X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Hi

The '42-'48 Buick Super and Roadmaster C-bodied four door sedans had a unique rear door and fenderskirt cutline. The division when all the way to the lip rather than a dogleg cut to make the wheel fully accessible when the skirt was removed. Simply opening the rear door a bit allowed that. It was a novel approach which must have flummoxed some Buick owners the first time they had to change a flat tire. Seems not to have affected their blockbuster postwar sales boon one iota.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Ya,what's with the drunk guy's Buick ? look at the rear door looks like it overlaps the rear tire "strange"
    Originally posted by 56H-Y6 View Post
    The motorist receiving directions is driving a '41 Lincoln Zephyr four door sedan, the ladies broken-down car is a '46 Buick Super or Roadmaster Sedanette and the intoxicated fellow was driving his '42 Buick Super or Roadmaster sedan

Steve

Leave a comment:

• 56H-Y6
    replied
    Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
    The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has there own FaceBook page and they now have posted three different shots of what appears to be a 1948 Business Coupe patrol car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19619[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19620[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19621[/ATTACH]
    The motorist receiving directions is driving a '41 Lincoln Zephyr four door sedan, the ladies broken-down car is a '46 Buick Super or Roadmaster Sedanette and the intoxicated fellow was driving his '42 Buick Super or Roadmaster sedan

Steve

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
    Joe, that's why Matt has [sic] in there.

[sic] indicates he knows the original is wrong, but has copied it ver batim from the original. BP

Sometimes I am blind as a bat....didn't even think about the "sic".

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    If they did not perform well it must be their fault, a 289 4 brl. with Overdrive and a TT 4.09 Rear Axle would be a bit better than a 170 OHV 6! Da!

And that '61 4 Door might have been a bit better if they hadn't wrecked the right front corner!

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Looks like chains on the rear tires,no high speed runs with them on I'm sure.
    Originally posted by Peanut View Post
    I found the following photo on baltimorecitypolicehistory.com.

The label in the lower left hand corner reads:
    "1960 [sic] Studebaker (Lark) - These vehicles proved quite innefective and were designated as Supervisor cars."

Not a ringing endorsement. It also tells me what they thought of their supervisors!

Leave a comment:

• 63t-cab
    replied
    Rich, I wo'nt swear to this but a CT. member once told me he managed to fit in "I'm pretty sure a T-85" in his Avanti after numorous guys said it could'nt be done.
    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
    This is an interesting Car Mike, does it have a H.D. 3 speed T-85 from the leftover '58 Goldenhawk warehouse stock?
    I always thought that they should have found a way to shoehorn those into the X framed Avanti 3 Speeds, but they just had the weak T-86's.

Leave a comment:

• BobPalma
    replied
    Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
    Cool picture, Matt, but isn't this a '61?
    Joe, that's why Matt has [sic] in there.

[sic] indicates he knows the original is wrong, but has copied it ver batim from the original. BP

Leave a comment:

• JRoberts
    replied
    Cool picture, Matt, but isn't this a '61?

Leave a comment:

• Peanut
    replied
    I found the following photo on baltimorecitypolicehistory.com.

The label in the lower left hand corner reads:
    "1960 [sic] Studebaker (Lark) - These vehicles proved quite innefective and were designated as Supervisor cars."

Not a ringing endorsement. It also tells me what they thought of their supervisors!

Leave a comment:

• mike cenit
    replied
    Thanks, I got it, this high tech stuff sometimes is a bit much for me, I guess that's why I'm a Studebaker guy...................

Leave a comment:

• StudeRich
    replied
    Hey Mike, just click on the "Private Messages" bar on the dark blue line at the top of the page when you are logged in, then on "send new message", you will figure it out.

Leave a comment:

• mike cenit
    replied
    Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
    Thanks for the update on that car, and its great to see it in good hands! Mike Jenkins would have been the owner of it when I took the photos of it. PM me with your address and I will send those 1983 photos.

Craig
    OK as soon as I figure out how to do the PM, I'm a bit new at this.

Leave a comment:

• 8E45E
    replied
    Thanks for the update on that car, and its great to see it in good hands! Mike Jenkins would have been the owner of it when I took the photos of it. PM me with your address and I will send those 1983 photos.

Craig
    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 1962larksedan
    replied
    Supposedly the LAPD ran a Lark type (probably a 1964 down R series) as part of its 'Freeway Flyer' program from ca. 1957-69. The typical unit was a big Olds or Pontiac sedan with the largest engine/AT available complete with special 'LAPD only' parts; they were us to patrol the freeways till 1969. Then the CHP took over jurisdiction fall of that year.

Re: 2 door state police/highway patrol cars:

1966 down Maryland SP
    1969 down Virginia SP
    1958 down CHP
    Early 1960's Nevada and Arizona HPs
    Etc.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X