No announcement yet.

Oklahoma HIghway Patrol Studebakers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those cars being 2drs is strange....they must not of taken too many prisoners in those days !
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

If they took a prisoner, the lack of a back door would keep them securly in the car. No need for modifying the rear doors so that they wouldn't open from the inside.
      Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
      Those cars being 2drs is strange....they must not of taken too many prisoners in those days !
      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
      1950 Champion Convertible
      1950 Champion 4Dr
      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
        Thanks for the input Officer Dave, tell us more about the museum car ... year, make and model (I'm ignorant on pre-war Studebakers and all other makes).
        The OHP car is a '37, and I believe the SPD unit is a '39.
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

And even stranger still, that they did not buy a 2 door Sedan! At least they did the right thing by getting a Commander though.
          It looks to me like they had red Lights in the Fog Light holes. This was obviously a "unmarked" type car without a bubblegum machine.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You gotta love them old photos

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
              Is the one pictured in this thread yours, by chance? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

Craig
              Most likely not, # 19 was probably Factory Order 40566 spec'ed for Metro Dade County, FL. Mine was Factory Order 40549, and was #2 ( I think), and was painted Wisconsin Silvertone Grey and Black. The one in the picture may have been repainted Dade County colors after the photo, it's a great picture, wish I had a full size glossy of it. I have the 8 page 9/12/63 Engineering Specification Deviation Sheets, that I could fax to anybody who wants a copy.

Comment

Originally posted by mike cenit View Post
                I have the 64 Marshall that was spec'ed out as a Wisconsin State police car. It was was one of the 20 or so sample police cars built in Sept 1963, this one is a R1, 3 speed, no overdrive
                This is an interesting Car Mike, does it have a H.D. 3 speed T-85 from the leftover '58 Goldenhawk warehouse stock?
                I always thought that they should have found a way to shoehorn those into the X framed Avanti 3 Speeds, but they just had the weak T-86's.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Ford in the late 30's used the previous years model as "Standard" & the new face was on the De Luxe models.
                  So if the cars on those pictures would've been De Luxe I think they ought to be -37 & -38.

Comment

Most likely not, # 19 was probably Factory Order 40566 spec'ed for Metro Dade County, FL. Mine was Factory Order 40549, and was #2 ( I think), and was painted Wisconsin Silvertone Grey and Black. The one in the picture may have been repainted Dade County colors after the photo, it's a great picture, wish I had a full size glossy of it. I have the 8 page 9/12/63 Engineering Specification Deviation Sheets, that I could fax to anybody who wants a copy.
                    I would love a copy! So I'll make a fair trade and send you a CD with a high-resolution scan of the negative of the four photos I took of that car. That black car actually was a pale gray color, at least under the hood. And it had the HD column shift 3-speed standard. One item it had was a GT Hawk-like flat stainless piece below the window on the driver's door only. I've seen other Marshals, and that WI car is the only one I've seen to date with that.

Craig
                    Last edited by 8E45E; 12-22-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Not sure the build out sheet lists the transmission as item 17 "std trans", engine # JTJ320

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        This is an interesting Car Mike, does it have a H.D. 3 speed T-85 from the leftover '58 Goldenhawk warehouse stock?
                        I always thought that they should have found a way to shoehorn those into the X framed Avanti 3 Speeds, but they just had the weak T-86's.
                        This is because 'four speeds' were the 'in' thing.....a H.D. 3 speed option would have been seen at the time as a step in the wrong direction!

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                          I would love a copy! That black car actually was a pale gray color, at least under the hood. And it had the HD column shift 3-speed standard. One item it had was a GT Hawk-like stainless piece below the window on the driver's door. I've seen other Marshals, and that WI car was the only one I've seen to date with that.

Craig
                          I'm sure the black car is mine, I have had it since 1988, and still have the WI plate that came on it someplace, I'm going to find it, it does have the chrome window sills, on all four doors, so it might have been a option, I'm kind of new at this, if it's allowed send me your fax and/or e-mail and I'll get it out to you, with a picture of the car as it is now, it's white with a black "v" stripe on the hood, and star on the doors.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            This is because 'four speeds' were the 'in' thing.....a H.D. 3 speed option would have been seen at the time as a step in the wrong direction!
                            The car was built to Wisconsin spec's which called for 3 speed no overdrive, which may have come from one of the Big Three, strange was AMC did not submit a car for this evaluation.

Comment

The car was built to Wisconsin spec's which called for 3 speed no overdrive, which may have come from one of the Big Three, strange was AMC did not submit a car for this evaluation.
                              That car also had an AM/FM radio. Is that still present in it?

As far as the stainless door tops, It could have been on the other doors as well. The only time I saw this car was in 1983.

Craig
                              Last edited by 8E45E; 12-22-2012, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Richard Q. (of course) has the car properly identified as a five passenger coupe.

In 1961, the used car lot that I was working in purchased a fleet of police cars from a town in Connecticut. They were all 1961 Plymouth two door sedans with V8 and three speed standard.
                                Gary L.
                                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                                X