No announcement yet.

1962 Pace Cars: Let's Get Serious...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did these cars have a special tag attached to the body tags under the hood? Are the body numbers know?

Gordon S

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
      Did these cars have a special tag attached to the body tags under the hood? Are the body numbers known? Gordon S
      To the best of my knowledge, there were no additional tags (streamers) attached to the body number tags.

Yes, because the Serial Numbers are known, the Body Numbers are also known. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        To the best of my knowledge, there were no additional tags (streamers) attached to the body number tags.

Yes, because the Serial Numbers are known, the Body Numbers are also known. BP

I found a 62 4 speed Daytona Convertible on Craigslist. When zooming in on the body tag I see a streamer. It gets fuzzy and unreadable. I asked about body numbers known because its less intrusive to look under an open hood than asking to see a VIN number. Some might even have pics of these cars and engine compartments with body tags in full view.

Gordon S

Comment

Originally posted by laughinlark View Post
          I found a 62 4 speed Daytona Convertible on Craigslist. When zooming in on the body tag I see a streamer. It gets fuzzy and unreadable. I asked about body numbers known because its less intrusive to look under an open hood than asking to see a VIN number. Some might even have pics of these cars and engine compartments with body tags in full view. Gordon S
          Good, Gordon. If the body tag has a streamer on top of it, it could be 4-speed. If so, it is not a Festival Car because they were all Flightomatics.

However, even better, it might be one of the 2 early 289/4-speed cars made for promotional work (pictures and such), or even -GASP- one the actual two PACE CARS, neither of which are accounted for.

Please see if you can get a Body Tag lower number (the actual body number) and then post it. I'll check it right away. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The festival cars were all built between 2063 V-8 serial numbers which divides out to one every 60+ cars. Taking customer orders in that comes to alot of convertibles going down the line during that time! Bet it kept the guys welding up the bodies really busy with all the extra parts that make up the convertible body!
            59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
            60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
            61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
            62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
            62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
            62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
            63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
            63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
            64 Zip Van
            66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
            66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The Convertible is to far away for me to check. Here is the link.
              http://oregoncoast.craigslist.org/cto/3525626770.html
              It might have been discussed already? Its hard for me to keep up on here lately. Even if its not a pace car its still a nice convertible.

Gordon S

Comment

I just inherited my grandfathers 1962 Lark Daytona convertible. He used to collect Studebakers and this one was his baby. He bought it in 1978 - had it restored and it's taken 1st place in every show it's been in including a national show - got a plaque on the dash. I have a 69' GTO and a 73' Firebird formula 455 too, I'm more into the muscle cars but people freak out over the Studebaker. It gets more attention than both of my muscle cars! It's crazy how much love people show this car. The VIN is 62V-I0450 - Idk much about the pace cars, but even if it is one of them and someone offered me a billion dollars for it...it's not for sale. It's was my g-pa's baby, gotta pass it down...
                Last edited by IGMOR; 06-28-2013, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Just for future reference. If we want to make record of some of these Craigslist ads, all you have to do is do a screen photo of the page with the most desirable picture in order to capture it. Then, once the ad is removed, the picture still exists. Contact phone numbers, VINs, body tags etc.
                  sals54

Comment

Sorry for opening up an old thread. I just wanted to post my pictures. I'm going through my photos. These belong here.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2035.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1841288
                    A 62 Daytona Convertible in the Conestoga Chapter. Photo from 1983 NC Zone Meet, Golden, CO.
                    It was an original Pace Car. It had a factory 4-speed. The owner said he did not like the lettering on the car so he painted it Red.

I saw a White 62 Pace car at 1987 Int'l Meet in Estes Park, CO.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	old pics scanned april 23 2016 022.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	1841289

Comment

Does anyone have a definitive list of the destinations of these cars? Just wondering because if some were sent out west they no doubt would have had a much better chance for survival.

I have a white Daytona convertible, rust free, original paint, interior and top, albeit tatty. It runs good, drives good and stops-can't ask for much more. I've owned it for about 28 years and it's an amazing survivor. I bought it from an old friend, Walt Thompson, who has dedicated a major part of his life to saving old cars, focusing on Studebaker, but not confined to the marque. No it does not seem to be one of the Indy. cars. It seems to have originally been sent to Las Vegas, but was in the PNW by the time Walt bought it during the 70's. I also own another rust free California Dayton convert, but not as original.

The reason the I mention it is that it's obvious that destination plays such a huge roll in predicting survival, if we knew which cars went west we might have a better chance for any kind of search . The odds with finding an original 62 convertible are about as good as winning the lottery, we just need to be able to dig a bit deeper.

Bill
                      Last edited by Hallabutt; 06-16-2020, 01:08 AM.

Comment

This discussion forced me to check the serial number of the Ermine White with blue interior ‘62 Daytona Convertible project car that is sitting in my garage. I was quite certain it was not a Pace Car since it was a Overdrive equipped car. I owned this very car once before in the early ‘70s - 289” 4 barrel, dual exhaust, 3 speed with overdrive, standard steering and brakes. Quite an interesting and nice driving car!
                        I sold it and it changed hands a couple of times. Then I ended up buying it about three years ago. 45 years had passed! It was stored inside but the top and top well had deteriorated badly. Somewhere along the way it got changed to a full flow 259” with a 4 speed. For unknown reasons it has an Avanti oil pan and breather and an Avanti vibration damper.
                        However, it is 62V25925 so preceded the various Indy cars.
                        If you wanted to build your own Pace Car Replica this would be a great candidate. Unlike many Convertible projects, this is structurally sound.

Comment

Cool! Although the four speeds probably have always been the first choice of enthusiasts the automatic equipped cars are probably a lot more likely to have survived. The place to look is in the west and south.
                          Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Working...
                          X