Info on studebaker seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on studebaker seats

On the Studebaker seats (and maybe other manufactures during 1950's-60's), just above the seat springs but below the cotton backing, a burlap fabric was used interwoven with wire. Does anyone know where this can be purchased or what alternative material could be used? Thanks

If you still have the old wires, it's not too bad to move them to a new piece of burlap. Most upholstery supply places carry the burlap and cotton batting. MSC Direct carries cut and straightened music wire in a variety of diameters.

Here's how I did the seat in my M5 truck: http://www.studegarage.com/upholstery.htm

Gary Ash
    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
    '48 M5
    '65 Wagonaire Commander
    '63 Wagonaire Standard
    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

burlap fabric can be purchased from some greenhouse or nursery supply places. Also most upholstrey shops have it available for a little higher price.

Comment

An old upholstery trick is to hog ring an old carpet over the springs, under the padding. It stiffens the whole seat and stabilizes it.
        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

The closest match I can think of to that material would be to find a couple old bags used for potatoes. Same material and basically the same color.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Our potatoes in the store now come in paper or plastic 50 lb bags & they are a lot heavier than the 100 pound bags were back in the '60's when I worked in a Red Owl grocery store in Minnesota!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Santa Stude.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	1676396

Comment

Its called hessian cloth. Its available at fabric stores and online.
              sigpic
              '89 Ford Festiva
              '90 Ford F250 4x4
              '18 Kia Soul
              '64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk
              '66 International Harvester pickup

Comment

Working...
              X