No announcement yet.

1964 GT Hawk need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PH319 the H stands for the month August but also 64 was only year numbered that way, 64 GT's cream of the crop I think there is a few of us here that can post a picture of nice ones to help you keep going in the right direction, here is mine.

Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
      PH319 the H stands for the month August but also 64 was only year numbered that way, 64 GT's cream of the crop I think there is a few of us here that can post a picture of nice ones to help you keep going in the right direction, here is mine.
      Thanks to all. I am sure I will need some encouragement and these pictures, stories and how to's will be a great help I am sure. Thanks again for the input so far and thanks in advance for your help and support. Dave
      Dave Hugo
      Wellford, SC
      1940 Champion
      1950 Champion Coupe
      1955 President Coupe
      1963 Lark Custom 2 Door V8

Comment

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1964 GT Hawk serial # 64V11177

Dave
        Dave Hugo
        Wellford, SC
        1940 Champion
        1950 Champion Coupe
        1955 President Coupe

Comment

looking forward to hearing all about it. and remember, nothing really happened without pics!
          Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
            Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1964 GT Hawk serial # 64V11177 Dave
            Good move and welcome to the ownership club of 1964 GT Hawks! Just wait to get thumbs up where ever you go and be prepared to hear outrageous stories from Studebaker "know-it-all's" right from that engine is a 289 specially built by Ford with the distributor at the back of the engine to your car is an import from France. Keep us up to date on your progress...First moves that I would make would be the brakes, those brake hoses can be a problem deteriorating from the inside, so change them too, drop the gas tank and clean it out, tune up and then drive it. Your going to love the rumble of that engine, nothing out there sounds like a Studebaker V8 where your neighbours will know when you leave and when you get home. It's very distinct sound, just like a Harley Davidson. If you have the money as your project moves forward invest in the HD front sway bar and the rear sway bar, two additions that make the car ride and corner so much better.

Congratulations once again, just get that car road worthy and drive it before you take it all apart for some 10 year restoration.

Allen
            1964 GT Hawk
            PSMCDR 2014
            Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
            PSMCDR 2013
            Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
              Good move and welcome to the ownership club of 1964 GT Hawks! Just wait to get thumbs up where ever you go and be prepared to hear outrageous stories from Studebaker "know-it-all's" right from that engine is a 289 specially built by Ford with the distributor at the back of the engine to your car is an import from France. Keep us up to date on your progress...First moves that I would make would be the brakes, those brake hoses can be a problem deteriorating from the inside, so change them too, drop the gas tank and clean it out, tune up and then drive it. Your going to love the rumble of that engine, nothing out there sounds like a Studebaker V8 where your neighbours will know when you leave and when you get home. It's very distinct sound, just like a Harley Davidson. If you have the money as your project moves forward invest in the HD front sway bar and the rear sway bar, two additions that make the car ride and corner so much better.

Congratulations once again, just get that car road worthy and drive it before you take it all apart for some 10 year restoration.

Allen
              Allen, Thank You. As it turns out the brakes have been done, all new steel lines and hoses. Right now seller still has the Hawk and as part of the deal is replacing water pump and doing a re bleed of the brakes (water pump making noise and pedal a bit sift and low) as part of the purchase deal. The car will be up on the lift today and I can do a better assesment than I did from the creeper. The engine Does sound great - my Chevy pickup has a great sound with it's 350 and Flowmasters but then again Flowmasters would make a Pinto sound good. After I do a once over and check things out it is a driver, goes forwards, backwards and even stops. Tranny shifts good and o/d kicks in as it should. All lights except one parking and the little deals on top of frt fenders work - radio makes beautiful AM static. Have already ordered trunk floor from Classic Ent. and that will probably start me over my head with my body and welding skills but ....
              I am excited and look forward to it. I will start a thread, l will post pictures, ask hundreds of questions and seek advice.
              Dave Hugo
              Wellford, SC
              1940 Champion
              1950 Champion Coupe
              1955 President Coupe

Comment

Well, I am now the proud owner of a 1964 GT Hawk serial # 64V11177

Dave
                Dave, don't forget to list your car on the GT Hawk Registry, your car will be number 183 on the list.

