Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    I haven't given either car a close examination, but I gotta be honest when I talk about the fact that they've both been out in the weather for a number of years. Since all the original glass is in mostly-intact condition on the Provincial, I'd hope that the interior, including the floor pan, have been spared a lot of corrosion & degradation. It's also been on blocks since it was mothballed, so I think that will help.

Leave a comment:

• Mrs K Corbin
    replied
    That provincial looks worth saving! how's the floor pan?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    I haven't given the interiors of either car a good, hard examination, but I'd venture to say neither one would come close to "pristine" condition. The wagon's glass is mostly still intact, windows rolled up and weatherproof, so I'm sure that helps. Not being an expert, I'd say the glass, trim, body parts, bumpers, mirrors & frames would be of the most value to collectors, since those parts are in mostly good condition. If the seats would be of any value for their "original" status, that would be great, but I'm sure they'd all need to be totally gone through to be of any use.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    You keep mentioning that the cars haven't been made since the sixties. It has been since 1966 model year to be precise. This has never been the issue. It's simply that the appeal for this small manufacturer is just that... small. They like the Nash, Hudson, and so on are different looking. A lot of afficionados of classic cars don't want different. They often won't risk having something that isn't admired as 'the thing.' The ego is a fragile thing sometimes...

I will still stand by what I said though. Studebaker owners have a tendency to be... thrifty. Thus, getting a price quote for a vehicle like this is going to be difficult. All the same, both of these vehicles are worth far more in pieces than whole. For instance, that tailgate light/emblem is likely the most valuable item on the car! They're simply not available. The fact this car has one is good for it.

So, what condition is the interior of the Wagon? Is the headliner intact? How are the seats? It looks decent through the windows (what little is visible), aside from the junk stored in it. It's hard to stop looking at the pictures of this car I haven't the cash for.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    Finally!!! Someone who's willing to put it in writing!! Ron, thank you for taking a couple minutes to do what I've been looking for since I originally put this entry up on this site: Simply give me SOME idea as to what these cars are worth! I'm dismayed to hear that Studebakers don't hold their value as much as the Big Three (BIG surprise, given that they haven't been made since the '60's), but at least you've given me a ballpark figure I can work with. Thanks again.
    Last edited by Pete Wellendorf; 12-16-2012, 06:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• studeclunker
    replied
    Pete, Like any classic car, value has a great deal to do with condition. Unless the interior of these cars is perfect, I doubt they'll be worth much more than what you mentioned. However, I'm not the most flush member here either. We have an acronym for people like me: Cheap A$$ Studebaker Owner or CASO. I'm that way by necessity, some are just... thrifty.

That wagon should sell without any trouble, it's beautiful. Wish I had the cash, I'd give you what I paid for my Bess and RUN down to Porterville to get it. However, I see that back tailgate deck and just shudder. There's a valance between the base of the tailgate and the bumper that was very prone to rust, not to mention the base of the tailgate itself. All that crap sitting on it would only hasten such a problem. Thankfully both of these cars are sitting in California, so rusty frames shouldn't be a problem. However, the way that sedan is sitting leaves me somewhat dismayed.

Studebakers don't sell for the prices that the big three sell for. Often about half or less of a comperable Chevy or Ford. However, the asking price you mentioned is quite workable. Like I said, wish I had the cash, I'd be down there and snap up both of them! I've got the room for them too! Well... for now anyway.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    The fact of the matter is, I really DON'T know the value of these cars. I don't fiddle with Studebakers in any way, shape or form, so I'm pretty much in the dark as to what amount would be considered a decent price. I know that Studebakers weren't made for very long, so they're relatively rare compared to the Chevy's & Ford's of the world. I DO own two Chevy pickups, a '65 & a '69, and know how much replacement parts for those vehicles are worth. So, I could use that knowledge as a yardstick of sorts; factoring in how much the useable parts would fetch, etc... From THAT perspective, I'd say these vehicles would be worth at least $500 each in parts alone. I also believe that if a dedicated restorer wanted to bring either of these back to original condition, they COULD fetch even more, since they're mostly unaltered from their original factory configurations, particularly the Provincial. Is $500 an unreasonable price for a 1957 Studebaker in their present condition? I honestly don't know.
    Last edited by Pete Wellendorf; 12-18-2012, 05:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    I'm thirty miles away. Fact is, I was at Ave. 204 and Road 254 to haul home a Stude three days ago. They're YOUR cars - spell out a price. I have always said: "It's your stuff - it's not my place to price them for you." You must have a sell/no sell figure in your head. What is it?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
    If I wasn't in the middle of multiple family emergencies-
    I'd be all over these two...
    and/or the Classic down in Grant's Pass!!!

Hey Dave, just keep me posted on your situation; the way it's looking, you'll probably still have a good shot at these vehicles when you're able to pursue them. Like I said, we're not looking for a fortune, just a reasonable price; when you're ready, make us an offer!
    Last edited by Pete Wellendorf; 12-16-2012, 07:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    replied
    Thanks to StudeDave & Kurtruk for their assistance & input

Leave a comment:

• StudeDave57
    replied
    If I wasn't in the middle of multiple family emergencies-
    I'd be all over these two...
    and/or the Classic down in Grant's Pass!!!

Leave a comment:

• kurtruk
    replied
    Here's the original thread with pictures.

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...641#post698641

Leave a comment:

• thunderations
    replied
    A lot more imformation is required. Detailed pictures would be good. What's a "little money"?

Leave a comment:

• Pete Wellendorf
    started a topic '57 Commander & Provincial

'57 Commander & Provincial

I've got still (2) 1957 Studebakers, one is a Commander sedan (2-door) & the other is a Provincial wagon. They've both been outside for awhile, so they're pretty rough, but would probably be good as misc. parts cars. They both have the original paint & bumpers; most of the original glass; a lot of the original trim is still there and in decent shape. My dad was holding on to both of them for no apparent reason; never seemed to have any interest in restoring them. Now my mom is looking to sell them to people who will get the best possible use out of them and make a little money at the same time.

*IMPORTANT NOTE*: We don't want "pickers" coming in & buying a part here, a part there, and end up with two skeletonized hunks of rust sitting there 20 years from now. What we really need to do is simply sell these vehicles as-is & get them off my mom's property. While I don't know the exact as-is value of these vehicles, I do know they're worth considerably more as parts vehicles than they are for scrap. We're not looking to get rich off of these cars, just a fair deal. Is $500 apiece a fair deal? Make us an offer & let's move on from there. Thanks for your interest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Commander #1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	1736964Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincial #3.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1736965Click image for larger version

Name:	Provincial #4 (2).jpg
Size:	96.6 KB