No announcement yet.

Studebaker and the Memphis Belle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw "Sentimental Journey" at Indianapolis - Eagle Creek airport about 20 years ago, and it had a couple of Studebaker-made engines then.
    Mark L

Comment

Likewise the EAA's "Aluminum overcast". Two or Three stude engines last time I saw it.

With all due respect to Col. Morgan...he may have just been playing the snob.
      If you didn't have a Studebaker car, I could see how one might be prejudiced against the Stude-made engines based on the name alone.
      After all...if your life depended on the engines....would you rather have them made by a famous aircraft motor company (the outfit that made Lindbergh's Wright J-5) or a small (compared to Ford, GM and Chrysler) car company?

Let's play make-belive for a minute...if I was a B-1B pilot and had the choice of 4 jets made by either GE (the designer) or Chevy...I'd go with GE. I'm not a Chevy fan.
      Last edited by JBOYLE; 12-29-2012, 05:15 PM.
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
        I think a lot of parts were supplied to Studebaker by Curtiss Wright, but not all. I believe that just about everything that needed to be machined or finished machine work was done by Studebaker; however I'm not sure if rough castings were done by Studebaker or CW. When the Chippewa Plant was built the entire basement was intended to be just a giant machine shop while the upper level was the assembly floor. The factory movie "Answer to the Axis" shows all this stuff in detail.
        What 'entire basement'???

I worked in that former Studebaker Aviation Plant for nearly 20 years and explored pretty much every inch of it. The only what could be called a 'basement' is under the Test Cells on the north end. However, AM General did use that 'basement' to weld together and then machine control arms for the M151 "Jeeps" we were building throughout the 70's.

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
          What 'entire basement'???

I worked in that former Studebaker Aviation Plant for nearly 20 years and explored pretty much every inch of it. The only what could be called a 'basement' is under the Test Cells on the north end. However, AM General did use that 'basement' to weld together and then machine control arms for the M151 "Jeeps" we were building throughout the 70's.
          Well, yeah. I know the plant does not have a "complete" basement but for what it was in Studebaker's time, it was a machine shop. Nothing goes on down there now. The loading docks are still there but the outside access stair wells have been filled in with gravel. The other access points in the test cell hall are still there.

Jim, was there a tunnel there at one time that connected the basement/aviation to plant 8?
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            I wonder how many of those engine changes were due to flak or errors on the part of the pilot/crew?
            I'm sure the only 'changes' the pilot and crew made concerned their underwear!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
              >>>Jim, was there a tunnel there at one time that connected the basement/aviation to plant 8?
              Yes there was.

That tunnel ran the 200 or so yards from the far northeast corner of the Aviation Plant to the southwest corner of Plant 8. It was similar in size to those you'll find under the Aviation Plant and like those tunnels; its purpose was to run steam pipes, electrical cables, etc.

Comment

The B-17 at Boeing Field in Seattle has at least one Studebaker radial in it. The one at the museum between Omaha and Lincoln does not.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  I'm sure the only 'changes' the pilot and crew made concerned their underwear!!!!
                  My comment went so far over your head- I think it may have set an altitude record!!!!

The point I was trying to make is this--
                  I wanna know how many engines were changed due to damage by the crew or flak. A number that high may very well have been because of stuff other then the engines themselves. Anyone who has ever maintained an aircraft would know that there are many many reasons to change an engine. They'd also know that in most cases- the pilots and crew don't do the maintenance and as such don't usually treat their aircraft very well. They aren't the ones who have to fix them if they break.
                  Nor would the folks shooting at the BIG BAD B-17s...

but that is a completly different topic for another day and Forum.

StudeDave '57
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

To: Stude Dave,-----COME ON WILL YOU??? That was a JOKE Dave. Can You say J-O-K-E?????? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz!!

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
                      The B-17 at Boeing Field in Seattle has at least one Studebaker radial in it.
                      I'll have to get down there before that one rots away...

http://warbirdinformationexchange.or...it=seattle+mof

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

To: Stude Dave,-----COME ON WILL YOU??? That was a JOKE Dave. Can You say J-O-K-E?????? Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz!!
                        There are a few things I rarely joke about- one of them is aviation maintenance.

I was not joking- I was asking a serious question.

StudeDave '57
                        StudeDave '57
                        US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                        San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

To: StudeDave57,--- Oh!..I get it now....You probably work/worked for Boeing......A relative of Mine works for them now....He helped design the new 'composite' wing for the new 777 (?) airplane.

Comment

To: StudeDave57,--- Oh!..I get it now....You probably work/worked for Boeing......
                            Nope- Dad worked for the 'Lazy B' not me. yet.
                            However I did spend 20 years in the NAVY.
                            About 19 of those years saw me being the guy fixing broke birds...

StudeDave '57
                            StudeDave '57
                            US Navy (retired)

SDC Member since 1985

past President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                            San Diego Chapter SDC

Comment

To: StudeDave57,------I complement You for Your Military Service!!

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                                Likewise the EAA's "Aluminum overcast". Two or Three stude engines last time I saw it.

With all due respect to Col. Morgan...he may have just been playing the snob.
                                If you didn't have a Studebaker car, I could see how one might be prejudiced against the Stude-made engines based on the name alone.
                                After all...if your life depended on the engines....would you rather have them made by a famous aircraft motor company (the outfit that made Lindbergh's Wright J-5) or a small (compared to Ford, GM and Chrysler) car company?

Let's play make-belive for a minute...if I was a B-1B pilot and had the choice of 4 jets made by either GE (the designer) or Chevy...I'd go with GE. I'm not a Chevy fan.
                                I was gonna chime in on this a while back but forgot. I flew on the Aluminum Overcast in 2001, but, sad to say, it is no more.

http://www.standard.net/topics/plane...ashes-illinois
                                sigpic
                                Claude Chmielewski
                                Studeski
                                http://www.studeski.com
                                Fillmore, Wisconsin
                                47 M-16 Truck
                                53 2R5
                                60 Lark VIII Convertible
                                60 5E7 Champ pickup
                                62 GT Hawk 4 speed
                                63 Lark
                                63 GT Hawk R2 4 speed