Mark

Comment

This may be of interest, maybe not: my 'new Hawk' VIN 64V11177
                  MSRP $2958.00
                  Black Sport Roof 65.00
                  OD Transmission 111.00
                  Tachometer 53.80
                  White sidewalls 32.49 (NOT any more)
                  Climatizer (??) 87.95
                  Elec Windshield Washer 13.55
                  Radio Pushbutton 66.95
                  Undercoating 23.50 (wish ithad been done better)
                  Twin Traction 40.00
                  Seatbelts L&R 15.00
                  Frt Bumper Guard 10.00
                  Delivery 72.14
                  $3594.58

Less discount $3010.00
                  Dave Hugo
                  Wellford, SC
                  1940 Champion
                  1950 Champion Coupe
                  1955 President Coupe

Comment

Dave,

The "Climatizer" you make reference to is the factory heater/defroster system. It is not related to the A/C system if it in fact it had one. Hope this helps. Congrats on your purchase. I don't think you'll regret it.

Dan Miller
                    Auburn, GA

Comment

This may be of interest, maybe not: my 'new Hawk' VIN 64V11177
                      MSRP $2958.00
                      Black Sport Roof 65.00
                      OD Transmission 111.00
                      Tachometer 53.80
                      White sidewalls 32.49 (NOT any more)
                      Climatizer (??) 87.95
                      Elec Windshield Washer 13.55
                      Radio Pushbutton 66.95
                      Undercoating 23.50 (wish ithad been done better)
                      Twin Traction 40.00
                      Seatbelts L&R 15.00
                      Frt Bumper Guard 10.00
                      Delivery 72.14
                      $3594.58

Less discount $3010.00

Dave,

Your Hawk is nicely optioned out. Spongy brakes, no biggie, might be the master cylinder, check for any leaking, they are very available at any FLAPS and easy to change out. Does your Hawk have a Hydrovac? Front Drums or Disc? Twin Traction differential,... all good. I really like the OD Transmission all that equals is really good gas mileage on the highway. My Hawk's gas mileage is nothing to talk about on the highway or the city for that matter, yours will be a nice highway holiday cruiser, probably has a 3.31:1 ratio and with that OD tranny. Wow! I bet you will be getting well over 22 MPG in that Hawk! Replace the rear seal in the back glass, my bet that is the cause of the water in the trunk not the trunk seal. Look for water staining on the wheel wells in the trunk, that is where the drip line falls from the corners of the rear glass seal. My Hawk leaks from both front and rear glass seals and I try to avoid the rain. I own both front and rear seals but waiting for the time to install a new headliner before I change them out.

Best of luck with your new Hawk, you truly will love that car.

Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

David, the climatizer is basically a heater/defroster with the heater core located under the front seat. Interesting device that I'm installing in my 1962 RHC Lark. If you haven't already, join the local Chapeter of the SDC and the guys and girls will be of great help with info; parts and advice.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

That's true except in the USA the main heater cores on '61-'66 Larks and Lark Types and '63-'64 Hawks are not underseat. They have fresh air inlets so the Defrost actually WORKS and the core is located on the inner fender on Hawks and in the "air plenum" under dash on Lark types.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Heater core on this is under pass seat.
                            Dave Hugo
                            Wellford, SC
                            1940 Champion
                            1950 Champion Coupe
                            1955 President Coupe

Comment

Well Rich, I really have no idea as I'm not fitting the thing. I appreciate your knowledge and expertise.

Laughs, I received a large box and thought "Ye Gods" when I saw it (smile). It was suggested this was a way to enable both heating/defrosting and Airconditioning when I get that installed, as the original Aussie "Smiths" yes, the instrument makers, heater core sits on the firewall.

In any case I look forward to being warm in winter and cool in summer eventually.
                              John Clements
                              Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Working...
                              X