No announcement yet.

Nice Studebaker National Museum Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We are becoming a nation of lazy spellers because of spell check. If spell check doesn't catch it it must be right...right?

Grizzly for Grisly not caught, many other words that are correct words but not appropriate to the context. Many young people simply don't know. Mute point for moot point is a pet peeve of mine.

In another 50 years all these words will be interchangible or combined, perhaps.
    Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post
      We are becoming a nation of lazy spellers because of spell check. If spell check doesn't catch it it must be right...right?

Grizzly for Grisly not caught, many other words that are correct words but not appropriate to the context. Many young people simply don't know. Mute point for moot point is a pet peeve of mine.

In another 50 years all these words will be interchangible or combined, perhaps.
      True, Tom...but have you been on the forum long enough to weigh in on the back-draft versus down-draft with 90-degree air horn carburetor "discussion?"

If not, "you ain't seen nothin,' yet." BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by t walgamuth View Post

You make a good point there. Many word usages and spellings that were incorrect when I went to school are now correct. I know that language changes over time, but the "progress" is too rapid for me.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Many word usages and spellings that were incorrect when I went to school are now correct.
          They are NOT correct.
          The whole point of language is to enable us to understand each other, and if spelling, punctuation, and grammar are not followed - then we do not communicate correctly or completely.

What is happening now is not evolution of language - it is DE-EVOLUTION.
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X