Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Gift from B-I-L: 1928 President Brochure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Christmas Gift from B-I-L: 1928 President Brochure

    Way cool!

    My wife's older brother is a bit of a car nut, ever so gradually restoring his 1969 Impala convertible. He was at a general auction earlier this year and bought a box of literature that contained this Studebaker Brochure, dated 12/27.

    He saved it for my Christmas present, which was received today when we were in Ohio for wife's side of the family Christmas:



    It's thoroughly complete but a little soiled, but I figure in doggone good shape for being 85 years old!

    I was surprised at two items in the brochure:

    1. The crankshaft, "is very rigid, owing to the short-stroke design." (Which happens to be 4 3/8"!)

    2.Only four models were offered; all sedans of either 5 or 7 passengers, "regular" or State. No open cars!

    (Now I suppose Dick Quinn is going to tell me there are thousands of these out there and they rarely go for more than a dollar on e-bay!) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-22-2012, 03:58 PM. Reason: spelling
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

    Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

    G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

  • #2
    Well...this one is yours! It was presented to you by someone who thought enough of you to save it and present it to you.

    That alone gives this one a special value all its own. Cherish and enjoy.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

    SDC member since 1975

    Comment


    • #3
      I have two, one U.S. and a second Canadian version. Both of course in much better condition than yours ....but I agree with the previous post! This was the first catalog for the Eight cylinder President (model FA). At first they were all closed cars. Later a shorter 121" w.b. version of the President designated the FB was introduced and it came in a roadster and Victoria bodies.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

      Comment


      • #4
        Very nice Bob, and very thoughtful of your B-I-L.

        This reminds me..my dealer friend loaned me the March 1932 issue of "The Wheel". I just love looking through it and it is in good shape, minor soiling on the front (white) cover. His daughter in Oregon got it somewhere from somebody who found it in the attic of a house. The dealer's name on the back is "John K. Leander, Incorporated, Broadway 5566, Broadway at Everett, Portland, Oregon".

        Richard Q., I imagine you have this but is it comparatively rare, or not?

        Thanks.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
          Very nice Bob, and very thoughtful of your B-I-L.

          This reminds me..my dealer friend loaned me the March 1932 issue of "The Wheel". I just love looking through it and it is in good shape, minor soiling on the front (white) cover. His daughter in Oregon got it somewhere from somebody who found it in the attic of a house. The dealer's name on the back is "John K. Leander, Incorporated, Broadway 5566, Broadway at Everett, Portland, Oregon". Richard Q., I imagine you have this but is it comparatively rare, or not?

          Thanks.
          Bill; Check my web site at:http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/st...aker_wheel.htm The 1932 and 1933 issues are the most colorful but also the most plentiful since by that time they were printing a million copies of each issue. You will see my complete set on the aforementioned site. A complete set of 117 issues just sold a few weeks ago for $1800. I sell them on ebay for prices averaging $20 to $40 each though some will bring more. I have one or two running now. Leander was the 2nd biggest dealer in the NW at that time (behind Sands in Seattle).
          Richard Quinn
          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

          Comment


          • #6
            Great website Richard, love that 1931 President Sedan (and the others) it's a really classy vehicle.
            John Clements
            Christchurch, New Zealand

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by avantilover View Post
              Great website Richard, love that 1931 President Sedan (and the others) it's a really classy vehicle.
              Actually my '31 President is a coupe as will be noted below.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	31 pres cpe rounded corners forum.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	1676388
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

              Comment


              • #8
                My humble apologies Richard, I had closed your site and guessed wrong. Still a lovely vehicle.
                John Clements
                Christchurch, New Zealand

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                  Bill; Check my web site at:http://www.thestudebakerwheel.com/st...aker_wheel.htm The 1932 and 1933 issues are the most colorful but also the most plentiful since by that time they were printing a million copies of each issue. You will see my complete set on the aforementioned site. A complete set of 117 issues just sold a few weeks ago for $1800. I sell them on ebay for prices averaging $20 to $40 each though some will bring more. I have one or two running now. Leander was the 2nd biggest dealer in the NW at that time (behind Sands in Seattle).
                  Thanks for the info, Richard. I'll pass the info onto my dealer friend, Ed Filer. BTW, your website is amazing and I thank you, too, for informing us here about it!
                  Bill Pressler
                  Kent, OH
                  (formerly Greenville, PA)
                  Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                  Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                  1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                  1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                  All are in Australia now

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X