Antique plates in nc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique plates in nc

can any one tell me, can i put a 1963 NC plate on my '63 stude, legally. I tried the DMV site no info, go figure
    Mark Riesch
    New Bern, NC

Mark,

Most states will allow you to put vintage tags (either restored plates, or unused/unissued plates) on an antique vehicle. You will have to talk to your DMV to ensure your state is one that allows this.
    Bo

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
      can any one tell me, can i put a 1963 NC plate on my '63 stude, legally. I tried the DMV site no info, go figure
      In NC......You will need to have an "official" (legal) plate with You ....Registered to Your car......Then You can run a "year of make" tag
      sigpic
      1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
      Lewisville,NC

Comment

Originally posted by TXmark View Post
        As Ken stated you can run a year of manufacture tag on your car, but you have to have the up-t0-date tag that was issued by DMV with you in the car. The statute allowing this is G.S. 20-63(d). It is a good idea to carry a copy of this statute with you in the car you drive with YOM tags on it. (Ask Jamie about this one!) The full text of the statute can be seen at this link: http://www.garbee.net/~cabell/oldtag.htm

There are also Antique tags that you can get for any vehicle 35 years old or older. These look sort of like a standard tag and must be renewed each year. These tags, buy state law, make it so your antique car cannot be taxed at a value over $500 each year. Different counties handle that tax part of this in a different manner so you will have to contact your county tax department to get that part straight. The tags themselves are available at your local DMV license plate place. These tags cost a bit more, but the price is made up for in the lower tax rate. Also if you have antique tags your car cannot be used for business or everyday transportation. How the state would know these things I do not know. You can still run your 1963 tag with the antique tag. Just keep the antique tag with you in the car. If your local DMV agency is not familiar with this let me know and I will try to track down a copy of the statute.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

thank you prez. joe and others
          Mark Riesch
          New Bern, NC

Comment

a little late to the party, but if you need a '63 plate, here's a few:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
            X