Decided to gas up the Avanti for winter storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decided to gas up the Avanti for winter storage

We had a 75-degree day here. Hard to believe it's December 4.
    Anyhow, I decided to go fill the tank on the '64 Avanti. Since it was a nice day and the car was running so great I decided to cross over into Maryland (about 11 extra miles, 22 roundtrip) to fill up at $.36 per gallon less than our greedy West Virginia stations are charging. Considering the extra miles I probably barely broke even moneywise (17 gallons at $.36 saving each- $6.12 total), but I was having fun.
    Got in the car and turned the key- nothing. Wiggled the shift lever while holding the key- nothing. Nothing more embarrassing than being dead at the pump. So, I opened the hood, checked the battery connections- good. Opened the trunk and got out set of big channel lock pliers to cross the solenoid terminals (ALWAYS carry some tools). Since I could hardly even see it under the Turner dual master cylinder and the extra brake lines running close to it, I got several fireworks displays before I connected and the car started. Drove straight home, got chewed out by the wife for being gone so long and for not telling her that I was going to a more distant station than she thought (was worried that I had broken down somewhere). Drove directly in to the barn and shut down. Tried the key just to see. Still nothing so I guess my solenoid decided to stop solenoiding or the neutral safety switch decided to stop switching. Just what I need. Might make me more inclined to sell the car
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Don't fotget the FUEL ADDITVE, And start it one more time.

Johnny

Comment

A buddy of mine had similar troubles at South Bend during the meet in August. After a trip to Farm King for a new battery, a trip was made to NAPA for a new solenoid. Once he got it started with the new battery and the new solenoid installed, a 4 car caravan followed him back to Chicago. I think he also added a rebuilt starter to the list of replacements after he got back home. When I saw him last month, he said the problem was solved.
      sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Paul,

Regardless of the weather, it does seem that there is a black cloud that follows you around whenever you drive an Avanti. Did you break a side-view mirror somewhere along the way?
        Jim Bradley
        Lake Monticello, VA
        '78 Avanti II
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by toymobile View Post
          Don't fotget the FUEL ADDITVE, And start it one more time.

Johnny
          Thanks. I carried my bottle of Marine Formula Stabil with me and added it right after filling.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Rerun View Post
            Paul,

Regardless of the weather, it does seem that there is a black cloud that follows you around whenever you drive an Avanti. Did you break a side-view mirror somewhere along the way?
            I think you might have something there. However, my troubles with driving Avantis started back in '69 with R4720 and has never let up (sheared the pin in the clutch linkage on my way to Frost and French for a different repair- pretty sporty starting in gear at each of the 100 or so stop lights on Western Avenue then syncro-shifting).

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
              Thanks. I carried my bottle of Marine Formula Stabil with me and added it right after filling.

Good, that way if the fuel pump fails, the gasoline that fills your oil pan will stay fresh. (Been there, done that)
              JDP Maryland

Comment

My pump failed last spring in storage. I now have a clean oil pan. I had filled with ethanol by mistake.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                  Good, that way if the fuel pump fails, the gasoline that fills your oil pan will stay fresh. (Been there, done that)
                  Storing a car with a full fuel tank? YIKES!!! Store it bone dry. Run it down on fuel, syphon the last of the gas out, burn it in your driver car, then add a few ounces of motor oil to the last bit of gas in the tank and run it until it dies. Next spring fill it with fresh fuel. Overwintering with a full tank, and I don't care which *magical mystery* stuff you add, is a bad idea. Gasoline is at it's best the day you buy it and goes downhill every day thereafter.
                  Last edited by jnormanh; 12-06-2012, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X