Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New interior yields nicer '63 Avanti R-2333

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New interior yields nicer '63 Avanti R-2333

    First I'd like to thank Bellingham-Studenut for the carpet set he sold me and then give credit to Klassic Rides in Denver, NC for some excellent workmanship on my car. The work recently completed includes re-upholster seats, replace carpet, new windshield and fix a dozen leaks. The ol' Ghostrider is looking better all the time. She also runs pretty darn good after Jon Myer rebuilt my supercharger and my brother re-tuned her. I've attached some pics after all the recent work. Owning an Avanti is a labor of love. You can never get back the money you spend on repair and upgrades. But the cars are just so darn cool it's worth it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by edpjr; 12-06-2012, 06:38 PM.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

  • #2
    The ambient light in that second engine picture looks ike the chrome is tinted purple! On a separate note, I would hate to see what that unrestrained fire extinguisher would do to you in an accident!
    ~Matt Connor
    '59 Lark 2-door

    Comment


    • #3
      To: edpjr,----I really like that new interior...and the photo of the front of Your Avanti with the headlamps turned on is quite spectacular!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thank you! It's going on 4 years and more $$$ than I care to think about, but I'm really pleased with my Avanti. Using this website I was able to hook up with a another Stude fan who sold me the NOS carpet set at about half what it would've cost to have one of the current vendors make a set. I was really impressed with the new tinted windshield too. The old one had a small crack and nearly 50 years worth of abrasions. Klassic Rides was able to stop all those nasty water leaks too. I actually let the car get rained on today with NO damage! There'll always be something to work on, but so far, so good. According to the build sheet, she turns 50 years old on 12/27.

        Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        To: edpjr,----I really like that new interior...and the photo of the front of Your Avanti with the headlamps turned on is quite spectacular!!
        edp/NC
        \'63 Avanti
        \'66 Commander

        Comment


        • #5
          The extinguisher is there because I actually had a car (1970 Chevelle) burn completely up into a total loss due to a sudden fuel leak back in the 70's. And this Avanti is made of plastic. Being an engineer, and considering where the small extinguisher is located behind the seat, I suspect I'd have to be T-boned on the passenger's side with great force to create a projectile effect. And even then the extinguisher would have to mysteriously arc about 30 degrees to score a direct hit on me. But thanks for your concern.

          Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          The ambient light in that second engine picture looks ike the chrome is tinted purple! On a separate note, I would hate to see what that unrestrained fire extinguisher would do to you in an accident!
          Last edited by edpjr; 12-05-2012, 10:21 PM.
          edp/NC
          \'63 Avanti
          \'66 Commander

          Comment


          • #6
            Very nice, indeed...I noticed that you used the Deluxe interior and not the Regal...my 1963 (R3062) has a Deluxe black/Fawn interior (Turquoise outside) and I have really come to like the "plainer" interior. Nice touch with the headlights on in the first pic...safe travels, Bob
            Last edited by AnAvanti4Bob; 12-06-2012, 12:42 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Bob, I just had them replace the upholstery with the same stuff that was already there in place - just worn out. I'm afraid I don't know the difference between deluxe and regal. I also wondered if the car would look better with turquoise or salt & pepper carpet, but decided to keep it original. Thanks! :-)

              Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
              Very nice, indeed...I noticed that you used the Deluxe interior and not the Regal...my 1963 (R3062) has a Deluxe black/Fawn interior (Turquoise outside) and I have really come to like the "plainer" interior. Nice touch with the headlights on in the first pic...safe travels, Bob
              edp/NC
              \'63 Avanti
              \'66 Commander

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                Bob, I just had them replace the upholstery with the same stuff that was already there in place - just worn out. I'm afraid I don't know the difference between deluxe and regal. I also wondered if the car would look better with turquoise or salt & pepper carpet, but decided to keep it original. Thanks! :-)
                The optional Regal interior has pleated seat and door inserts, while the (standard) Deluxe interior has perforated seat inserts and plain vinyl door sections. For 1963 the Deluxe turquoise interior is far rarer than the Regal as only 103 Avantis were so equipped. 601 of the optional Regal interiors were done in 1963 in turquoise as a comparison. The Deluxe interior was discontinued per order #174 dated 9-16-63 due to low sales volume and only the pleated interior was continued until the end of Studebaker Avanti production. The same Studebaker letter also noted that the "speckled" carpet(s) had been replaced by all black carpets. Prior to that change all Avantis with turquoise interiors (whether Regal or Deluxe) came with turquoise & black carpets according to the production data monograph on Avantis. I have found that people are intrigued, notice and comment on the Turquoise and black cabin interior carpet in my Avanti more than any other interior feature...Cheers, Bob

                BTW, the rarity of Deluxe vs. Regal interior holds for all colors: 537 (deluxe) vs. 3295 (regal) for 1963 (there were 2 special order interiors accounting for the difference in car totals vs. interior totals)
                Last edited by AnAvanti4Bob; 12-06-2012, 05:01 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by edpjr View Post
                  /Cut/First I'd like to thank Bellinghouse-Studenut for the carpet set he sold me/Cut/
                  Are you sure that wasn't "BELLINGHAM" Studenut from Bellingham, WA?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    You are correct! It is "ham" instead of "house." I need to edit, fix it and give credit where credit's due. Thanks!

                    Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Are you sure that wasn't "BELLINGHAM" Studenut from Bellingham, WA?
                    edp/NC
                    \'63 Avanti
                    \'66 Commander

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Thank you for the info. I had NO idea.


                      Originally posted by AnAvanti4Bob View Post
                      The optional Regal interior has pleated seat and door inserts, while the (standard) Deluxe interior has perforated seat inserts and plain vinyl door sections. For 1963 the Deluxe turquoise interior is far rarer than the Regal as only 103 Avantis were so equipped. 601 of the optional Regal interiors were done in 1963 in turquoise as a comparison. The Deluxe interior was discontinued per order #174 dated 9-16-63 due to low sales volume and only the pleated interior was continued until the end of Studebaker Avanti production. The same Studebaker letter also noted that the "speckled" carpet(s) had been replaced by all black carpets. Prior to that change all Avantis with turquoise interiors (whether Regal or Deluxe) came with turquoise & black carpets according to the production data monograph on Avantis. I have found that people are intrigued, notice and comment on the Turquoise and black cabin interior carpet in my Avanti more than any other interior feature...Cheers, Bob

                      BTW, the rarity of Deluxe vs. Regal interior holds for all colors: 537 (deluxe) vs. 3295 (regal) for 1963 (there were 2 special order interiors accounting for the difference in car totals vs. interior totals)
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X