'64 Super Hawk progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '64 Super Hawk progress

The '64 R1 Hawk that I recently bought is getting a soak job currently. I've filled the cylinders with diesel fuel and left the stuff to penetrate and leak thru. I've ordered some gaskets for it and hope to get the heads and other stuff back on in the weeks to come.
    My aim is to get it to where it'll go and stop - tho not in roadworthy fashion. I just want it to be self-motivating for ease of loading and transport. Once that threshold's been reached, it's gonna go to ebay in hopes of finding a loving home and future.

I gotta say, while I'm not usually a Hawk kinda guy, this thing has started to call to me. A couple of mornings I've gone out to get the paper and the Hawk was sitting wet from an overnight drizzle. It's looking too good! It's gotta go before I get some stupid notion I could do something with it - which I can't. Heck, I can't finish what I've got already.

I did find the engraved glovebox tag saying: Gran Turismo Hawk built expressly for Guy H. Campbell. According to the PO, the car was sold new in Porterville, CA. Then the PO's mom bought the car off a Porterville used car lot in '67. I imagine a production order might give credence to these points, but since I'm not going to keep the car I'll let it's next owner invest in it's history.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Ya Bob I can hear the 64 calling to you when you go get the paper and it keeps saying green backs, green backs, flipper, flipper, but to each his own, ya finish what you have started or at least drive the convert now and then.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Comment

Of all the Studes for which I'd try desperately to find room, a '64 R1 GT would be in the top five. It may be the ne plus ultra of the Lowey/Burke/Stevens synergy. I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking at one or driving one.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Bob, I've lost track of the engine situation in this car. Were the threads pulled out of one head bolt hole or ??? I remember your describing some reason it was left dismantled, and wondered how you were doing with that "issue." BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Yep, me too. If I found one like that in good shape with a decent deck Lid for cheap, I would not be able to let it go.

These are Studebaker's crowning achievement of ALL when it comes to a great driving car, they are also the best of the '53 to '64 C & K line of cars. When it comes to STYLING, the '54 Starliner has a slight edge, but not for driveability.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Guy Campbell....probably Glenn Campbell's uncle.
            sigpic
            In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Indeed, I did procure this Hawk on porpoise - that is, as a Flipper. I would LOVE to keep it - massage it - drive it across the country, taking only two-lanes as I go. But not having a fat-paying govt. job to have retired from, I'm still grabbing for the odd buck that shows itself now and then.
              I've revived (restored, if you will) about 5 or 6 Studes thru the years. CASO enough to start with derelict examples and deluding myself into thinking I was being savvy in doing so. Add to that that the majority of them were models that I knew would never pay back what they soaked up.
              There've been years I spent many off hours pulling and selling Stude parts out of wrecking yards - I shamefully admit, I did it cause there was a profit motive. The fact that I had a good idea of what was rare and desirable off of Studes ( a talent only gained by dealing in parts for years) helped me to not save stuff that would still be with me some 20-some years later. Had I seen no profit motive in this Hawk, it wouldn't be in my driveway. In fact, I only learned of this car because the fella that told me about it had decided he wasn't up to doing what it would take to put it back on it's feet. And there's a sort of irony to that point...

About 10 years ago, I found a '64 Hawk sitting forelorn and forgotton. It was just about the MOST optioned GT Hawk I'd ever seen - shy of being a Super Hawk. It was in nicer overall shape than this one I just bought - and I just now recalled that it was for sale for just about the same money. Anyway, I knew this fella (the one who told me of this latest Hawk) had the hots for a '64 Hawk. So I put him onto it. Heck, I even provided truck and trailer to take it to his house!
              Well, I don't say what I'm about to with ANY intent of it reflecting badly on him 'cause I've done such things myself thru the years - but he didn't do anything with that Hawk. In fact, what he did do had really detrimental results. In fact, the next time I was that car, my heart sank. But it was HIS car and HIS choice to treat it like that.
              Anyway, over lunch on the day we went to look at this Super Hawk, we laughed at the irony of me having led HIM to a '64 Hawk for sale and he returning the favor some ten or so years later. He doesn't know nor expect it, but I plan to give him a finders fee if I can move this thing for a profit of note.
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Do you have pictures of the Super Hawk? I would love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by evilhawk View Post
                  Do you have pictures of the Super Hawk? I would love to see it.
                  He posted LOTS here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Now-with-PICS!!!

