Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Bend Visit

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • South Bend Visit

    I'm going to South Bend this coming May to visit the museum and to watch the Indy 500.

    Having never been in that part of the country or familiar with what to see and do, Studebaker wise and other touristy stuff, so I was hoping some of the forum members could point me in the right direction as to where to stay and what to see. I will be over that way for about a week and want to see as many Studebaker related things as possible as I may never get to go there again. Any Studebaker events happening? May 23rd to the 31st.

    Also down in Indianapolis where is a good/safe place to stay as my wife is always concerned as to what area we go or stay?

    Thanks in advance for any help, Len.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
    I'm going to South Bend this coming May to visit the museum and to watch the Indy 500.

    Having never been in that part of the country or familiar with what to see and do, Studebaker wise and other touristy stuff, so I was hoping some of the forum members could point me in the right direction as to where to stay and what to see. I will be over that way for about a week and want to see as many Studebaker related things as possible as I may never get to go there again. Any Studebaker events happening? May 23rd to the 31st.

    Also down in Indianapolis where is a good/safe place to stay as my wife is always concerned as to what area we go or stay?

    Thanks in advance for any help, Len.
    If you're a senior then you can get great rates at a Choice Hotel property. We generally use their Comfort Inn on North Main Street in Mishawaka. You're close to shopping at University Mall. Also within walking distance of the Mall is a nice Fairfield Inn and also a good Hampton Inn. All safe. This area is close to the Indiana Toll Road. The Museum is about a 10 minute drive. Don't forget Ed Reynolds' Studebaker International on Chippewa at the south end of town. If you contact Andy Beckman at the Museum he can provide you with a walking/driving tour of South Bend's historical places, many originally were Studebaker properties. You should have dinner at Tippecanoe which is Clement Studebaker's homestead. South Bend has a very good zoo. Hope this helps.
    Stu Chapman

    Comment


    • #3
      Len, if you are planning to stay in the Indianapolis area during the last week of May, you need to be making reservations immediately, and expect to pay a premium since that is Indianapolis 500 Race Week.

      I'm not sure what might be left, but our little town of Brownsburg is immediately NW of the Speedway out I-74 at Exit 66. Either the Holiday Inn Express or Comfort Suites are convenient, safe, and pleasant.

      Also check out the many properties SW of Indianapolis in Plainfield at the SR267 and I-70 exit. If they are all full, you may have to go to Crawfordsville, which is another 33 miles west on I-74 from Browsnburg. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

      Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

      G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

      Comment


      • #4
        If you are Internet savy, check out TripAdvisor.com. I travel a bit and find it a useful site for selecting restaurants and tourist attractions. The site features feedback from users and pictures are always helpful. Have a great time!
        '57 Silver Hawk
        '57 Golden Hawk
        '51 Champion

        Comment


        • #5
          South Bend - Inn at St. Mary's (stayed there this year and it is head and shoulders above any other motel that I have stayed in in SB)
          Indy - Speedway Motel (I have stayed there - you probably won't be able to get in there).
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

          SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

          Comment


          • #6
            If you call ahead, somebody at the Studebaker Museum might be able to walk you through the Archives building next door, too. Amazing stuff they have.

            The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is in Auburn, maybe a couple hours east/south of South Bend. It is in their old headquarters building, which is an awesome Art Deco building. The place really defies description.

            If you like Amish food and Amish stuff, Shipshewana, between Auburn and South Bend, is a neat place. We like the Blue Gate restaurant there. I'm told there is a Hudson Museum there too although I've not seen it.
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by studegary View Post
              South Bend - Inn at St. Mary's (stayed there this year and it is head and shoulders above any other motel that I have stayed in in SB)
              Indy - Speedway Motel (I have stayed there - you probably won't be able to get in there).
              Agreed on Inn at St. Mary's, Gary; best place I've ever stayed in South Bend, and I'll bet I've stayed in a dozen different ones.

              However, if Len is considering The Speedway Motel, he'll have to bring a tent and pitch it on the open parking lot :

              http://patbremer.wordpress.com/2009/...tel-1963-2009/

              BP

              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

              Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

              G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                The Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg Museum is in Auburn, maybe a couple hours east/south of South Bend. It is in their old headquarters building, which is an awesome Art Deco building. The place really defies description.

                If you like Amish food and Amish stuff, Shipshewana, between Auburn and South Bend, is a neat place. We like the Blue Gate restaurant there. I'm told there is a Hudson Museum there too although I've not seen it.
                Right-O on The ACD Museum, and don't miss NATMUS (National Auto and Truck Museum of The United States), right on the same grounds as the ACD Museum. Park once, see two places.

                The Hostetler Hudson Museum in Shipshewana is in the community's new civic center south of town. The center is struggling financially. It's still there, but with limited hours of operation. Be sure to check the Shipshewana tourist website to be sure you get there when it is open. Well worth the time, as Craig Parslow attests with all the photos he posts here on the forum that were taken there!

                The Blue Gate is an excellent restaurant, too, as Bill says. (But I'd never take exception to any eatery passing Bill Pressler Hometown Culinary Award standards; that man can eat!) BP

                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

                Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

                G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I agree with BP completely on the Hudson Museum. Toward the end of the SDC Int. Meet this past summer, we took the opportunity to visit the museum. Well worth it! Lots of fine cars.

                  Dan Miller
                  Auburn, GA

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    As for Studebaker in the South Bend area, aside from the museum there is the remaning parts of the factory and the entire Chippewa Plant complex now home to Studebaker International. You also need to check out the Proving Ground (now Bendix Woods county park.)
                    Chris Dresbach

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Regarding Bendix Woods, if you take Western Ave. west out of South Bend, it becomes Indiana 2. Bendix Woods is about 15 or 20 minutes west of town on the left. Just before you get to the county road that leads to the entrance, you'll see the old proving grounds on the left (south), now operated by Robert Bosch corporation.
                      Mark L

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Thanks Guys, I have already booked my stay in Indianapolis and will be doing the same for South bend this week. Lots of things to do in and around South Bend, Studebaker wise, so I will be there for about three or four days. Will be checking out Bendix Woods for sure and all the remaining Studebaker buildings. Studebaker International is also on the list of must do's.

                        A few of the other car museums will be visited if time permits.

                        Keep'em coming, Len.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I almost forgot about Tippecanoe Place, the Studebaker mansion, which is literally around the corner and up the street from the SNM.
                          Chris Dresbach

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks Chris but Stu Chapman already mentioned Tippecanoe and I will be going there for sure. Thanks anyway, Len.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                              Thanks Chris but Stu Chapman already mentioned Tippecanoe and I will be going there for sure. Thanks anyway, Len.
                              BUT ...I'll bet he didn't mention these "Tips about Tippe" ...

                              On certain days the 'tip' will be INCLUDED in your bill, others it will not!!

                              They are closed Mondays!!!

                              Subscribe to Tippe's Email Club here:
                              http://tippecanoeplacerestaurant.fbm...tion=Subscribe


                              Also, go over to the SDC "South Bend 2012 Meet Forum" and search out certain threads regarding ideas/info about visiting South Bend.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X