No announcement yet.

2-Dr V8 Frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So it would be beneficial to find a Daytona frame for the Commander. Would any 'J' body frame between 59-64 work, or do I need something closer to '64.
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

I believe the '62 and '63 Larks have longer frame front ends to accommodate the longer (deeper) front Panels, also the rear body sections got longer in '62 with the enlarged Trunks. I would stick to '62-'64 with a preference for '64 J or L Bodies.

I have a '61 "L" Convertible Frame, but it would take some mods for a '64 and it needs to go to someone on the West Coast because of the distance.
      Last edited by StudeRich; 12-23-2012, 05:25 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

To: StudeRich,---If You mean the frame 'horns' (ahead of the front suspension mounting crossmember), pretty sure they are all the same from, say, '53 up.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          To: StudeRich,---If You mean the frame 'horns' (ahead of the front suspension mounting crossmember), pretty sure they are all the same from, say, '53 up.
          Yes Frame Rails or "Horns". That MIGHT be possible, but there is no way the bumper and Radiator saddle holes will match. Still the '61 to '62 rear frame rails are way different.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

To answer your question,I run an R-3 powershift in a Challenger that was a 6 banger.I wouldn't hesitate to use the lighter frame.It works for me!
            Steve
            36 Dictator cpe
            36 ST.regis custom 2dr sedan R-2
            37 Coupe express R-2
            50 Champion convert
            54 champion cpe
            59 3/4 p/up 4wd
            63 Custom R-2
            63 GT hawk R-2 Motor Trend Hawk/Chicago Show Car
            63 Avanti R-2
            63 Avant1 R-2
            64 Commander R-1
            64 Challenger R-3
            58 Packard hawk
            64 Champ
            2-63 Wagonaire's
            62 E40 Transtar
            55 3/4 T pickup
            64 Daytona
            Brand X :
            70 Duster 340,56 Chevy Del Ray,49 Jeepster,58 Plymouth Belvedere,67 IH Travelall,58 IH Golden Anniversary

http://www.studebakersteve.com

Comment

Originally posted by rockinhawk View Post
              If they used up all the left over frames in the 70s, What's under my 81? Did they build new Lark frames?
              They had a run of new frame rails made sometime in the 70's, The left-overs were sold in the big parts deal that happened in 87. You can still see them for sale at times on ebay by the current owner.
              JS
              I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

A few years ago I put a 62 frame under a 66. The 66 was a 2door sedan. The 62 was a hardtop. The only difference was one mount on the hardtop frame was not used. All the rest were exactly the same, and a perfect fit.
                1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Hmmm. I have cowl and hinge pillar rust. Fix the rust before lifting the body? What areas on the frame are susceptible to cracking.
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Working...
                  X