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                    Indeed, I did procure this Hawk on porpoise - that is, as a Flipper. I would LOVE to keep it - massage it - drive it across the country, taking only two-lanes as I go. But not having a fat-paying govt. job to have retired from, I'm still grabbing for the odd buck that shows itself now and then.
                    I've revived (restored, if you will) about 5 or 6 Studes thru the years. CASO enough to start with derelict examples and deluding myself into thinking I was being savvy in doing so. Add to that that the majority of them were models that I knew would never pay back what they soaked up.
                    There've been years I spent many off hours pulling and selling Stude parts out of wrecking yards - I shamefully admit, I did it cause there was a profit motive. The fact that I had a good idea of what was rare and desirable off of Studes ( a talent only gained by dealing in parts for years) helped me to not save stuff that would still be with me some 20-some years later. Had I seen no profit motive in this Hawk, it wouldn't be in my driveway. In fact, I only learned of this car because the fella that told me about it had decided he wasn't up to doing what it would take to put it back on it's feet. And there's a sort of irony to that point...

About 10 years ago, I found a '64 Hawk sitting forelorn and forgotton. It was just about the MOST optioned GT Hawk I'd ever seen - shy of being a Super Hawk. It was in nicer overall shape than this one I just bought - and I just now recalled that it was for sale for just about the same money. Anyway, I knew this fella (the one who told me of this latest Hawk) had the hots for a '64 Hawk. So I put him onto it. Heck, I even provided truck and trailer to take it to his house!
                    Well, I don't say what I'm about to with ANY intent of it reflecting badly on him 'cause I've done such things myself thru the years - but he didn't do anything with that Hawk. In fact, what he did do had really detrimental results. In fact, the next time I was that car, my heart sank. But it was HIS car and HIS choice to treat it like that.
                    Anyway, over lunch on the day we went to look at this Super Hawk, we laughed at the irony of me having led HIM to a '64 Hawk for sale and he returning the favor some ten or so years later. He doesn't know nor expect it, but I plan to give him a finders fee if I can move this thing for a profit of note.
                    Bob if I remember right I ended up with at hawk along with some others of his, I have had so many just can't remember every one, but I think I did end up with it AM?FM radio and all.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Thats correct.

Comment

Well, yesterday I cut and ripped all the old carpeting out of 64V-1212. The ragged remnants weren't worth saving and were holding moisture - not a good thing for steel floorboards. There was/is rust ON the usual places with these floors, but none of it has rotted thru. There's even areas where the Bermuda Brown still carries a bit of shine! Next step will be to go at the interior with the shop vac.
                        The original interior is largely intact (save for the carpets, of course!). There's an odd tear on the side of the drives seat back, but that's about it. Still, after having just set since '71, the seat covers are really stiff stuff. The headliner's clean and intact - save for the rearmost seam which has let go. The car's rubber parts have hardened with years of idleness.
                        I was highly suspect of the trunk seals worth when I first looked at the car. Even after I got it home, I was almost afraid to inspect it. Thing is, I knew it was more evil than beneficiary - it's cracked and deformed lenghts inviting rust more than preventing it. Inspecting it yesterday, I quickly realized it was just basically sitting in the channel it resides in. The only place any glue still held was along the upper edge - below the rear window. The loose areas hid rust and I eventually found two spots in that channel that were rotted thru. THIS had to be where water had gotten in to make the hole in the trunk floor!
                        The car had varying degrees of "protection" since some engine work had disabled it in 1971. For ten or fifteen years, it was afforded a dry spot inside a nice, dry shop. When the owner died, the car got evicted from dry storage and went thru some years with no cover or coverage with cheap Harbor Freight tarps. Of course, those "tarps" are waterproof for a year at best - at least here in this valley anyway. The extreme heat of our summers renders these tarps as dust covers at best - wind-driven sandpaper at worst! (Ask me how I know) Tarps, high temperatures and an aging vinyl roof conspired to do not so nice things to this Hawk. That so much of it is in good, solid shape is a bit amazing to me. Not that I was hoping for worse, mind you. I've looked at, and hauled home, a number of unrestored Hawks thru the years. Save for the spots of rust in the trunk area and the line of holy oxide where the one edge of the vinyl roof gave out (possibly exacerbated by a damned tarp!), this thing is amazingly straight and solid. Of course, I have to remind myself that it was parked when it was only seven years old.
                        The side windows are cranky (or UN-cranky as it were), and I may or may not address them to prep it for sale. I don't know what I'm gonna do about the AFB. Certainly it'll want some freshening if I expect it to cooperate. I have thought about using a WW on the car just to make it easier and cheaper to get it going.
                        I've been cleaning and polishing some of the brightwork as I go. Most of it seems to be in really nice - to - great shape. Of course, I'm NOT restoring the car - just trying to bring it out of a Rip Van Winkle session. It's been sleeping for 41 years so far!

