floor jack under axle will not allow rear wheel to clear fender opening unless car jacked by bumper or chassis to allow axle to hang down . Good idea to try non bumper jack system at home rather than on the road when you need it. Clipper bumpers do not respond well to bumper jacks as they tend to bend and destort not good after spending money on rechromed bumpers

clipper

Comment

1958 Packard jacks

Yes, they are hard to find.

Larry Y
                  North Wales, PA

Comment

Was that provided with the other '58 Hawks? It looks way better than any bumper jack. Originality plus real utility -- I'd love to get hold of one.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
                    58H-K7 660

Comment

Originally posted by larryyano View Post
                      Yes, they are hard to find.

Oh, those things are what you call a 58 PH jack? I have had two of them out in the shed, and wondered what they were.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                        Oh, those things are what you call a 58 PH jack? I have had two of them out in the shed, and wondered what they were.
                        Just kidding

Comment

Does anyone have a picture of an original 1963 Avanti jack? I have one in my car which "may" be original, but I would like to be able to compare it to the real deal.

Comment

The picture is of the instruction sheet glued to the inside of the trunk lid on my Packard Hawk.
                            Larry Y
                            North Wales, PA

Comment

AnAvanti4Bob...

Here's a photo some kind soul here sent me (sorry but I can't remember who) of a real Avanti jack.Click image for larger version

Name:	jack.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1678392
                              63 Avanti R1 2788
                              1914 Stutz Bearcat
                              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Swifster View Post
                                It's even worse than I thought. I figured a few guys might have a 'stash'. I know the parts book shows 5 or 6 different jacks with corresponding bases. These were based on year and assembly plant.
                                Well, I trudged out through the snow to the shed, and I do have a small stash (5 bumper jacks). No lug wrenches. The bases are all rusty, but they all appear to work, more or less. I believe they are all from Studes, but have no proof of that. The shaft of one is in a capital I shape, not pictured in the 59-64 chassis parts book. I have two that have a V shape, which appears to be type C. And two that are somewhat square and look like type D, but they are of slightly different shapes. I have a US-made 64 Daytona that has the original jack, so could compare them with that and maybe ID them better.

Swifster-- If you want one, lemme know. Since you started this discussion, you get first choice.

Anyone else interested in one, can bring it to York.
                                Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                                X