A Good Read: Stu Chapman's My Father the Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Read: Stu Chapman's My Father the Car

'Finally got around to finishing the remainder of Stu Chapman's Auto-Auto Biography, My Father the Car. (I still don't understand the title, so I figure it must be a Canadian geneology thing Gord or Craig will explain sooner or later.)

Anyway, this is a great book that is to be recommended for anyone interested in what was going on, especially in the mysterious and often-confusing 1964-1966 period. Stu presents a good deal of insight that could be garnered by no one unless they were really there.

Considering what Stu reports were the events of the last several months of production, he must've got a real chuckle of my proposed scenario in the April 2012 Turning Wheels Co-Operator.

Silly me; like so many fellow Studebaker nuts with their head in the sand, we were operating under the bizarre assumption that Studebaker's Board of Directors was actually interested in the Automobile Business after January 1, 1964. HA! You don't have to read between many of Stu's lines to know "the rest of the story" ...and, boy, is it interesting.

A good read, Stu; thank you for taking the time to record your thoughts and observations for posterity. (If the book is still in print -it is copyright 2009 and I'm sure Stu will post- it would make a dandy delayed Christmas present for any Studebaker devotee. BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 12-20-2012, 05:37 PM.
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

The book can still be purchased through AOAI or SNM.

I read it cover-to-cover when I first got it (2009, I guess).
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Bought a copy from Stu at York a few years ago. It's a fascinating read.
      I suspect Stu feels the entire automotive industry influenced him as much as a father could. I also suspect he may be playing a bit of humor; making reference to the 1965-66 TV sitcom "My Mother the Car" with Jerry VanDyke.

At about five minutes in to the first episode a '53 coupe cruises right as the '28 Porter cruises left.

http://www.hulu.com/my-mother-the-car

Last edited by rockne10; 12-20-2012, 07:22 PM.
      "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Good read and makes a good Christmas gift.
        sigpic
        55 President Deluxe
        64 Commander
        66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Bob, I think the title refers to the car (Studebaker) and car industry teaching many things to Stu in a way a Father would. Certainly a great read.
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
            Bought a copy from Stu at York a few years ago. It's a fascinating read.
            I suspect Stu feels the entire automotive industry influenced him as much as a father could. I also suspect he may be playing a bit of humor; making reference to the 1965-66 TV sitcom "My Mother the Car" with Jerry VanDyke. [/
            'Good point. Hadn't thought of that. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              'Good point. Hadn't thought of that. BP

John's comment is absolutely correct. Paragraph 2 of Chapter 1 explains the reasoning for the title. The initial printing in 2009 was sold out by my publisher in January of this year and it was reprinted in March.

Thank you Bob for your great support, and thanks also to the other members who enjoyed it and commented here. As Gary has stated, you can purchase my book from the Studebaker National Museum or the Avanti Owners Association International through their respective websites. If you're in the Daytona area of Florida, the Living Legends of Auto Racing Museum also carries it. Local Hamilton Ontario buyers can obtain it at The Framing Warehouse, 98 John Street North. And my publisher, MT Publishing of Evansville Indiana, would be glad to look after you. I've only 1 copy left in my supply.

The summer of 2013 will mark 50 years of my direct association with Studebaker. I never seem to amaze myself when my memory bank comes alive when someone raises a question about this wonderful car and its tragic demise, particularly when I sometimes forget what I did the other day. I hope I can continue this dialogue with members for many years to come, either through The Forum, Turning Wheels or you can email me at schapman5@cogeco.ca.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Here is the link to order Stu's book securely from the AOAI:

http://www.aoai.org/shop/product.php?productid=20

Lew Schucart
                Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

I have a couple of Studebaker books I'd like to sell cheap.....PM me for details.......

Comment

I agree that Stu did a great job on his book. It is very interesting plus I learned several new things about Studebaker.

Denny L

Comment

As a career Public Affairs guy (USAF 1981-2001), I can't imagine a more thankless job than doing PR for a sinking ship.
                      63 Avanti R1 2788
                      1914 Stutz Bearcat
                      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                        As a career Public Affairs guy (USAF 1981-2001), I can't imagine a more thankless job than doing PR for a sinking ship.
                        You certainly have that right John. At least I was able to handle PR successfully for our clients for 32 years after we closed down. When we started Chapman Morris Advertising in 1966, our Studebaker connection provided valuable business leads for which I will always be grateful. In fact Studewbaker Corporation became one of our first clients as we handled all the advertising for the sale of its Canadian properties.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Just ordered my copy. Don't any of you tell me, "The butler did it".
                          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                          1950 Champion Convertible
                          1950 Champion 4Dr
                          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Stu's book is a really great read. I too got my copy from Stu at York. I have read the book a couple of times and it only gets better with the second read.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                              Just ordered my copy. Don't any of you tell me, "The butler did it".
                              No, he didn't. It was Byers Burlingame and Associates. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Working...
                              X