Automotive News - Dealer Counts, October 1, 1965

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automotive News - Dealer Counts, October 1, 1965

As I continue to clean the basement, I will post some tidbits from a few boxes of Automotive news (the automotive trade publication) I came across, as I have issues from the '50s - '70s.

First up, domestic (USA) dealer counts, as of October 1, 1965

AMC.................2,709
    Chrysler........... 6,484
    Ford.................7,425
    GM.................13,680
    Studebaker........1,524

Of Studebaker's 1,524 dealers, 213 were dualed with another domestic make. Of course, many Stude dealers were also selling an import or two, but I do not have the figures on this.
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

It was really too late by then as we had lost all trucks and Hawks, not to forget our engines and design teams. Of course we had basically a 1953 body with "modern" ends, but had those dealers made more effort perhaps the Automotive Division may have been able to justify its existence by producing a profit and convincing the board, bankers and shareholders it was worth funding.
    John Clements
    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

What could dealers have done in 1965 to make a bigger effort to sell the cars they were offered to sell? It really seems that corporate had already given up on their automotive division. It was noble, if nothing else, for Studebaker of Canada to give it a last shot, but the writing must have already been on wall.
      Joe Roberts
      '61 R1 Champ
      '65 Cruiser
      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
        What could dealers have done in 1965 to make a bigger effort to sell the cars they were offered to sell? It really seems that corporate had already given up on their automotive division. It was noble, if nothing else, for Studebaker of Canada to give it a last shot, but the writing must have already been on wall.
        Its too bad the Claritone-CMI deal didn't work out, although we would have seen Japanese cars rebadged as Studebakers.

Craig

Comment

Looking at the numbers again, it just occured to me that on average, Studebaker's dealers were selling roughly ONE car a month. It had to be a lonely time for a new car salesman at a Stude dealer.
          Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
          \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Does the Archive have lists of the Dealers?

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
              Does the Archive have lists of the Dealers?
              i don't know if anyone has cataloged dealers by location or dates, that is still available online, but this may help someone to take on that task : http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?1021-Studebaker-Dealers&highlight=dealers

Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
              X