Purchase From Studebaker Dealer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase From Studebaker Dealer

Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? Three other Forum members come to mind, but I was wondering if there are others. I want to limit this to current Forum members, not members of their families, etc.
    Last edited by studegary; 12-18-2012, 01:02 PM. Reason: 2 to 3
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Originally posted by studegary View Post
    Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? Two other Forum members come to mind, but I was wondering if there are others. I want to limit this to current Forum members, not members of their families, etc.
    I may be one of the two coming to your mind, but anyhow... I bought a new '61 Cruiser from Don Schmid Motor(s), Inc in Wichita, Kansas in January 1961. I traded that car on a new Daytona Wagonaire at Joe Egle Motor Imports (also sold British cars) in Olathe, Kansas in April 1964. I don't know how long Don Schmid sold Studebakers, but Joe Egle continued selling Studebakers until the shutdown in Hamilton was announced.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I did, just barely, buying a 64 Avanti R 1 in February 1966, taking delivery on April 1st (an often used personal property tax dodge in Illinois when personal property tax was much more relied on). I purchased the Avanti from Associated Motors, Jack Hardy being the salesman and one of the principle owners, in Canton Illinois. They were still selling new "Canadian" Studes at the time and had picked up a Dodge dealership which they had until the mid-seventies when the downtown was redeveloped. I was a senior in high school at the time and remember taking out a $1000 loan to complete the purchase after depleting most of my savings account.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

I purchased a used, 1962, Studebaker Daytona 2Dr Hardtop from Newman and Altmann Studebaker in South Bend in 1965. I was a senior at Mishawaka High School. The Daytona had been a Studebaker corporate car,(one of the VP's) and my Grandfather knew I was looking for a different car. My 61 Corvair Monza was giving me fits. My grandfather worked at the South Bend plant until he retired, just a couple months prior to the plant shutting down. He kept in touch with many of his co workers after retirement. He had knowledge of the Daytona becoming available and it became my pride and joy. So, I didn't purchase a new Studebaker while they were available, but a used one from a dealer while they were still selling new Studebakers. At that time, there were still new Studebaker Avantis available that had not sold. I couldn't even come close to affording one, they were over $3000. I almost bought a DKW from Freeman Spicer Studebaker in South Bend, but common sense somehow took over and I didn't.
        Last edited by thunderations; 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM.
        sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
        1950 Champion Convertible
        1950 Champion 4Dr
        1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
        1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Paul J. was one of the four that I had in mind. Paul W. adds a fifth. Hopefully, there are more. John P. and George K. were the other remaining two that I had in mind.

EDIT: Ken W. brought the total to six while I was posting this.
          Last edited by studegary; 12-18-2012, 01:31 PM.
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

I bought a new 1959 Silver Hawk from a dealership in Helena, Montana. Dealer name escapes me but I think it was Capital Motors or something like that.

Comment

Now seven. This is adding up faster than I expected.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

FWIW, I bought a used 64 Champ P/U from former Stude Dealer Herman Smith, of Smith Motors, Lebanon Pa. when he was selling used cars for a used car dealer in the 80's. I know, I know, that's not what you were looking for! :-)
                JS
                I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I was with my dad when he picked up his new '61 Hawk from Pabich Motors in Roselle, Il.....
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Purchased a Avanti R5051 from Bendix Motors, in Fairview, New Jersey on Oct 24,1963. Still have it !
                    Bob Caser
                    mrbobinc

Comment

Yes indeed, Clive Sales & Service was still in operation in 1979 when I made some purchases from them. Laurence Williams, the proprietier of the dealership still had an active account with Newman & Altman at the time ordering parts (mainly mechanical) on a regular basis as there were still a number of 'daily driver' Studes around then.

Craig

Comment

Bought a 62 Lark 2DR. Sedan Deluxe from Keys Motors on Lankershime Blvd in North Hollywood in Sept. of 62, just as the 63's were coming in. I wanted that Avanti bad but I couldn't afford the $5,500 price tag at the time. The Lark cost me $2,800.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Something that I was wondering about - Other than me, how many on the Forum purchased a Studebaker from an authorized Studebaker dealer while that dealer was still selling new Studebakers? /Cut/
                          I barely made it under the wire! Since you did not say a New Stude.!

Yes I bought a Used '52 Commander 232 V-8, 2 Door Sedan with Overdrive and Dual Exhausts from the dealership my Dad worked at: Frank H. Afton in Inglewood, CA in 1962.

I was with Dad on Dec. 24, 1964 when we picked up his New Canadian built Astra White '64 Daytona Hardtop however. It cost him $2500.00 it was a leftover '64, after the '65 Models came out so it was discounted. He figured it was his last chance to get a new Stude. with a real Stude. Engine so he had to have it.
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

I'll raise my hand. May 30th. 1964, a brand new 63' 8E5 Champ PU, T-4 Cab, short wide box with a Skybolt Six, 3 speed (no OD), TT, rear bumper, color White. Purchased from "The Studebaker Center" on Westlake Ave. in Seattle, Wash. Price $2050 out the door, no trade in. They remained a Studebaker dealer to the end in '66 then later with Toyota.
                            Dean

CLEM

Comment

Gary, I think you'll find quite a few of us that fit into the category of buying a Stude from a Stude dealer while new Studes were being sold. I'm 64 and consider myself one of the younger Stude owners that would have been able to have that experience.
                              sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                              X