BTW.... I found no PO green copy under/in the rear seat cushion. Has anyone ever found such in the rear seat back? I'd sure like to find a copy (without paying for one, of course). I DID find a gas station credit slip from a Shell dealer. It showed the sale of 9.8 gallons of Super Shell gasoline for the sum of $4.00. A quart of oil was .75 cents!

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                          BTW.... I found no PO green copy under/in the rear seat cushion. Has anyone ever found such in the rear seat back? I'd sure like to find a copy (without paying for one, of course).
                          Try the topside of the glove compartment. I've heard of them there laying there before.

Craig

Comment

I'll look there, Craig. Thanks. The crumbled remains of the paint code tag are in the glove box.

Comment

OK, here's why I've not posted anything on this beast in awhile. Virtually nothing's been done to it. And WHY that's the case is a result of my trying to get it re-registered and generate a new title as a result.

It was the first week of February when I finally convinced myself to take action towards getting the car titled - said title being lost thru the years. The kind gal at the DMV seemed helpful enough until she'd started tapping the Hawks serial number into the state "system". That's when she said: "There's a bit of a problem here." Problem? What problem?????
                              "Well sir, it looks as tho someone started to re-title this car in 2002. But then, even tho they'd paid the fees to initiate things - they never followed thru."

"Great! Now what? Uh - who was it that tried to do this?"

"Sir, I can't divuldge that information to you."

So, as you might imagine, I was on the phone to the PO in a heartbeat. I wanted to know how it was that he could have assured me repeatedly that there were no liens or other holds against the Hawk - only to have the state computers barf up this revoltin' development. Naturally, he professed to be as stymied as I was irked. He called me back the next day to allow as how his nephew (who'd had physical custody of the car for a few years) had started the revival of the Hawk's legal status, but then lost enthusiasm. I'm thinking when he found out he'd have to haul the inanimate Hawk to a local DMV or CHP office to have the serial# verified, that may have knocked the wind out of his sails. I don't know.
                              Anyway, I was told that nephew would send me a letter explaining things so I could press on. Right. I countered that nephew was gonna have to walk in to a CA DMV in person to set things right - not get off with a simple letter to me. That was a month ago.
                              I have had one conversation with the seller since then. One where he allowed as how said nephew is a prison guard with odd hours that make it un-handy for him to get to a DMV office. And today - my thinking that I'd been more than patient for an update - I learned that nephew's daughter had a big wedding this weekend, and that all the folderal before and after that event is what's kept the Hawk's dilemma from being addressed. But I've been assured that this will be front burner from here on out.

There's been several times I've wanted to get to work on the car and get it running again. But each time I remind myself that I'd be a fool to fix a car that could end up being parted out - or tendered for a refund (which I do not want to do). So - that's what's up with 64V-1212 for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X