Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts?

As usual, I'm looking for a winter project, but something that would have to move on come spring, after I play with/improve it a little. Projects like this help me keep busy during the winter months, allow me afford to keep my '54, and go to meets, etc.

I came across this car on craigslist, and ignored it for as long as I could.

Like all modifieds (mine included,) it has some touches that others would, "Not have done that way." That aside, it's a nice car, and the seller has put a lot of effort into making it mechanically reliable (DRIVABLE,) which is more important than cosmetics.

I have already worked him down from his asking price, but we are still a couple of grand apart.

Here 'tis:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3405931327.html

Tell me what ya think... and, if someone falls in love with it, and is willing to give the guy more than I think I can, that's OK, too. He has been laid off, it's Christmas, and I would rather see someone give him more, and love it as a keeper, rather than have me make a few bucks flipping it.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Probably a great driver.....but the way it's been modified (body/paint) I'd say He's 'reaching' at that price.

Comment

Comment

BuFORD is quite accustomed to being placed outside under a tarp to accommodate "visiting" Studes! <G>
        sigpic
        Dave Lester

Comment

I think it LOOKS fine Dave!
          What really makes me wonder though is it says "283 with 350 Turbo Trans.", so why would it have TWO master Hydraulic Cylinders? ...It USED to be a Hydraulic Clutch?

If it were mine I would add door handles, Gran Turismo Script and get some kind of Shiny Wheels or Wheel Covers, flat BLACK Wheels...I don't think so.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            I think it LOOKS fine Dave!
            What really makes me wonder though is it says "283 with 350 Turbo Trans.", so why would it have TWO master Hydraulic Cylinders? ...It USED to be a Hydraulic Clutch?

If it were mine I would add door handles, Gran Turismo Script and get some kind of Shiny Wheels or Wheel Covers, flat BLACK Wheels...I don't think so.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

To be quite honest, Dave, I wouldn't have done it that way. Maybe its the black grill and wheels. I'm with you I think the asking price is about 2k high. Of course the price depends on how well all those body mods have been done.
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Interesting, Dave. I would carefully look at the firewall-mounted master cylinder setup to make sure it is properly done with reinforcements and not subject to fatigue from poor engineering.

You wouldn't want to start driving it and have the firewall crack around those master cylinder attaching points and cause trouble. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  To be quite honest, Dave, I wouldn't have done it that way. Maybe its the black grill and wheels. I'm with you I think the asking price is about 2k high. Of course the price depends on how well all those body mods have been done.
                  The seller mentioned that he still had the original grill. The grill surround has been "frenched?"

MY thoughts are that the body mods have been professionally done, and have held up well. If I am wrong, it has been long enough since they were done, that flaws will be apparent upon inspection.

Original grill, shiny wheels, door handles... what else say ye?
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    Probably a great driver.....but the way it's been modified (body/paint) I'd say He's 'reaching' at that price.
                    Agreed... the seller and I have negotiated to a point substantially below his asking price, yet are still $2K shy of a sale at this point... subject to change, perhaps, with some movement, either way.
                    sigpic
                    Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                      Interesting, Dave. I would carefully look at the firewall-mounted master cylinder setup to make sure it is properly done with reinforcements and not subject to fatigue from poor engineering.

You wouldn't want to start driving it and have the firewall crack around those master cylinder attaching points and cause trouble. BP
                      Agreed!

(Filling required space.)
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

Well to be honest Im not a fan of the two tone, the 283 or the painted grill. If it were mine, Id dump a 302 into it, paint it solid black and put the stock grill back on.

Comment

Well Dave, since you asked, usually tu-tone with white on the bottom doesn`t work for me, but in this case, I really like it, and like the constrast of the engine compartment. As others have suggested, some bling will be required in the wheel dept. What I really think it needs is some bling around the windshield, just doesn`t look right on a formal roofed GT with no stainless. Other than those easily changed things, go for it, as long as it`s solid runner I`m sure you`ll have lots of fun with it. Regards, Junior.
                          sigpic
                          1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

I'm O.K. with tinted windows, but they don't work on this two-tone. Or the black wheels. Don't know what you would plan to do to it, but trying to flip it would be very chancy. But if you're just lookin' for something to do...
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I do like the two tone, gives it a very classy look IMO. I think the two master cylinders are a different way to achieve a dual master cylinder result. A single pedal actuates both. I have seen others done this way, not sure why though. Aside from a possible wheel change, I think adding AC would add good value if your goal is to profit from it. Good luck!
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA
                              Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Working...
                              X