1964 GT Hawk need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 GT Hawk need advice

Have opprotunity to pick up 64 GT Hawk - 259, running and driveable, 3 speed manual with o/d, vinyl roof(good shape). Has some rot on frt quarters just in front of door hinge area and bubbling other sites- rust thru hole rr upper next to truck lid. Trunk has swiss cheese rust. Headliner good but with mildew, minor seat issues. $2500. I'm a nut and bolts kind of gy and usually avoid projects with rust as I never learned the body and paint trade. Would like some guidance here if possible.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1356971933465.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	1737054Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00016.jpg
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1737055Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00013.jpg
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	1737056Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00017.jpg
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1737057Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00019.jpg
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1737058Click image for larger version

Name:	1356971813770.jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1737059
    Dave Hugo
    Duncan, SC
    sigpic 1959 Silver Hawk 1955 President

That is a beautiful car and, cosmetically speaking, needs only a little attention in order to arrest deterioration, in order to be an excellent driver. Not sure what your standards or goals are, but here, you will find tons of info on cosmetic and restoration to whatever your standards may be.

Welcome !

Comment

I would.... if I didn't NEED another Hawk! Looks like fairly easy fixes from pics, at least. The rust through next to the trunk is not a usual place for rust but shouldn't be a problem to repair. A little practice and the right equipment could make this a very nice driver.

Comment

Thank you Oregon. I am originally from Oregon, born and raised (Coos Bay / Sauvie Island ) - not necessarily ever grew up tho. I have cutting tools, compressor and welder just never jumped into finish body work. Thanks for the input.
        Dave Hugo
        Duncan, SC

Comment

Are you sure it's a 259 and not a 289?
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

The '64 GT is one of the best Studebaker ever built and this one certainly deserves to be saved.

Having said that, as much as I love them, from your description, even if someone gave you the car, you could buy a fully restored car for less than the cost of the body and paint to make that one as good.

Not sure what your standards or goals are . . .

A little practice and the right equipment could make this a very nice driver.
            As mentioned, it's doubtful there's a better unrestored GT for less money, so $2500 is a steal.

Has some rot on frt quarters just in front of door hinge area and bubbling other sites- rust thru hole rr upper next to truck lid. Trunk has swiss cheese rust.
            Having been there and done that, I'm guessing that if the rust wasn't really worrying duncan1951, he'd be telling us what a great find he bought. IF Duncan can live with just patching the rust, the 259" with overdrive would be a great driver. If a full restoration would be in the plan, buy one with the original 289" already done.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

I agree with Jack. Save a bit more and buy a better turn key specimine if you want a nice car. Will cost you less in the long run.
              sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

looks good buy it, is it in SC
                Mark Riesch
                New Bern, NC

Comment

I'm confused..... Didn't we see this thread last week? Yet all the posts are marked "Today". (start Twilight Zone theme)
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was told it was a 259 - no mention of it not being original motor - I am unsure
                    Dave Hugo
                    Duncan, SC

Comment

Yes car is in SC
                      Dave Hugo
                      Duncan, SC

Comment

All domestic GT Hawks came equipped with a 289. If it's the original engine it's a 289 not a 259.

Joe

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
                        I was told it was a 259 - no mention of it not being original motor - I am unsure
                        sigpic

1962 Daytona
                        1964 Cruiser
                        And a few others

Comment

I know this is politically incorrect and I apologize for asking in advance. If I puchase this car, do a little clean up, replace trunk floor, maybe a tune up and overall safety inspection and make sure everything works i.e. lights / gauges etc., leave the tires as is (just holding car up, not reccomended for road worthiness) - then decide to flip it on ebay how much could I expect to get for it? Again I apologize fot this question but I am a long time street rod guy (chevy, hudson, ford, lincoln...) I don't want to butcher the car but I also appreciate that it needs saving, just maybe not by me.

Dave
                          Dave Hugo
                          Duncan, SC

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            I'm confused..... Didn't we see this thread last week? Yet all the posts are marked "Today". (start Twilight Zone theme)
                            Mr. K: he "posted" this in another's "thread". i suggested to him (as it was his first post), to start a new thread for more responses.

Dave, if the Hawk runs, drives, stops and the frame, etc. underneath is in one piece, i'd probably purchase it in your situation.

if you can get the VIN#, the body# (on the firewall) and the engine#, the folks here can tell you exactly what you have - compared to what it came with from the factory (especially since there's a question re: the engine).

good luck!
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan1951 View Post
                              I know this is politically incorrect and I apologize for asking in advance. If I puchase this car, do a little clean up, replace trunk floor, maybe a tune up and overall safety inspection and make sure everything works i.e. lights / gauges etc., leave the tires as is (just holding car up, not reccomended for road worthiness) - then decide to flip it on ebay how much could I expect to get for it? Again I apologize fot this question but I am a long time street rod guy (chevy, hudson, ford, lincoln...) I don't want to butcher the car but I also appreciate that it needs saving, just maybe not by me.
                              The ideal time to sell it would be in Spring. Potential purchasers are more motivated when 'old car' season starts.

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X