No announcement yet.

Where Did All The Jacks Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Studebaker offered all kinds of different variations of jacks, more specifically, jack bases. I remember that day at work... Many of the jack bases have only minor differences between them. At SASCO many of them somehow got mixed and unidentified. One fine day George and I went through them, I identified them, and put 'em away. So if anybody needs a jack base, SI now has several different kinds available that I'm pretty sure were lost at SASCO.
    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Studebaker bumper jacks are only good for being "correct" in the trunk, damaging bumpers, and dangerously attempting to raise the car off the ground. I still have a scar on my left knee from where a bumper jack "got me" when I was 16 years old and it slipped out from under a 56J bumper. I only use bottle jacks or scissor jacks, but also understand being "correct" is important to some folks; I just hope nobody actually tries to use them.

Comment

A reference article would be good for us that dont know Jack. Out of all my Studes I think 2 came with jacks. Neither of my Champs have one & only one Avanti has one.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

At one time I had so many different Studebaker jacks and offered here to the forum members and only had a few people came forward so all were sent to Australia.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

I have seen then in my cars and parts piles in "T" shaped post and base, "Y" shape, "A" shape and square shaped, they used many designs and Suppliers often in the same year.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Lothar View Post
              It would be a great benefit to the club if someone would create a reference page of photos or illustrations of correct factory jacks for different models and years.
              Excellent idea. My '64 came with the jack, the stand, and the bumper cradle, but no handle/lug wrench. When I took it out to inspect the trunk, a couple screws and washers fell out from somewhere. Ah well...
              Sue

Comment

Thunderations
                I would gladly take you up on your offer to post pix of your 1950 jack. My car is pretty original, but it didn't have a jack, so I'm not even sure what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

I am still looking for a proper jack for my 56 Champion. Don't intend to use it but would like one for in the trunk. A picture of what it looks like would be appreciated.
                  Nick

Comment

I was going to say they are all gone because their main useful purpose was self defense!

I remember one day my dad and I were using one and he had the car up about halfway or all the way and he did something and the car came down all the way at once. Yipes!

I have never used one since if any other alternative existed!
                    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

This is an unrestored jack that came in my 1950 Regal Deluxe Starlight Coupe. The bar is 31 inches long and the hook fits the bumper nicely. It even works, but I'm still not going to trust it. As far as I know, it is correct.
                      Originally posted by Lothar View Post
                      Thunderations
                      I would gladly take you up on your offer to post pix of your 1950 jack. My car is pretty original, but it didn't have a jack, so I'm not even sure what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

The rear bumper on my 64 Daytona has dents at the bottom which I assume was from using the factory jack. It was missing the jack when I got it. It had a large scissor jack instead. I did get a correct one but it's broken. We had a couple of 70 oldsmobiles that had bent bumpers too. Most likely from the jack.
                        We get in a few used cars where I work that are missing the jacks. I've often thought that people must accidentally leave them behind when they are changing flats.

Comment

For some reason original Avanti jacks are hard to come by.

Adding to the confusion, Nostalgia sells NOS Avanti jacks...but they're correct for "II"s...not Studebakers.
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I have owned and restored many 1955-57 Ford Thunderbirds and they have a jacking plate that bolts between the bumper and the bumper brackets, so that the jack hook puts pressure on the plate instead of the bumper. The only place the hook hits the bumper is on the face of the bumper. Of course some people have insisted on jacking on the bumpers where there is no support and messed everything up, twisting bumpers and bending the bottoms. The plates make sense, but then again, do you really want to jack up the bumper?
                            Originally posted by Bordeaux Daytona View Post
                            The rear bumper on my 64 Daytona has dents at the bottom which I assume was from using the factory jack. It was missing the jack when I got it. It had a large scissor jack instead. I did get a correct one but it's broken. We had a couple of 70 oldsmobiles that had bent bumpers too. Most likely from the jack.
                            We get in a few used cars where I work that are missing the jacks. I've often thought that people must accidentally leave them behind when they are changing flats.
                            sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                            1950 Champion Convertible
                            1950 Champion 4Dr
                            1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                            1957 Thunderbird

Comment

I got a lug wrench with my 2R15 but no jack. Did they come with a jack and if so, what type and what does it look like?
                              Rick
                              Kingman, AZ

Comment

Ken
                                Thanks very much for the quick response with pictures! I really appreciate your help!
                                John
                                1950 Champion
                                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                                Holdrege NE

Comment

Working...
                                X