Pumpkin markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin markings

I expect some of you Stude mavens have seen this before, I hadn't. While cleaning my differential cover this marking witness appeared:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diff cover markings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	1736895

I see "HK70." I'm guessing its an assembly-line mark to identify what body style will go on the chassis, in this case a '58 Golden Hawk. Not sure what the zero might mean, though.

Steven Ayres, Prescott AZ
    58H-K7 660

I could only guess but it may be CK 70? Perhaps showing it is for a certain line number to fill a dealer order or vin? Just a thought.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The cover of the R3 I did had the numerical gear numbers, in orange grease pencil, an "OK" in yellow grease pencil, and a large daub of pink paint near the pinion flange on the main body. Also had yellow grease pencil slash across the filler plug as an assembly line inspection to tell inspectors it had been topped off. (I have seen the pink paint near the pinion on several different cars)
      Last edited by bezhawk; 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM.
      Bez Auto Alchemy
      573-318-8948
      http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

My guess is that it is the remains of junkyard identification marks, especially since it is up side down on the unit.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The writing is actually top-to-bottom on the cover (the fill plug is on the right). The car has never been junked (I'm the second owner) and I'm sure this cover is original to the car.

I have a daub of yellow paint on the top front of the pumpkin as well, but I haven't had a good look at it yet. THat'll probably have to wait till the body's off.

58H-K7 660

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Ayres View Post
            The writing is actually top-to-bottom on the cover (the fill plug is on the right). The car has never been junked (I'm the second owner) and I'm sure this cover is original to the car.

58H-K7 660
            I didn't mean to imply that the car had been junked. I meant that the rear end assembly had come from a junk yard. In fact, in another thread on this forum, I am discussing a 1958 Golden Hawk that had its rear end assembly changed before the Hawk was ten years old (utilizing a used assembly). That Golden Hawk was, and is, an excellent car.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Again, I'm certain the cover and the diff are original to the car.

58H-K7 660

Comment

Working...
              X