Oklahoma HIghway Patrol Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
    This is because 'four speeds' were the 'in' thing.....a H.D. 3 speed option would have been seen at the time as a step in the wrong direction!
    Well you are right that is true, but I am just say-n, they DID build R1 Avantis with THREE speeds against the trend or not, so why T-86's?
    If they were used in R1 Police cars, that also was an even worse choice.

I know that a T-85 especially an O.D. version would be a very tight fit in a Car with an "X" Member, but Studebaker has done the "impossible" before!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 12-22-2012, 01:05 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
      That car also had an AM/FM radio. Is that still present in it?

As far as the stainless door tops, It could have been on the other doors as well. The only time I saw this car was in 1983.

Craig
      Still has same radio, a Mr. Terrance W. Stewart, a former WI Purchasing Agent, wrote a interesting story about WI patrol cars. He tells the story
      that they had a 63 R2 to test, and in 10/63 it was replaced with the 64 R1. They outfitted it with all the tropper gear and were getting ready to test it when the move to Canada was announced, because the state would not buy "foreign cars" Mr. Stewart tried to return it to the Chicago zone, but they were just about gone, finally the car was dropped off at Smart Motors in Madison, in time it ended up at Greenfield Motors in Milwaukee who painted black, added the AM/FM and big hub caps, and sold it to a lady in 1966, she sold it in 1969 to a Studebaker enthusiast from Malone, near Fond du Lac who stored it until 1979 when he sold it to Michael Jenkins, who sold it to me in 1988. When Michael Jenkins bought it there were 23,000 miles on it, today it has 29,000 miles, and still has the Firestone Highway Patrol spare tire. The car is in good shape, has new front fenders, and all the old stuff replaced (brakes, shocks, exhaust etc).It's a nice car, and Mr. Stewart reports trial runs were made with full police gear at 123 mph, I assume thats going straight, you wouldn't want to turn the wheel at that speed it might tip over.

Comment

Supposedly the LAPD ran a Lark type (probably a 1964 down R series) as part of its 'Freeway Flyer' program from ca. 1957-69. The typical unit was a big Olds or Pontiac sedan with the largest engine/AT available complete with special 'LAPD only' parts; they were us to patrol the freeways till 1969. Then the CHP took over jurisdiction fall of that year.

Re: 2 door state police/highway patrol cars:

1966 down Maryland SP
        1969 down Virginia SP
        1958 down CHP
        Early 1960's Nevada and Arizona HPs
        Etc.
        --------------------------------------

Sold my 1962; Studeless at the moment

Borrowed Bams50's sigline here:

"Do they all not, by mere virtue of having survived as relics of a bygone era, amass a level of respect perhaps not accorded to them when they were new?"

Comment

Thanks for the update on that car, and its great to see it in good hands! Mike Jenkins would have been the owner of it when I took the photos of it. PM me with your address and I will send those 1983 photos.

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 12-22-2012, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Thanks for the update on that car, and its great to see it in good hands! Mike Jenkins would have been the owner of it when I took the photos of it. PM me with your address and I will send those 1983 photos.

Craig
            OK as soon as I figure out how to do the PM, I'm a bit new at this.

Comment

Hey Mike, just click on the "Private Messages" bar on the dark blue line at the top of the page when you are logged in, then on "send new message", you will figure it out.
              StudeRich

Comment

Thanks, I got it, this high tech stuff sometimes is a bit much for me, I guess that's why I'm a Studebaker guy...................

Comment

I found the following photo on baltimorecitypolicehistory.com.

The label in the lower left hand corner reads:
                  "1960 [sic] Studebaker (Lark) - These vehicles proved quite innefective and were designated as Supervisor cars."

Not a ringing endorsement. It also tells me what they thought of their supervisors!
                  ~Matt Connor
                  '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Cool picture, Matt, but isn't this a '61?
                    Joe Roberts
                    '61 R1 Champ
                    '65 Cruiser
                    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                      Cool picture, Matt, but isn't this a '61?
                      Joe, that's why Matt has [sic] in there.

[sic] indicates he knows the original is wrong, but has copied it ver batim from the original. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Rich, I wo'nt swear to this but a CT. member once told me he managed to fit in "I'm pretty sure a T-85" in his Avanti after numorous guys said it could'nt be done.
                        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        This is an interesting Car Mike, does it have a H.D. 3 speed T-85 from the leftover '58 Goldenhawk warehouse stock?
                        I always thought that they should have found a way to shoehorn those into the X framed Avanti 3 Speeds, but they just had the weak T-86's.
                        Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Looks like chains on the rear tires,no high speed runs with them on I'm sure.
                          Originally posted by Peanut View Post
                          I found the following photo on baltimorecitypolicehistory.com.

The label in the lower left hand corner reads:
                          "1960 [sic] Studebaker (Lark) - These vehicles proved quite innefective and were designated as Supervisor cars."

Not a ringing endorsement. It also tells me what they thought of their supervisors!
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

If they did not perform well it must be their fault, a 289 4 brl. with Overdrive and a TT 4.09 Rear Axle would be a bit better than a 170 OHV 6! Da!

And that '61 4 Door might have been a bit better if they hadn't wrecked the right front corner!
                            StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Joe, that's why Matt has [sic] in there.

[sic] indicates he knows the original is wrong, but has copied it ver batim from the original. BP

Sometimes I am blind as a bat....didn't even think about the "sic".
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                                The Oklahoma Highway Patrol has there own FaceBook page and they now have posted three different shots of what appears to be a 1948 Business Coupe patrol car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19619[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19620[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]19621[/ATTACH]
                                The motorist receiving directions is driving a '41 Lincoln Zephyr four door sedan, the ladies broken-down car is a '46 Buick Super or Roadmaster Sedanette and the intoxicated fellow was driving his '42 Buick Super or Roadmaster sedan

Steve

Comment

Working...
                                X