Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got a '64 Cruiser today

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Got a '64 Cruiser today

    A while back I bought out everything Studebaker that a local junkyard had, and this was the last complete car out there. Today it finally came to my yard. Unfortunately it has fallen by the way side since the last time I looked at it. The front doors used to open and close smoothly, the rears still do. The hood got hit by the loader, and the front fenders never were there. I guess this car was last plated and driven in 2001. It came to the junkyard for brake repairs, but the mechanic at the time was not experienced in Studebakers and said it would cost more to do the brakes than the car was worth, and there it sat until I got it. It's too bad really, this was a well taken care of car from what I can tell. Sitting in the yard didn't do it many favors, the middle of the frame is, well, not much left... It could be possible to lift this thing up, cut out the rotten section of the frame, and weld in new C channel, but we'll see. If nothing else, I got a good 289 and other salvage out of it.




    Chris Dresbach

  • #2
    Wow. That's a project. But it's amazing the dash is in such good shape! It reminds me of how tornadoes can level one house and leave the one next door untouched.
    "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

    Comment


    • #3
      You should save that dash and trunk lid (indoors).
      It looks like the body tag had a streamer. I wonder what it was. A lot of 1960s South Bend cars had streamers that said "special sills" and other similar things.
      This poor Cruiser even had to tow a trailer <G>.
      We have previously discussed where the STP labels should go on the breather/fill caps. This car has one of each - at the base and mid-way. I guess it was just where the operator happened to place them.
      They thought that the brakes were expensive to do and it doesn't even have disc brakes.
      I wouldn't classify it as a "complete car".
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

      SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

      Comment


      • #4
        It is very hard to tell from the fuzzy celphone Pic of the Engine, but it appears to have a modified "Snorkel" on the Air Cleaner, much larger than any stock 2 or 4 Brl. unit and I also see Dual Exhausts.
        Is a AFB Carter 4 Brl. hiding under there?

        Good score Chris on the 289 Flight-O-Matic, they originally had a higher RPM stall speed on the Converter!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

        Comment


        • #5
          I was thinking less caffeine
          Good parts car
          Mono mind in a stereo world

          Comment


          • #6
            Even if it is parted out, Chris, list it in the Cruiser registry. It will long be remembered there. (with pictures).

            Mark

            Comment


            • #7
              Cut out the section of rusted frame, remove the front doors and shorten the car.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

              Comment


              • #8
                64V-11650. I think I will look up the build sheet for the car and see if it has any surprises. It does have a Carter 4bbl. Dual exhaust, and I think the rear end is good too.
                Chris Dresbach

                Comment


                • #9
                  So if your selling parts, my list starts with the carb, the power steering equipment, the steering column...
                  Tom - Bradenton, FL

                  1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Likewise, if you decide to dismantle, if the steering wheel is good, I'm interested (unless Swifster includes it with his steering column).
                    Sue

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      A while back I bought out everything Studebaker that a local junkyard had, and this was the last complete car out there. Today it finally came to my yard. Unfortunately it has fallen by the way side since the last time I looked at it. The front doors used to open and close smoothly, the rears still do. The hood got hit by the loader, and the front fenders never were there. I guess this car was last plated and driven in 2001. It came to the junkyard for brake repairs, but the mechanic at the time was not experienced in Studebakers and said it would cost more to do the brakes than the car was worth, and there it sat until I got it. It's too bad really, this was a well taken care of car from what I can tell. Sitting in the yard didn't do it many favors, the middle of the frame is, well, not much left... It could be possible to lift this thing up, cut out the rotten section of the frame, and weld in new C channel, but we'll see. If nothing else, I got a good 289 and other salvage out of it.
                      <<<
                      Chris, congrats on getting your newest Stude!

                      I have a feeling the "ULTIMATE" Stude prize for you will be a RED
                      , one-owner, 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk
                      IF BIG smile!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                        Chris, congrats on getting your newest Stude!

                        I have a feeling the "ULTIMATE" Stude prize for you will be a RED
                        , one-owner, 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk
                        that has not seen the light-of-day for 35+ years …and it’s only about 4 miles from your house!!!

                        The owner is a former Studebaker Engineer whose projects at Studebakers included the "independent rear suspension." He bought this GT Hawk through Newman & Altman with some (test?) miles on it. Every time I ask him …IF …this Hawk had some "Studebaker Engineering Dept. goodies added," he never gives me an answer …only a very BIG smile!!!
                        No kidding? Just when I thought I knew every Studebaker in the area...
                        Chris Dresbach

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by crusinsusin View Post
                          Likewise, if you decide to dismantle, if the steering wheel is good, I'm interested (unless Swifster includes it with his steering column).
                          I'll get back with you guys on parts soon. It literally just got to my yard yesterday so I haven't had a chance to look it over yet and see what's good and what's not. The steering wheel would make a good beater, it has a few small cracks. It matches the car, brown on white.
                          Chris Dresbach

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I'll sacrifice the steering wheel... LOL!
                            Tom - Bradenton, FL

                            1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                            1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                              No kidding? Just when I thought I knew every Studebaker in the area...
                              No kidding!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X